This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by desertdweller
    Despicable acts like this is a form of terrorism!
    Pllleeeeassseee tell me that was sarcasm. I really don't want to have to bang my head into a wall and wonder what's happening to humanity.

This woman is an idiot but this is a far cry from Osama bin-Laden. Heavens knows that if she caused one unhealthy person to stop eating fast food she probably did them a favor.

Comment

is despicable.

When it results in a large number of people to be terrified of eating at a Wendy's in the San Jose area to the point of causing lay-offs and disruption of business, it definitely is in the category of terrorism.

Besides, chili was about the only thing I've ever eaten at Wendy's that was pretty good.
      desertdweller
      MiceChatter
      Last edited by desertdweller; 04-22-2005, 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling
      "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

While it's a scummy thing to do, I just figured that simply saying "this is terrorism" is kind of strong language due to what that implies culturally right now. However, you weren't trying to compare chili fingers to bombs, so at least my forehead remains pleasantly free of bumps.

I still think it's an arguable point that it may have convinced someone to make a healthier living choice, and thus at least had a positive yet unintended side effect.

Comment

Actually, product tampering is considered terrorism. Do a web search using the key words "product tampering terrorism" and see what comes up.

While this woman did not tamper with a product which would cause others any physical harm, she created a wave of panic throughout the public about not only eating at Wendy's, but the safety of beef and food production in general.
          mickhyperion
          Last edited by mickhyperion; 04-22-2005, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Sounds like she made a lot of people avoid Wendy's... Terrorism is basically when you provoke the public to avoid, do, or think about something differently. So I think what she did could be considered terrorism!

Comment

Wendy's is offering $100,000 for any information leading to the identity of the finger or where it came from.

This is an example of a real problem with jornalism as it is today. The news people are so conserned with being first to the news that the whole story often gets lost and then later when the story changes everyone is so sick of the 24-7 coverage from earlier that they don't listen to the new story.
              I will save the princess, though I do not know the way.

Comment

Indeed! The reason I decided to update this old post is the fact that the original poster had gone on to other posts that were far more important to them and didn't do a follow-up to the original hysterical thread. I don't know why it was even posted in the first place. Attention, I guess or a "thread starter", which I've noticed is quite common in here.
                "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian
                  I heard she got the finger from her dead grandmother that died recently in her home. Supposedly she cut the finger off and put it in the freezer and had her mother buried. Officials have yet to exhume the body and check for a missing finger. But come on she's as guilty of fraud as Micheal Jackson's accuser's mother...

It was her aunt who did in her home. Still just as gross.

Some friends and I went to that Wendy's and told the manager we where there to show support. (When they did'nt find anyone missing a finger the first week this aired, we all said she did it herself) the manager was grateful and I felt soooo bad for the employees there. I still have to admit though, I could not order the chili.

Hopefully, now that the woman was arrested, people will start coming back.
                  Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

Comment

OK, here's another one along the same lines...A man found a bit of human skin in his Arby's sandwich with a fingerprint on it...Upon further investigation, the manager of the place admitted he had sliced the skin from his finger while he was chopping up lettuce for sandwiches and HE DIDN'T THROW OUT THE LETTUCE!!!! Gross, gross, gross. The man who got it in his sandwich refused a settlement offer from Arby's and is going to sue them.
                    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Looks like the case has been closed:

Finger Traced to Woman Who Blamed Wendy's
                      May 13, 2005 7:21 PM EDT
                      SAN JOSE, Calif. - The mysterious finger that a woman claimed to have found in a bowl of Wendy's chili came from an associate of her husband who lost the finger in an industrial accident, police said Friday.

"The jig is up. The puzzle pieces are beginning to fall into place, and the truth is being exposed," Police Chief Rob Davis said.

The discovery of the finger's owner marks a significant break in a case that has confounded authorities for nearly two months, ever since Anna Ayala claimed she bit down on the well-manicured, 1 1/2-inch finger in a mouthful of her steamy chili.

The case became the talk of the Internet and late-night talk shows and spawned numerous bizarre tips and theories about the source of the finger, including one about a woman whose fingertip was bitten off by a spotted leopard kept as a pet.

Authorities said last month that they believed the story was a hoax, and they arrested the 39-year-old Ayala at her home in Las Vegas and charged her with attempted grand larceny for allegedly trying to shake down Wendy's. But whose finger was in the chili remained a mystery.

The owner was traced through a tip made to a Wendy's hot line, Davis said. He said the man lost the finger in December, and authorities "positively confirmed that this subject was in fact the source of the fingertip." The nature of the industrial accident was not disclosed.

Davis said the Nevada man, whose name was not released, is cooperating. The police chief would not say if the man was in on the alleged hoax.

Police believe the man gave the finger fragment to Ayala's husband, Jaime Plascencia, who was arrested this month on identity-theft charges unrelated to the Wendy's case.

During the investigation, Wendy's said no employees at the San Jose store had missing fingers, and no suppliers of Wendy's ingredients had reported any finger injuries. Authorities reported that there was no evidence the finger had been cooked, and also said Ayala had a history of filing claims against businesses.

Sgt. Nick Muyo said someone other than the man who lost the finger called in the tip to the hot line.

Calls to an attorney for Ayala and Plascencia were not immediately returned. Wendy's did not immediately return a call to its Dublin, Ohio, headquarters.

Authorities are considering additional charges against Ayala and her husband, Davis said. "We are exploring all other options and avenues available to see that those involved in this charade will be investigated," the police chief said.

Wendy's has offered a $100,000 reward and has said it has lost millions in sales since Ayala made the claim while visiting her family in San Jose. Dozens of employees at the company's Northern California franchises also have been laid off.

Wendy's has not yet given out the award. Company spokesman Bob Bertini said officials need to talk with police to determine who should receive it.

In a statement, the company praised San Jose police and said the latest evidence vindicates its employees.

"We strongly defended our brand and paid a severe price," said Tom Mueller, Wendy's president of North America. "We are extremely proud of our employees and franchisees who have suffered the most, and we are forever grateful to our many customers who have supported us during this difficult time."

The Nevada agency that investigates industrial accidents has no record of a worker injury like the one San Jose police described, said Tom Czehowski, chief administrator of the state Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Nevada employers are only required to report deaths or injuries causing the hospitalization of three or more employees, he said.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X