X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyrannosaur DNA found!!

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...M_Exclude=Juno
    It's amazing luck that actual dino DNA was found and that it was even from a Tyrannosaur.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
    sigpic
    Flickr

They should cross breed the T-rex DNA with a pot belly pig DNA and make a pot belly T-rex that people could own like a pet.
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

Comment

It says they found soft tissue. It may take a bit to see if the can actually extract DNA from it.

But yes, it is an AMAZING find. It sounds like it was found due to them accidentily breaking a bone.

Comment

And it was found by that famed scientist who's name is actually schweitzer and not falls
        You would think that being in New York for eight months out of the year would be cool...not when the closest thing you have to Disneyland is the World of Disney Store on Madison.

Comment

That's cool. When I was younger, my biggest dream was to be a paleontologist...

Comment

Very interesting and sort of frightening at the same time! If they do indeed find DNA in the tissue, maybe they can breed real dinosaurs to replace animatronic ones! Jurassic Park anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by LightBeer
              They should cross breed the T-rex DNA with a pot belly pig DNA and make a pot belly T-rex that people could own like a pet.
              :lol:

Great idea! Would that be Jurassic Pork?

Comment

Ahhh.. I'm being chased by a Tiranasouras Pig... it is huge... and going to eat me.. and then play in the Golf of Mexico for Mud...

(thought hopefully nothing Jurrassic Park will happen..)

Comment

He took that joke from a South Park Episode...
                  And how do we even know that we can splice the genes of a T-Rex and a pig? We can't do that with pigs and elephants.
                  M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                  sigpic
                  Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi
                    He took that joke from a South Park Episode...
                    And how do we even know that we can splice the genes of a T-Rex and a pig? We can't do that with pigs and elephants.
                    Actually, I've never, ever watched South Park. Well, not for more than 10 seconds maybe...

Comment

The good thing is that this new evidence might just point to some answers finally in the realm of dinosaurs. I mean, we know a lot about them, but even a shred of DNA would open up vast new avenues of discovery!

Comment

If I can recall, there isn't a way to clone dinosaurs from millions of years old DNA anyway, so Jurassic Park isn't anywhere close to becoming reality!

Comment

Not if we use ostrich eggs and end up having to create a horrible T-Rex Ostrich hybrid. THat or fill in the holes with bird DNA or other animal types considering most DNA is alike in set up in otherwords human DNA can be a little close to Dino DNA.
                          M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                          sigpic
                          Flickr

Comment

It would take leaps in technology not possible today. Perhaps if the DNA was preserved...

Comment

We should make a flying T-rex.
                              I find it hard
                              It's hard to find

Comment

First of all, this is tissue fragments. The chance of them finding an intact strand of DNA is very slim. Even if they do, they still won't know what to make of most of it, since we have never actually sequenced Dino DNA before. If they were to find a preserved cell, however, they may have a chance of finding some mRNA or tRNA in the ribosomes, or maybe even a polypeptide chain, from which at least one DNA instruction can be found (AKA, a sequence of nucleotide bases such as AGAAACGTATG).

This does NOT mean Jurassic Park. We can't even do true, flawless cloning today with animals that are alive.

Also, they speculate that they may find soft tissue in a bunch of other specimens, as well. Museums don't really like cutting open one of their possessions, though.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
                                  This does NOT mean Jurassic Park.
                                  Does it mean Jurassic Park 2?
                                  I find it hard
                                  It's hard to find

Comment

Perhaps DAK can acquire some and clone itself a better DinoLand USA?
                                    :captain: double the powder and shorten the fuse?

Comment

Originally posted by LightBeer
                                      Does it mean Jurassic Park 2?

No, but 3 is a possibility.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X