This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate v. 4-10-05

Ok, here is the idea. Once a month I will start a topic of debate. Everyone is free to disscuss this topic.

Rules:

1) Keep it clean.
    2) No name calling.
    3) No offensive language.
    4) No neg rating. Debates are all about a persons opinion. If you disagree, then simply state why and your opinion.

This months Topic:

Should gay/lesbian marriages be legal?
    Last edited by monorail_rider; 04-11-2005, 06:14 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

yes. That is all sir.

Comment

I'm removing my original post in respect to Mamabot.
        Last edited by Anders; 04-11-2005, 12:13 PM.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

Not starting with the mild topics, eh?
          Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Comment

Bah. The government should have no say as to whether two people can become married or not. But that's kinda dodging the subject, so then I would have to say that yes- gay marriages should be legal, I cannot think of a single reason that they should be illegal.
            The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Comment

yes. yes. yes.
              Eglantine, Eglantine, oh how you shine!
              I don't believe in giving animals ridiculous names. I call him Cosmic Creepers...
              ...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice...

Comment

You know, if it were just called a civil union, with all the same rights as "married" couples....

People would still find fault with the whole idea.

I don't think that anyone who wants to spend their lives together should suffer any monetary or legal restrictions because of sexual preference. We would be a much richer country for recognizing that it is commitment that makes a family, not gender.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

Comment

I think they should be legal. I can't think of a good reason or reasons why they shouldn't be.

Comment

For the sake of debate, I'm throwing the concept of a slippery slope into the discussion. Sure, man/man or woman/woman may seem to be as OK as man/woman, but what about man/sister, woman/son, etc. Without legislation defining what marriage can be, the possibilities are endless .......
                    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
                    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

I think that Gay couples should have all of the same marriage rights as heterosexual couples, but marriage should be defined as a union of Man and Woman.

If you love someone, then a piece of paper won't change that. Benefits like Hospital visits and the like ARE important, and I think that is unfair to not allow Homosexuals those rights. Marriage has existed for thousands of years and it has always been male and female. We should not change the basic foundation that marriage was built upon.

Comment

I am going to quote something that Dusty has already said regarding polics on the boards, FYI.
                        Here is the context for his post.

Originally posted by Dustysage
                        Folks, this isn't a political site. I don't mind the discussion, but keep it polite, or move it to PM.

Thanks,

-Dusty
                        Please keep this in mind when posting issues for debate.
                        Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
                        I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Comment

I am gonna respect mamabot and respectivelly repull my post.

Comment

I am going to second Mamabots post- I really don't want this stuff here. My opinion has nothing to do with gay marriages- it has everything to do with keeping this community going strong and not adding divisive topics. Even if we agree to disagree this could harm opinions and images of other people.

I vote nay- there are forums galore for this stuff. Just not here.

Comment

When you can go to Vegas, get falling down drunk, then gamble away all your money, meet a guy at the craps table, go across the street 5 minutes later and get married by Elvis then Marriage is not kept sacred by law already. All types of people and religions are able to get married- From Christian to Athiest to Satanist and Gay people are the only ones that cannot. Ridiculous to me...

Sorry, I couldn't help but reply- I am passionate about this topic.
                              �In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.� -Michael Jackson

Comment

yes and thank you for quoting me in your sig Monorail
                                I find it hard
                                It's hard to find
                                Oh well, whatever, nevermind

Comment

Here are some very valid arguments why it should not be allowed though:
                                  • Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control are not natural.
                                  • Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people cannot get legally married because the world needs more children.
                                  • Obviously gay parents will raise gay children because straight parents only raise straight children.
                                  • Straight marriage will be less meaningful, since Britney Spears's 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.
                                  • Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and it hasn't changed at all: women are property, Blacks can't marry Whites, and divorce is illegal.
                                  • Gay marriage should be decided by the people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of minorities.
                                  • Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are always imposed on the entire country. That's why we only have one religion in America.
                                  • Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people makes you tall.
                                  • Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage license.
                                  • Children can never succeed without both male and female role models at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.
                                  • Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we haven't adapted to cars or longer lifespans.
                                  • Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages will for gays & lesbians.
                                  "Tonight I wash my hands of you
                                  You set the bar I could not live up to
                                  Tonight the light is breaking through
                                  So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
                                  Zebrahead

Comment

Originally posted by mamabot
                                    I am going to quote something that Dusty has already said regarding polics on the boards, FYI.
                                    Here is the context for his post.

Please keep this in mind when posting issues for debate.

I understand this is not a political board. but I didn't think anything wrong with a little "off topic" chat.
                                    Last edited by monorail_rider; 04-11-2005, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBeer
                                      yes and thank you for quoting me in your sig Monorail

Your welcome Always liked to share funny things I hear/read.

Comment

Last edited by Pirate Wench; 04-27-2005, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X