Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

    I just heard this on the news...


    Apparently, movie theaters want to boost their lagging attendance numbers, so, they are trying to get their idea past the Federal Government-this idea is to block cell phone reception in the theaters so moviegoers won't have to be bothered by those "rude individuals" who use their phone during the movie. These blockers are usually not allowed, so this is probably going to get shot down.

    But I have a better idea for boosting movie theater attendance...how about making the ticket prices less than a Big Mac meal at McD's and cutting that $4 price tag on a cup of soda in half...what do you think?
    MCDADMCA

    ^clicky clicky^

  • #2
    Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

    Wow imagine that... being able to go see a move for less than $25 per person!! Yeah, I might want to go see a few more movies then!!! :thumbup:




    Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


    Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

      Yeah, the pop is so high priced, the popcorn has seen better tasting days and the ticket price, please)))))) and they wonder why we wait for the movie to come out on dvd!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

        I agree.

        I can drive to Disneyland, use my AP and have a decent lunch for $40 (for a family of 4) and spend 6 - 8 hours of QUALITY family time.

        or

        Go to the movies, pay $30 JUST to get in the door (matinee prices) pay another $15 to get a couple of Soda's and a popcorn and sit in a dark movie theatre for 2 hours with no quality time.

        Guess which one I'm picking.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

          While I certainly agree that the costs at movie theaters are outrageous, that doesn't mean IMHO that the costs at DLR still aren't way too high.

          Maybe Gregg has the premium pass and doesn't have to pay $10 to park.

          The couple of times I've been there recently I've spent close to 75 dollars just by myself - not including the cost of my SoCal pass - and that's without any truly extravagant souvenir or food spending.

          Locker for the day - bottle of water here, soda there, Dole Whip here...decent lunch, maybe a burger for dinner, churro there, fruit from the fruit stand, small trinket....it really adds up fast. And bringing your own food means shlepping a long way back to your car, or getting one of those very few picnic area lockers.

          So Disney is hardly exempt from complaint there IMHO.

          Of course, if I ever had to pay my way into a sporting event again...especially a Laker or Kings game...I probably wouldn't. Talk about out of sight prices!!

          Barry

          And back to the beginning point...it's still rude to leave cell phones on at the movies.
          God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

            We are lucky the theatre around the corner has every movie before 6 pm is 5 bucks, nicer than edwards and all stadium seating.
            Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

            Former DCA Attractions CM

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

              Wow what next
              :crazylegs

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

                you know what else i thought of...what if there is an emergency in the theater and someone needs to use their cell to call 911?? this whole cell-blocking thing could turn into some kind of lawsuit....meh.
                MCDADMCA

                ^clicky clicky^

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

                  Originally posted by MissChristine
                  you know what else i thought of...what if there is an emergency in the theater and someone needs to use their cell to call 911?? this whole cell-blocking thing could turn into some kind of lawsuit....meh.
                  Maybe some how 911 is able to work... I dont know
                  :crazylegs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

                    OK I've said this before...and I will get flamed for it...

                    I hate, no make that HATE cell phones in theaters...(I hate that people drive while holding the damn phone to their ear too, but that's an argument for another thread)
                    Should they be blocked? Maybe....and before people jump all over the what if a Dr is on call, or what if parents have a baby sitter...let me just say.....

                    What did we do before Cell phones...Dr's used pages...can recieve a signal almost anywhere (don't know if blockers would interfere or not...)
                    Parents told the babysitter where they were going and left all phone numbers with the sitter (including the theater) and BTW if a babysitter calls the theater, the WILL find the parents, I've seen it happen more than once.

                    I have a cell phone. I use it a lot. I turn it on vibrate when I'm in the theater because it's polite....if they had a no cell policy, I would not bring it, or I would turn it off.

                    as far as 911......OPEN the door and yell that you need an ambulance, or send a movigoer to call from the lobby.

                    but what would really bring people back to the movies is slashing prices....IT's insane to take your family to a movie....

                    I'll get panned for my opinion....but they are just that, my opinion...

                    but think about it for just a moment...we had a very long time, that things worked smoothly before cell phones....we do not need to be permentently attached to our phones.
                    procrastibating

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

                      I agree with you Tink, nothing irks me more then a jackass rambling on his cell phone while driving, or someone talking into one very loudly in a line at Disneyland. I just want to grab it from their ear and start jumping on it

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

                        I agree with all of you however I have one thing to add. I don't mind paying 8-11 bucks a person to go see a movie, my problem is this...

                        How about making some non remaking, non sequel heavy, ORIGINAL IDEAS movie that would be worthy of me shelling out 50 bucks for my family to go see.

                        I understand that the reason popcorn/drinks are so high is because thats really where the theaters make their money. I also realize that with the ever growing home theater system becoming more and more up to date and inclusive that going to a sticky floored, cell phone ringing, baby crying, no way to pause so I can pee theater sounds like a bad idea.

                        There is just not enough good movies out there to make me want to go see them. I can think of a handful that I really enjoyed last year, 3 of them I watched on DVD, why....because for 20 bucks a month for Netflix I can have a list for each member of my family, I can spent 3 bucks on a box of popcorn that will last for every movie we watch that month AND I don't have to listen to some person continue to allow their baby to cry while an important part of the movie is going on.

                        Yeah.....and they can't figure out why movie buffs like me won't go see films.

                        Oh and I'd like to add, getting me to sign up for a stupid frequent movie club card just so you can sell my name off to the marketing department for the highest bidder while once a month I get a free SMALL popcorn does NOT convince me to come back.

                        *gets off her soap box*

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

                          Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
                          OK I've said this before...and I will get flamed for it...

                          I hate, no make that HATE cell phones in theaters...(I hate that people drive while holding the damn phone to their ear too, but that's an argument for another thread)
                          Should they be blocked? Maybe....and before people jump all over the what if a Dr is on call, or what if parents have a baby sitter...let me just say.....

                          What did we do before Cell phones...Dr's used pages...can recieve a signal almost anywhere (don't know if blockers would interfere or not...)
                          Parents told the babysitter where they were going and left all phone numbers with the sitter (including the theater) and BTW if a babysitter calls the theater, the WILL find the parents, I've seen it happen more than once.

                          I have a cell phone. I use it a lot. I turn it on vibrate when I'm in the theater because it's polite....if they had a no cell policy, I would not bring it, or I would turn it off.

                          as far as 911......OPEN the door and yell that you need an ambulance, or send a movigoer to call from the lobby.

                          but what would really bring people back to the movies is slashing prices....IT's insane to take your family to a movie....

                          I'll get panned for my opinion....but they are just that, my opinion...

                          but think about it for just a moment...we had a very long time, that things worked smoothly before cell phones....we do not need to be permentently attached to our phones.
                          Amen Tink! :bow: :bow:
                          1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

                            Originally posted by MissChristine
                            I just heard this on the news...


                            Apparently, movie theaters want to boost their lagging attendance numbers, so, they are trying to get their idea past the Federal Government-this idea is to block cell phone reception in the theaters so moviegoers won't have to be bothered by those "rude individuals" who use their phone during the movie. These blockers are usually not allowed, so this is probably going to get shot down.

                            But I have a better idea for boosting movie theater attendance...how about making the ticket prices less than a Big Mac meal at McD's and cutting that $4 price tag on a cup of soda in half...what do you think?
                            It would hopefull also cut down on people pirating the film with their phone camera's.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Cell Phone Blockers in Movie Theaters

                              I giggle every time I read the debates about cell phones and signal blockers. The cell phone companies always pitch a huge fit, but we wouldn't even be considering this if people weren't rude! Behave yourselves, and I don't care that you have a cell. I turn mine off in theaters, and I go outside to answer it if I have to during a dinner. It's really *not* that difficult, ya know?

                              It's like the smoking debate- many smokers are polite about their smoke and their butts. They don't piss anybody off, and so nobody minds if they smoke. But then you get the yahoo who you can't get away from, and who tosses the butt your direction, and now ya get the nonsmokers up in arms and you get Calabasas banning smoking completely.

                              They always whine about what happens if somebody needs to reach you in an emergency and all. As Tink said- we managed before cell phones. We can do it again.
                              I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X