Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Registrations

New user registrations are verified at least once per day. Thank you for your patience.
2 of 2 < >

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Is Europe's mighty Matterhorn mountain crumbling?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Europe's mighty Matterhorn mountain crumbling?

To understand how climate change is helping destabilize one of the world's most famous mountains, Dr. Stephan Gruber of theUniversity of Zurich offers a culinary visualization.
    Imagine a piece of bread - or perhaps even better, a thick cut of raw steak - in an oven. Put a stick of frozen butter on top of it. And then turn the oven on.
    Two things happen:
    The outside of the steak begins to cook relatively quickly. The inside stays raw for longer.
    At the same time, the butter begins to melt - and seep into the steak.
    Now, imagine that the steak is the mighty Matterhorn mountain, one of the most picturesque in Europe (and, yes, some of you may know it better as Disneyland's original rollercoaster).
    Full Story: Is the Mighty Matterhorn Mountain Crumbling? - Yahoo! News

Re: Is Europe's mighty Matterhorn mountain crumbling?

Interesting...
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

I like the reference to Disneyland. But this truly is not a good thing.
      Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

So erosion and daily extreme temperature ranges... ok.

I liked the one comment about the fact that Disneyland's Matterhorn was under construction too.

Now, where can I get a good steak at Disneyland, preferably without an entire stick of butter on it?

Comment

Disneyland lucked out on this one!

All those tourists from Europe who normally go to WDW are all going to go to DL now in order to see what the Matterhorn used to look like.

Comment

Well, I would be pretty concerned if mountains weren't crumbling. It's been happening ever since the creation of Earth. The climate is ever changing so is the landscape. It's natural part of nature.
            DisneyTwins
            Since May 2003

Comment

Must be a slow news day. THIS JUST IN: Nature is being natural and stuff!

Click the banner! ^^^^
              Follow us on Twitter
              @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
              Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzapants View Post
                Must be a slow news day. THIS JUST IN: Nature is being natural and stuff!
                :lmao: lol

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                  Well, I would be pretty concerned if mountains weren't crumbling. It's been happening ever since the creation of Earth. The climate is ever changing so is the landscape. It's natural part of nature.
                  I think the point of the article was that it is worse than normal and not natural.
                  Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Comment

I am still waiting for plate tectonics to move into action I am getting closer to LA by like a 16 of a inch every year Then I can finally live near Disneyland!
                    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                    My company had a special night at the park
                    WdW trip report with WWoHP
                    NYE 2011 trip report
                    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                    Leap year 24 hour report
                    New DCA trip report
                    NYE 2012
                    HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                      Wait until an asteroid hits. That'll shake more than a few mountains.
                      I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                        I think the point of the article was that it is worse than normal and not natural.
                        According to who? Were scientists around 80,000 years ago? Do they know how fast mountain ranges defrosted? Do they really know for sure what went down during the end of the last ice age? Nope. They have some data samples but nowhere near enough information to say that this is occurring at a pace never before seen on planet earth! Just my thoughts on the subject...

---------- Post added 04-05-2012 at 01:03 AM ----------

Lol!
                        Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco21 View Post
                          According to who? Were scientists around 80,000 years ago? Do they know how fast mountain ranges defrosted? Do they really know for sure what went down during the end of the last ice age? Nope. They have some data samples but nowhere near enough information to say that this is occurring at a pace never before seen on planet earth! Just my thoughts on the subject...
                          THere actually are whole fields of study about these very subjects, like palaeontology, palaeoclimatology and so on. And according to them, we are in an interglacial period, the 10,000 year period of relative warmth between glacial periods. What is happening right now, with the globe's rapid heating up, is unnatural. It is supposed to be getting gradually colder (which is actually what scientists were saying back in the Sixties before they noticed that the climate is going the opposite of what it should be).

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Gross View Post
                            THere actually are whole fields of study about these very subjects, like palaeontology, palaeoclimatology and so on. And according to them, we are in an interglacial period, the 10,000 year period of relative warmth between glacial periods. What is happening right now, with the globe's rapid heating up, is unnatural. It is supposed to be getting gradually colder (which is actually what scientists were saying back in the Sixties before they noticed that the climate is going the opposite of what it should be).

From what I understand, they are saying that we are just on the other side of the last ice age, and the warming is normal. :confused:

Comment

It's funny how there's all this fuss about global warming in the media...do they not know that earth is running out of fresh water at a much higher rate than its losing ozone layer? :P interesting article, thank you for sharing, but the news has to do better than that to worry me haha

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X