X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do's and Don't's for hotel travel

Hello everyone!

I know a few people on here work in hotels....as do I. And there's a few things we wish everyone (esp our guests) knew. So, since almost everyone here travels...I thought a thread that highlights those things would benefit everyone.

Here we go...and I hope that travelers and workers will post any additional helpful tips and information!

Do check hotel rates on price comparison and discount wesites. BUT! Call the hotel itself and find out if they do price matching. Most places will happily do so.....because it means they get your money.....not that website. The benefit of doing this means you get the hotel's cancellation policy. Most discount sites have NO cancellation policy. And you never know when something might come up.

Do take note of the hotel's cancellation policy. Every one is different. And ignorance will NOT get you out of paying that cancellation fee.

Do take note of the hotel's check in time. Yes, this can be flexible. IF they have a room clean, they can get you in early. But, this is NOT a normal thing. So, don't expect to be able to check in at 9am, if the hotel's check in time is 3pm. And don't get an attitude with the front desk clerk because you can't check in early. There's absolutely NOTHING they can do to make a clean room magically appear. That's totally up to the housekeeping fairies.

Don't get an attitude with the front desk, or talk down to them. You want to treat these people good. Be friendly, patient and polite. These are the people who usually have the power to upgrade you and throw in any freebies. And these people will decide whether to put you in the room with the great view or the room in between the ice machine and elevator.

Do realize that things will break. Hotel's run 24 hrs/ 365 days a year. That means that a/c or toilet may experience times when it just wants a break. This leads to another BIG DO....

Do notify the front desk or manager of any problems. They aren't psychic. If your a/c breaks......we need you to call and tell us. We can't fix what we don't know is broken. Complaining the next day that your tv didn't work...and it totally ruined your night; Just makes you look less than intelligent cause you could have picked up the phone, and had it fixed right away, instead of suffering all night.

Do throw the comforter on the floor....in the corner. If you can rope it off with those little caution signs, all the better. You REALLY don't wanna know how often those things are required to be washed. Everyone I know who's worked in a hotel brings their own pillows, and a supply of disinfectant. The remote is the most germ ridden thing in the room. A hotel inspector confirmed this to me. I've even known one guy who requests clean sheets, so he can change them himself...and brings his own blanket. I don't go THAT far...but, I do strip the top sheet off and inspect it. One little hair, housekeeping is called.

I hope these little tips and rules help....feel free to add more!

Re: Do's and Don't's for hotel travel

Great thread. I especially agree with the last tip! I've stayed at plenty of hotels, and have seen some really nasty stuff from clumps of hair stuck to the back side of a pillow, to questionable "substances" on the toilet seat. Convenience stores sell the little travel sized Lysol disinfectant spray cans for about $0.99 each. Give your bed, dressers, and door knobs a little spritz before you use them. And don't forget the television remote and the clock-radios! Those things are just as nasty.

If you've ever stayed in the room as housekeeping cleans, most of the time they toss the pillows (and their cases) onto the ground. And who knows what's on that carpet. If you really can't bring your own pillow, I suggest taking a couple cheapy pillow cases with you. I tend to spray down the pillow with spray hand-sanitizer, then I double wrap the pillow with two cases, just to be safe.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Thanks, I think i will stick to what I normally do..I haven't had any issues yet.

however I could make a thread about what to do or not do while eating out as long a a huge list for, my current job....but I will refrain.

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
        however I could make a thread about what to do or not do while eating out as long a a huge list for, my current job....but I will refrain.
        And we thank you for that.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

Love the idea of bringing your own pillow case.
          Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

Comment

How Dirty is Your Hotel Room? | Gadling.com

Comment

That is a good tip about the pillow cases. Thanks! I won't bring my own pillows because of bed bugs. They can get into your pillow and you bring your pillow back home and guess what- you have an unexpected guest traveling in your pillow which will than infect your mattress.
              Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I live in filth so when I travel I have great anti-bodies

Comment

:lol:
                  Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I guess I have been lucky. I have always stayed in nice clean hotel rooms.
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Another tip...something I do always....

write out a list of everything you travel with, and check it right before you leave. The chances of having something returned if you leave it in a hotel room....are very slim.

Comment

Thanks for the mint Stitchy-Poo
                        Originally posted by Grumpee
                        I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                          Another tip...something I do always....

write out a list of everything you travel with, and check it right before you leave. The chances of having something returned if you leave it in a hotel room....are very slim.
                          yeah i do this when i travel, but if it's only an overnight thing, i just go by memory, cause if i forget something at home, i can live without it. except one time where i almost forgot my phone. omg that would have been disaster!
                          Originally posted by JungleCruiseFan
                          You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
                          Originally posted by penguinsoda

Comment

I ALWAYS take the comforter off and Purell all of the surfaces LOL A little paranoid, but it makes me feel better.
                            Good morning, son
                            In twenty years from now
                            Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                            And I can tell you 'bout today
                            And how I picked you up and everything changed
                            It was pain
                            Sunny days and rain
                            I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Bring a ziplock baggie to place the remote control in. You can use tissue to intially pick up the remote and the place the remote in the ziplock baggie.
                              Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                              An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                              Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                              Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X