This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career changes, stories anyone?

I am sick to death of typing, filing, being helpful, and doing a lot of work that someone else gets to take credit for. I've been an administrative assistant or secretary or something along those lines for YEARS and I'm sick of it.

I'm seriously considering going back to college to study something else so I will never have to type meeting minutes again. Right now I'm trying to weigh if I can afford to go to school to be a physician's assistant (most of the responsibilities of being a doctor without all the school).

Have any of you made some about-face, major career changes? How did you come to your decision? Did you make the right choice, or do you regret the change?

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Re: Career changes, stories anyone?

I was a chef for wyoming state colege, also worked in many resturants ( yet I do not cook at home well ) I am doing my current work because I left wyoming and the ex and decided I hated to cook any longer. ( I hated catering for huge crowds and it got boring) I am now woring for the state, and landed a job at my parent home yeah Faith and prayer got me the perfect job and I love it!!! Course I am getting to fat being here and mom cooking for me all the time hee hee hee !

Comment

I was in retail sales for something like 12 years and got tired of making next to no money, dealing with the general public and having to work stupid hours. Took some computer courses at a local community college and got a job doing tech support and training at a small software company. I'm not only making more than double what I made in retail, but also working less hours (8-5 with an hour lunch) and finally doing what I love doing; playing with computers and helping people solve their problems. Only downside is ocassional travel, which can be a drag. Have to spend the first week of December this year in LA. Fortunately trips like that don't come up that often and there are travel bonuses to help make up for being away. So, definitely no regrets here!

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your change, if you decide to pursue one.

Comment

This is great you guys!

Karla - You who always complains about being a terrible cook, YOU were a chef?!?!?!?!? I don't believe it.

Pacha - That's pretty inspiring that you made the change from retail to tech support. I'll bet the people that you help are greatful to have you on the other end of the phone!

I'm doing my research, finding out what courses are available in my area. If I can pull this off financially, I think I'm going to do it. I've been playing the perky, helpful assistant for almost 10 years now and I hate it.

The only thing I can do with my current college degree is take credentials courses and then teach. I would have to stab myself in the eye if I were a teacher. I can't stand most kids (I barely tolerate my own, lol j/k). Teaching just isn't for me.

The physician's assistant program sounds intreguing. It only takes two years, and after you can do just about everything a doctor can, except prescribe meds (with the right licensure you can do that too). I'm not nice enough to be a nurse, but I could sure do the PA thing!

I'm starting to think this change is possible!

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

I have always worked 1-3 jobs at a time. I have loads of retail experience. I have been asst manager for Sizes Unlimited (Avenue store) and Petries Plus. I have also worked for Fashoin Bug and Gottschalks, even did a 2 week stint at Woman's World. I loved working at convenice stores. I took 2 years off after having The Boy-not enough money in retail to justify not taking care of my baby. Then the job at SBC came up. I spent 7 years in Hell. It wasn't all bad and I did make a few life-long friends. Things started going down hill more than a year ago. It went from bad to worse until I finally quit in August. Now I am collecting unemployment and have a meeting/interview tomorrow with Employers Training Resource to see about getting some different computer classes. I am hoping to eventually get a job doing data entry type work. I love working with the public, just not the B.S. that goes along with it.

Comment

I think this is a great thread! I am always worried about what I will do when I get out of the air force.

Hyperbole: if you are interested in a certain career (like physician's assistant) why don't you try and speak to people in that career first? Maybe do a little job shadowing? After all, if you are going to spend all that time and money going to school and attempting to change your life - you'd want to be sure that you will truly enjoy your new career!
            WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
            DLR '05 '06 '08 '13

Comment

Originally posted by hoppypooh
              I think this is a great thread! I am always worried about what I will do when I get out of the air force.

Hyperbole: if you are interested in a certain career (like physician's assistant) why don't you try and speak to people in that career first? Maybe do a little job shadowing? After all, if you are going to spend all that time and money going to school and attempting to change your life - you'd want to be sure that you will truly enjoy your new career!
              Hoppypooh, I was in the military once upon a time, and haven't used a single bit of my trainging! Not a lot of call for Russian Interrogaters in the civilian world.

And your suggestion about shadowing and talking to PA's is excellent. Actually being the daughter of a nurse, and having worked in a hospital before, I have a lot of knowledge of the field. Plus the PA program requires that you work with actual patient care for 2000 hours before being accepted to the program, so that's a good intro as well!

Comment

After 15 years of listening to my mother tell me that I should be a lawyer (it began when she became a legal assistant), I'm now in my second year of law school. I'm sick and tired of being an administrative flunky, and unfortunately they pay librarians (my highest degree at present) even less than they do administrative flunkies. I had to do something drastic if I every wanted to get ahead.

My major professional goal at this time is to lose the preposition. All you "assistants" out there know what I mean -- I'm tired of being "assistant to the grand poobah." I want to be assistant grand poobah, well on my way to becoming grand poobah outright. Damn that preposition!
                Touched by His Noodly Appendage!

Comment

Originally posted by Prudence
                  After 15 years of listening to my mother tell me that I should be a lawyer (it began when she became a legal assistant), I'm now in my second year of law school. I'm sick and tired of being an administrative flunky, and unfortunately they pay librarians (my highest degree at present) even less than they do administrative flunkies. I had to do something drastic if I every wanted to get ahead.

My major professional goal at this time is to lose the preposition. All you "assistants" out there know what I mean -- I'm tired of being "assistant to the grand poobah." I want to be assistant grand poobah, well on my way to becoming grand poobah outright. Damn that preposition!
                  Yeah, I get that "you should be a lawyer" stuff all the time too. I like to argue (see the litter box for examples, LOL).

Good for you going to law school!!! I totally understand what you're saying about the "assistant" modifier on the title. Yeah, I want to be the grand poobah too!!!!

Now you've got me all fired up Prudence, thank you!!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X