This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney's Spanish Speaking Princesses

Yep, Disneyland has been training a test group of about a half-dozen princesses to speak spanish to spanish speaking guests by March 7th. I guess that's good because everyone can experience the magic, but I think it will be weird. What about you?

I think it's just an extension of trying to make Disneyland more friendly for visitors from south of the border. Al reported that in a column a few months ago - and the signs are becoming obvious everywhere. They need to appeal to visitors from Mexico who will pay a higher price compared to the locals in Southern California who get in via discount promotions and APs.

Comment

It will definatlly keep in line with the surveys on the Spanish speaking guests who want more CMs to speak spanish. It will be intresting though!
      Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

Comment

problems with this.
        1. if they speak spanish is japanese next? with the demographics of the tourists that visit you would expect this right? what about the other languages that need to share the magic? Shouldn't cater to one and not the other right?
        2. How many spanish speakers come from mexico to the US to visit disneyland? and If they are allready living in the US shouldnt they at least know conversational english since this is a english speaking nation? (I could be opening a can of worms with this one)

Comment

I think it is beyond wierd! Last time I checked, English was still the official language of California, but if the D/L management thinks they should cater to that market, more power to them. To be fair to the demographics that visit, why don't they have Princessess that speak Chinese & Japanese or German or French, or.........slippery slope to me.
          Robert
          B5, Marcus Cole:
          I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair, then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserved them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe........

Comment

Just as long as they know WHO to speak to in Spanish, not all Spanish speaking people are dark skinned and not all dark skinned people speak Spanish.

Another thought my daughter (and most english speaking kids) will not understand! The princess's in the movies speak English, so how come she can't understand them now? She is bound to overhear them speaking a different language. This should be fun to explain to the "under 10" group.
            Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
            it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Will the Princesses be bilingual or just one or the other?
              Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
              http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!
              sigpic

Comment

This is silly. (checks to see if this is still the US)

Comment

Originally posted by MrLiver
                  I think it's just an extension of trying to make Disneyland more friendly for visitors from south of the border. Al reported that in a column a few months ago - and the signs are becoming obvious everywhere. They need to appeal to visitors from Mexico who will pay a higher price compared to the locals in Southern California who get in via discount promotions and APs.
                  I would wager that they get far more Spanish only customers from LA than from Mexico.

Comment

Keep in mind when we English speaking tourists travel to other countries they speak very good English to us. We didn't have to learn French in France/Spanish in Mexico/Gaelic in Scotland! You can travel around most of the world and not have to know any of the native languages.

- Wolfette

Comment

Originally posted by wolfy999
                      Keep in mind when we English speaking tourists travel to other countries they speak very good English to us. We didn't have to learn French in France/Spanish in Mexico/Gaelic in Scotland! You can travel around most of the world and not have to know any of the native languages.
                      being born in Scotland I can tell you that I dont know Gaelic because they speak english there!

Comment

Honestly, I understand that Southern California is about 60% Latino, and that means a lot of money for Disney, but I have to admit, I am a little peeved at the way Southern California treats American citizens. I understand the whole culture thing yada yada yada, but this IS America. And it is an English Speaking nation. That having been said, why can't Latinos who live in America speak spanish? It really makes no sense. There have been imigrants in America for as long as history can date, and they ALL learned how to speak English. Why are todays latinos an exception? And don't even say they're trying to market to Mexico, that's BS. It's all about catering to the American Latino family, because they know Latinos value family, which means the more people they will bring per visit... I think this is dumb, unfair, and just as annoying as the spanish safety warnings...

Comment

I don't mind characters becoming multi-lingual as a way to share the magic with tourists. But, if they are doing this to cater to SoCal residents who won't speak English, then I don't think it's cool.

I was at the mall over the weekend and this young kid asked her mom something in Spanish. The mother interrupted her, saying, "Spanish at home, but outside we speak English. Please ask me again in English." I loved it! Her mom was keeping their culture well-alive, but also making sure that her daughter would not have any boundaries with living here.

[powdered soap box] I don't think tourists should have to speak the country's language where they are visiting, but I do think if a person chooses to reside in a country, they should learn that country's language.[/powdered soap box]
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by zugzug15
                            being born in Scotland I can tell you that I dont know Gaelic because they speak english there!
                            Sorry didn't mean to insult anyone, but that really wasn't the point I was making....... :bow:

- Wolfette

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyphile
                              I don't mind characters becoming multi-lingual as a way to share the magic with tourists. But, if they are doing this to cater to SoCal residents who won't speak English, then I don't think it's cool.

I was at the mall over the weekend and this young kid asked her mom something in Spanish. The mother interrupted her, saying, "Spanish at home, but outside we speak English. Please ask me again in English." I loved it! Her mom was keeping their culture well-alive, but also making sure that her daughter would not have any boundaries with living here.

[powdered soap box] I don't think tourists should have to speak the country's language where they are visiting, but I do think if a person chooses to reside in a country, they should learn that country's language.[/powdered soap box]
                              I totally agree. I'm all for making the Disney experience more open to visitors from other countries, after all, we all should be able to enjoy the stories and plots of the attractions... but when you LIVE HERE? Ok, you are no longer supposed to be catered to. Join the rest of us U.S. citizens, grab hooked on phonics, and become part of this nation.

As you can tell the whole spanish issue makes me upset. I hated the fact that I had to learn spanish in high school, it seemed so stupid to me. It would be one thing if I had a choice, but you don't! And now, if you want to work at the SIMPLEST of jobs (i.e. fast food), you will almost always get overlooked if you don't speak spanish. That's not right.

Anyway, I'm starting to rant, but people need to learn that in America, we're all equal and we all must make compromises to keep our nation what it is. That having been said... SPEAK ENGLISH

Comment

Let's be honest here.

This move is partly about attracting Spanish speaking individuals visiting from Mexico and other Latin American countries. Disneyland is the most accessable resort to someone from say... Argentina or Chili.

It is partly about atracting Spanish (and not English) people living and working in the United States legally.

AND, it is partly about attracting Spanish speaking people that are working and living in the United States illegally.

%s? My guess that the lion's share of potential visitors they are looking to attract are the 3rd kind. While coming into the country without permission is illegal, and hiring someone here illegally is illegal, getting them to pay money to come to your theme park, not so much illegal.

Illegal imagration is a fact of life that will not be affected one-way or the other by Disney teaching its face characters to say, Hola, Como esta?, muy bien, gracias, de nada, adios...

Comment

ok....being a Latina, I am happy to hear this. When my family comes up from Mexico we have grandma, aunt, uncle, cousins brother and parents coming along. Big huge families and I am happy that my little Primas (cousins) will understand. Yes the princesses speak english here but when you see cinderella or Toy story in Mexico, on TV, its in spanish "al infinito y mas alla." So they can relate now with the princesses
                                  I also have family here, who still has a hard time with the language so this works out perfect. My mom is one of them and I have to translate for her all the time. She has learned the language enough to get around but doesn't have the time to get those stupid learning videos or take classes because ever since I can remember both my parents worked and have worked long hours so when they get home all they want to do is rest and the money they made went to food, my brothers and I.

So unless you don't know the situation don't open your mouth!!

Comment

Originally posted by LAURA
                                    I also have family here, who still has a hard time with the language so this works out perfect. My mom is one of them and I have to translate for her all the time. She has learned the language enough to get around
                                    This is what we are talking about. your family lives here and your mother knows "conversational" english. or as you put it 'enough to get around" so it sounds like your mother isnt really included.

this brings up another downside. say a spanish speaker (who knows english) hears the princess speaking in spanish and gets all excited then starts talking to the princess who only knows conversational spanish. I think you will have some blank looks in the princess pictures soon!

also this only really effects the princess' as they are the only costumes that dont have a foam head!

Comment

Originally posted by LAURA
                                      So unless you don't know the situation don't open your mouth!!
                                      I think you have one too many negatives in that one.... a sure sign of a native Spanish speaker.

Comment

But if you don't even know enough english to understand a character saying 'Hi, how are you?', then how do you get around the rest of the park (ie: buy food or tickets, read show times or even to read the street signs to get to DL)?? Or the country for that matter. I guess alot of people must bring someone who speaks the language.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X