Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone tell me the name of this movie?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone tell me the name of this movie?

Okay, I am doing my senior project and I know this movie that would really help me. I know the movie's storyline, but I can't remember the name of it. I first saw it in English, 5 years ago (unfortunately, my teacher retired and has not kept in contact with the school (so I don't know his email address)). I am hoping someone here knows the name.

When I first thought of the movie, I thought it was from Isaac Asimov (but after looking at all the movies made from his books, I don't think it is his). Secondly, this movie is very short (maybe 20-30 minutes), so my next thought is that it is one of the Twilight Zone episodes.

Anywho, it starts with this man (let's call him Bob) who's at home. He has been watching TV, but then he goes to his friends house (let's call him Bill). Basically, Bill can't stop watching TV, so Bob leaves and decides to go for a walk outside. During his walk, a police helicopter (or maybe a police car) comes up to him and pretty much pulls him over. The helicopter/car is being piloted by a computer (there is no human aboard). It asks Bob what he is doing outside. Bob answers that he is getting some fresh air. It then asks Bob if he had an airconditioner at home to which Bob replies yes.

That's pretty much all I remember. The whole story painted a grim outlook on our future in which our lives were taken over by television. I also believe that this story was made at around the same time TVs became popular (maybe early 60s).

If anyone can name this movie, I would be extremely grateful.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Re: Can anyone tell me the name of this movie?

Is it the Cable Guy with Jim Carrey?

Oh wait no. It wasn't made that far back. Let me see if I can google anything up.

Do you know atleast one actors name?

Comment

There is something similiar to that in the Twilight Zone Movie(Which as you know was a series of shorts) In which a guy walks out of a bar, and he ends up in Nazi Germany. Then He ends up in The Jungles of Vietnam, Then back to Germany. Basically to show what it feels like to be discriminated against by what he was saying to his buddies in the bar.
      1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler
        Do you know atleast one actors name?
        No I don't. I don't think any big-name actors were in it (it was a very short movie). Right now, I'm looking though every episode of the Twilight Zone to see if that's it.
        “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Comment

From www.imdb.com

The Twilight Zone Movie

The third story directed by Joe Dante (a remake of 'It's a Good Life') a young woman on the road (Kathleen Quinlan) gives a ride to a mysterous 10-year-old boy (Jeremy Licth) to his house and ends up trapped with other people in an alternate reality created by the boy's imagination.
          Here is the link to the rest of the 1980's Twilight Zone Movie:
          http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086491/

Comment

Originally posted by TicTocDragon
            There is something similiar to that in the Twilight Zone Movie.
            Here is the link to the rest of the 1980's Twilight Zone Movie:
            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086491/
            After reading the description of that movie, I am 99% sure that that's not it.

Right now though, I am 70% sure that this was a TZ episode. I remember that same year seeing "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street", "The Odessey of Flight 33" & "The After Hours".

Comment

Mike check out this link:
              http://www.scifi.com/twilightzone/episodes/

They have a list of all the episodes from the first 5 seasons.

Comment

Mike I found it for you

http://www.scifi.com/twilightzone/episodes/index.html

A World of Difference
                Writer: Richard Matheson
                Director: Ted Post

A businessman inexplicably finds his office has become a set for a movie in which he is a character.
                CAST: Howard Duff, Gail Kobe, Peter Walker, Eileen Ryan, Frank Maxwell.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler
                  Mike I found it for you
                  "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion. " -George Washington

Comment

Well...after looking through ever episode of TZ, I can confidently say that it isn't one of those.

So this is what I know (or am 99% sure of)
                    • It was a 1950s/1960s look on the future
                    • It features a helicopter that pilots and talks itself (like a robot)
                    • The moral was that TV was taking over peoples lives
                    • It was short
                    • It was not the Twilight Zone
                    Wasn't there a book made a long time ago that forecast the year 2000? If Isaac Asimov didn't make it, someone very similar did. I believe it featured punch cards and underground houses among other things. If anyone know the title of this book, perhaps it will make my search for this movie a bit easier.

-Michael

Comment

Originally posted by askmike1
                      Wasn't there a book made a long time ago that forecast the year 2000? If Isaac Asimov didn't make it, someone very similar did. I believe it featured punch cards and underground houses among other things. If anyone know the title of this book, perhaps it will make my search for this movie a bit easier.

-Michael
                      1984???

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                      Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
                      Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

Originally posted by a_hyperbole
                        1984???
                        After a long search, I believe the book I was looking for is Asimov's "Futuredays: A Nineteenth-Century Vision of the Year 2000" (of course, it doesn't help me at all with the movie, but.....)

Whatever this movie was, it definitly had an Isaac Asimov/Ray Bradbury feel to it (almost like a combination of Futuredays and Farenheit 451).

This is what I'm thinking right now............pick a different topic for Senior project. :lol:

Comment

What about the Alfred Hitchcock series that was made in the 50s?

Comment

AskMike1, try the old Outer Limits TV show, around the same time period and the length would be about right. Do you remember if the show was in black and white or colour? Do you remember if any of the actors had accents of any kind? Do you remember seeing any of the actors in anything else that might give us a clue to who they are?

Don't give up yet, there are still possibilities.
                            A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
                            In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil. :evil:

Comment

What about the Alfred Hitchcock series that was made in the 50s?
                              I'm currently looking through it's episodes, but so far, I haven't found it.

Originally posted by bejeweledcat
                              AskMike1, try the old Outer Limits TV show, around the same time period and the length would be about right.
                              After looking through the episode descriptions, I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Do you remember if the show was in black and white or colour?
                              Although it might have been in B&W, I'm leaning towards color. But it definitely had a dark tone to it.

Do you remember if any of the actors had accents of any kind?
                              Except for the robot (which had the very stereotypical monotone robotic voice), I don't believe any of the characters had major accents.

In hope that a professional movie geek would know it, I have emailed TVGuide.com's Ask FlickChick.

Also, I have remembered another bit of the movie. After the robo-police-copter interrogates the man, it takes him (somehow) on the copter (against his will) and transports him to some time of mental institution. The movie was extremely similar to Farenheit 451 (but I don't think it is F451 because I don't see a helicopter in any of its descriptions).

Finally, I know I've said this whole time that it was only 20-30 minutes, but now I am fearing that it is actually a full length movie, but my teacher only showed us a segment of it.

-Michael

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X