Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Registrations

New user registrations are verified at least once per day. Thank you for your patience.
2 of 2 < >

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Opinions of the United Kingdom

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Opinions of the United Kingdom

    I am currently writing an essay on the position of the UK in current world affairs for school, and although sort of related, this is more out of my own interest. What do you think of the UK?

    Have you ever been there? How were people with you? Rude or helpful? What do you think of the history of the UK (the monarchy, the British Empire, even the current Commonwealth)? What do you think of UK culture (music, movies, art etc.)? I want an honest opinion - may it be positive or negative.

    Also: what three things are conjured in your head when someone says Great Britain?
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

    DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

    (VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS


  • #2
    Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

    The Good: The Beatles, Monty Python, Heineken

    The Bad: Tony Blair, Rowan Atkinson

    The Ugly: Camilla Parker Bowles

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

      Heineken is Dutch . Thanks anyway though, I thought Camilla was quite popular in America.
      BACKPACKING REALNESS

      DISNEY TRIPS
      October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
      April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
      October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
      October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
      December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
      July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
      July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
      July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
      February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
      February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

      (VERY OLD!)
      TRIP REPORTS

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

        Originally posted by Speedway
        What do you think of the UK?
        By far, the UK is one of my favorite places to visit. In particular, I have a fondness for London and Edinburgh, Scotland.
        Originally posted by Speedway
        Have you ever been there?
        I have visited there three times. One trip was a long stay of ten days, one for five days and one just two days.
        Originally posted by Speedway
        How were people with you? Rude or helpful?
        My first trip was October 2001. It was about a month after 9/11 and the people were very supportive. When I had mentioned that I was American, the people I spoke with had nice things to say. Some even had American flags on their lapels with their poppy pins. I felt very comfortable being there. The only really rude person I met was a customer at Harrod's who cut in line and defended his actions by saying he was entitled because he made a lot of money and shopped their often. Oddly, the cashier complied. I left the stuff I wanted to buy and walked away.
        Originally posted by Speedway
        What do you think of the history of the UK (the monarchy, the British Empire, even the current Commonwealth)?
        For me, it's all about the queens. I have a huge fascination with Queen Elizabeth I, the wives of Henry VIII and Queen Victoria. This started from watching a lot of BBC when I was younger and having a deep apprecition or British History in school. I loved going to the Tower of London and Hampton Court.
        As for the current monarchy, I like Queen Elizabeth II because she likes Pembroke Welsh Corgis as I do. I miss the Queen Mum, she seemed to be quite a character and a lovely lady. No one will ever replace Princess Diana in my book and least of all Camilla. I don't know anyone personally who cares for Camilla too much. 'The other woman' seems to pale in comparison to Diana. Not to mention that horrid chicken hat she wore at her wedding. Bleh. (Speedway - Does she have the title of Princess of Wales now?) I hope Wills and Harry turn out to be fine gentlemen and great leaders. I bought the Wills stamps that came out a couple of years ago.
        My biggest disappointment with the UK is Tony Blair right now. Tony Blush used to be someone I admired, very eloquent and civil. But his unquestioned support for Bush and the war in Iraq depresses me. He's supposed to be the smart one of the duo... What's worse is when I heard about the Jean Charles de Menezes story. The story made me ill. It made me fear riding the Underground with a jacket on. Also, there were a lot of British people in the media speaking out about the US's knee-jerk overreactions post-9/11 about security. Mr. de Menezes being shot seven times in the head by London police seems like an overreaction to me. The police have been rightfully slammed by his family.
        Originally posted by Speedway
        What do you think of UK culture (music, movies, art etc.)?
        If I ever want to figure out what's going to be popular next, I look and see what is popular in the UK. Because eventually, someone will change it slightly and make it popular here. ie. American Idol, ***** as Folk, Weakest Link, certain 'reality' shows.
        I love Robbie Williams, Kylie Minogue (though Australian, I call her UK's Madonna) and all the solo projects the former Spice Girls are putting together. I love British films (all the Merchant Ivory stuff, all the BBC films, Python, etc.), British TV shows (Fawlty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served, Ab Fab, Monarch of the Glen, Vicar of Dibley, Father Ted etc.) and above all London Theatre (I've seen wonderful plays starring Britain's finest: Judi Dench, Ian McKellan, Ian Holm, Patrick Stewart etc.).
        Originally posted by Speedway
        what three things are conjured in your head when someone says Great Britain?
        Meeting Sir Ian McKellan and Dame Judi Dench. I will never, ever forget that. Next on my list is Dame Maggie Smith.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

          The UK has always been the US's best friend. I have tremendous respect for peeps from the UK. Here are some things they gave us that rock.

          -John Courage
          -Ali G
          -Doc Martens
          -Excellent Dentistry

          Well, three out of four is still pretty good.



          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

            Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
            The only really rude person I met was a customer at Harrod's who cut in line and defended his actions by saying he was entitled because he made a lot of money and shopped their often. Oddly, the cashier complied. I left the stuff I wanted to buy and walked away.
            Are you being serious!? That's disgusting! He made a lot of money...hmph.

            Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
            For me, it's all about the queens. I have a huge fascination with Queen Elizabeth I, the wives of Henry VIII and Queen Victoria. This started from watching a lot of BBC when I was younger and having a deep apprecition or British History in school. I loved going to the Tower of London and Hampton Court.
            We have much better queens than kings.

            Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
            I don't know anyone personally who cares for Camilla too much. 'The other woman' seems to pale in comparison to Diana. Not to mention that horrid chicken hat she wore at her wedding. Bleh. (Speedway - Does she have the title of Princess of Wales now?)
            I think the British are warming to her slowly now, as is the Queen - well, publicly anyway. No, she will never be Princess of Wales - Diana will always have that title until Prince William marries and his wife becomes the Princess of Wales. Camilla is the Duchess of Cornwall - she will never been Queen Camilla either, when/if Charles becomes King, she will be Camilla, Queen Consort.

            Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
            My biggest disappointment with the UK is Tony Blair right now. Tony Blush used to be someone I admired, very eloquent and civil. But his unquestioned support for Bush and the war in Iraq depresses me. He's supposed to be the smart one of the duo...
            Blech. Tell me about it. I cannot stand him. He is definitely on his way out, the only medias that portray him in a remotely popular way are the News Corp. (Murdoch=Blair Lover) papers, The Sun and The Times. I never admired him though!

            Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
            What's worse is when I heard about the Jean Charles de Menezes story. The story made me ill. It made me fear riding the Underground with a jacket on. Also, there were a lot of British people in the media speaking out about the US's knee-jerk overreactions post-9/11 about security. Mr. de Menezes being shot seven times in the head by London police seems like an overreaction to me. The police have been rightfully slammed by his family.
            Critiscising the measures taken by New York police is wrong, I agree, but I think the London police did what they thought was best at the time. I really don't know the exact dates, but this was, what, weeks after 7/7? You could cut the tension in London with a knife.

            Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
            If I ever want to figure out what's going to be popular next, I look and see what is popular in the UK. Because eventually, someone will change it slightly and make it popular here. ie. American Idol, ***** as Folk, Weakest Link, certain 'reality' shows.
            That's weird, cos most TV I watch is American.

            Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
            I love Robbie Williams, Kylie Minogue (though Australian, I call her UK's Madonna) and all the solo projects the former Spice Girls are putting together.
            I didn't think Robbie was that well known over there. I much prefer the Spice Girls together - and yes, Kylie is much more British than Aussie.

            Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
            I love British films (all the Merchant Ivory stuff, all the BBC films, Python, etc.), British TV shows (Fawlty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances, Are You Being Served, Ab Fab, Monarch of the Glen, Vicar of Dibley, Father Ted etc.) and above all London Theatre (I've seen wonderful plays starring Britain's finest: Judi Dench, Ian McKellan, Ian Holm, Patrick Stewart etc.).
            I LOVE Keeping Up Appearances! That was filmed in a city four miles away from where I live. Vicar of Dibley, Fawlty Towers and Ab Fab are all legends as well.

            Now that was the sort of reply I was after! Thanks Gemini!
            BACKPACKING REALNESS

            DISNEY TRIPS
            October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
            October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
            April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
            October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
            October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
            October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
            October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
            December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
            July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
            July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
            July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
            February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
            February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

            (VERY OLD!)
            TRIP REPORTS

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

              being part british my opinion my not be unbiased...LOL...but I love the british. I ahve family living there. They were here for our last election. They do NOT like bush, but when he won all they said was it may be just as well, because blair already had a repore with him. (by the way, I was PISSED when he won....LOL)

              the best thing to come out of britian may very well be the united states. The states did end up as a world power. Also the Queen mary. That ship was/is amazing.

              I ahven't researched or learned enough about their government now or in the past to give an opinion on that.

              the three things I think of:
              beautiful
              happiness
              and my grandmother...and now my family that still lives there...

              I will visit one day. My dream is to fly over and take the QM3 home...

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

                I've only been across the pond once, but it was a while back on a high school tour. It was, however, enough time for me to fall in love with the U.K. and I'm planning on returning as soon as I can afford it. My dream is to spend at least a month traveling around England and Scotland...taking my time to soak it all in. I spent a weekend in Edinborough and loved it as I have some Scotch in my blood...(and it's still early..hah!) I have several books on England and I'm already planning...even though it may be 20 years away.

                I've tried to read Scottish history several times, but who in the world actually can follow that stuff? They changed kings like toilet paper back then! I lost track of everything after the Romans left! I do, however, love British history, literature, architecture, music, etc etc. I would also like an authentic British accent some time before I die.

                And I share Gemini's affection for British films and TV shows, as you can probably tell from my avatar. I fall on the floor when watching Flying Circus and my friends just stare at me. I'm sure that's like you watching "The Dick Van Dycke Show" or "I Love Lucy" as it's not quite a current show, but it cracks me up nonetheless. As my satellite provider does not cary BBC news, I usually visit the BBC website and watch video clips just to keep up on your current events.

                Again, maybe it's because of my background, heritage, etc, but I can't WAIT to return to England. I even envy your WEATHER! I should be happy it's going to hit 85 next week in Anaheim...but I'm MISERABLE!! I want rain and cold and occasional snow! I want an inn with a fire, a book by C.S. Lewis and a pint! I want to see heather from the train again, cliffs, rolling green hills, castles, cathedrals...in short...I WANT TO MOVE THERE!!

                But...maybe without your taxes. And crazy pakistani al qaeda members...although we may get our own pretty soon.

                I'm totally jealous, Speedway, totally jealous.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

                  Originally posted by Sosai X
                  The Good: The Beatles, Monty Python, Heineken

                  The Bad: Tony Blair, Rowan Atkinson

                  The Ugly: Camilla Parker Bowles

                  Orlando Bloom ( of course ), The Beatles,

                  Orlando doing good
                  http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

                  www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
                  Princess of Randomness

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

                    Originally posted by localdisnyfan
                    I want an inn with a fire, a book by C.S. Lewis and a pint! I want to see heather from the train again, cliffs, rolling green hills, castles, cathedrals...in short...I WANT TO MOVE THERE!!,
                    Oh gosh if that was the real England, I wouldn't want to leave. There are still places you can do that, but far, far away from me.

                    Originally posted by localdisnyfan
                    And crazy pakistani al qaeda members...although we may get our own pretty soon.
                    Well, our Government doesn't really attempt to get rid of them, so you can't really blame them.

                    Originally posted by localdisnyfan
                    I'm totally jealous, Speedway, totally jealous.
                    Excuse me? Coming from someone who lives near Disneyland?
                    BACKPACKING REALNESS

                    DISNEY TRIPS
                    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

                    (VERY OLD!)
                    TRIP REPORTS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

                      The UK is a land far far far away with high taxes, good manners and terrible food. It's a place even more expensive than the Continent, with gloomy weather and standoffish people so head to Barcelona or the South of France if you want to make friends.

                      Oh and I'm English-Canadian on my father's side not that that influences me at all.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

                        My ancestors all pretty much came from England. My Mothers side of the family came from Leeds and my Fathers side came from Birmingham. I have bad teeth, bad hair and pale skin so I would fit right in in the UK . I really hope someday to move back there since I have always thought of myself as being from England even though I have never even visited.

                        I love the music, New Order / Joy Division, Happy Mondays, the Smiths (anything from Manchester and the old Factory Records days really!) Depeche Mode, the Cure, Jesus and Marry Chain, Echo and the Bunnymen, Gang of Four...Okay maybe I only mostly like the stuff from the 80's but I only like 80's music from American bands as well. I love the dry humor of the Brits and still always try to catch an episode of Python when it comes on BBC America. I even like the food and the weather!
                        Last edited by Boingonut; 11-13-2005, 09:31 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Opinions of the United Kingdom

                          What is it with bad teeth and bad hair? We don't all look like Austin Powers!
                          BACKPACKING REALNESS

                          DISNEY TRIPS
                          October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                          October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                          July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                          July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                          July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                          February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                          February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

                          (VERY OLD!)
                          TRIP REPORTS

                          Comment

                          Ad Widget

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X