You knew it was comming... The Official World Cup Thread!!!!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • painted windows
    Wonderful World
    • Jun 2005

You knew it was comming... The Official World Cup Thread!!!!

So who do you guys like to win if anyone on micechat even will attempt to watch soccer
    :thumbup: I'm back MiceChat:yea:
  • Radiobarry
    Angel Fan MC Man
    • Apr 2005

Re: You knew it was comming... The Official World Cup Thread!!!!

I will attempt to watch at least portions of the games that are shown on ESPN...especially if the USA is involved.

If I contribute to this thread, I promise to keep it positive. Having said that, let me offer these thoughts once, and I promise only once.

The game is not my cup of tea...as a matter of fact it bores me. (I can hear people now...you love baseball, and you think soccer's boring)?

I guess it's what you are brought up with. Sometimes it's the arrogance of soccer fans that gets me. "You Americans just don't get it, it's the game the rest of the world plays"...that kind of thing. It's kind of like the metric system...we don't get that, either (in general) and that's okay with me.

And I guess the isolated incidents I read about involving soccer "houligans", killing each other over the result of a game, don't help either.

And for forty years, I've been hearing about the kids playing soccer (that's wonderful, IMHO)...and that soccer will be the next big-time sport here. Well, I know we had packed houses for the World Cup here, and I well remember Mia and Brandi and that magical day at the women in 1999 at the Rose Bowl. Do I not recall that they played soccer here during the 1984 Olympics, and packed the Rose Bowl here too?

But pro soccer here still hasn't caught on big time, and I don't think it ever will.

Having said all that...I will say it no more, and please, painted, know that I hope this thread gets a lot of interest.

Since Disney networks are comitted to it, I hope the games get decent ratings.

On topic:

I've yet to do any real reading on it, but I understand the U.S. team is rated fifth in the world, but the experts I've heard (like an ESPN soccer guy they had on Pardon The Interruption) say that the Americans will have a tough go in their first round pool.

The games begin today, Friday, on ESPN or ESPN 2 at about 8:00am Pacific...Good luck to all...GO USA!

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

• painted windows
      Wonderful World
      • Jun 2005

haha I watched that PTI to. I to am not really a big fan of watching it allthough I will attempt to watch some games. I mean I played soccer for about 12 years but im not a big fan of watching it and I dont know why

Comment

• DMof2
        most magical vaca ever
        • Sep 2005

Ole Ole Ole Oleeeeeee

We will be watching World Cup games here

Hope the USA team does well :thumbup:
        ~~~:ap:~~~

Comment

• sir clinksalot
          MiceChatter
          • Feb 2005

The only reason I am watching it is to see the fights in the stands.

Oh and the things that these countries will allow and find socially acceptable.

Such as: Throwing Bananas and making monkey noises every time a team from an African country is playing.

Comment

• Darkbeer
            Darkbeer
            • Jan 2005

Just finished watching the opening ceremonies, alas, had to do it in Korean, since the Americans didn't broadcast it, and the Korean's did it commercial free, unlike the Mexicans (Univision) which only showed selected highlights and lots of commercials.

Already made my reservations to watch the first USA game at the ESPNZone Monday Morning.

This year's World Cup has a lot of great match ups... looking forward to a great month of soccer:yea:
            Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

• Alchimedes
              MiceChatter
              • Jan 2005

It's all about the Dutch teams! They always make it too the finals.
              1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

• Radiobarry
                Angel Fan MC Man
                • Apr 2005

Does that make it a "Dutch treat"??? ) :blush:

Or is the rest of the world..."in Dutch"?

--Barry
                God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

• painted windows
                  Wonderful World
                  • Jun 2005

Germany won there match against Costa Rica. Iy was a pretty good game the final score was 4-2. Ecuador is beating Poland by 1 in the 1st half but I don't think their lead will hold.
                  I really cant wait till Monday I hope U.S.A does good so I can actually root for someone

Comment

• Speedway
                    Former Epcot CM
                    • Jan 2005

EN-GER-LAND, EN-GER-LAND, EN-GER-LAND!
                    England versus Paraguay tomorrow. Watch us kick some South American a$$.
                    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                    TRIP REPORTS

Comment

• sgtpeper
                      MC State Comptroller
                      • Nov 2005

Italy all the way!!!!!!
                      "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

• Speedway
                        Former Epcot CM
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by sgtpeper
                        Italy all the way!!!!!!
                        My loyalties lie with Italy if/after England comes out of the competition.
                        I have strong ties to Italia.
                        BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                        October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                        October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                        July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                        July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                        July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                        February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                        February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                        TRIP REPORTS

Comment

• sgtpeper
                          MC State Comptroller
                          • Nov 2005

Being half Sicilian myself, my loyalties during the World Cup will lie with Italia first. I don't think they'll win (the teams that i support in any sport always get close but never take the trophy). They have a decent team, but by what i hear if any Euro team has a chance i hear its Germany. More than likely it will be some South American Team.
                          Last edited by sgtpeper; 06-11-2006, 08:06 PM.
                          "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

• DLRP_bopazot
                            • Mar 2005

France is going to Play tommorrow .

Sad i can't be in germany right now . Go go Zidane go
                            HKDL : Done !!!

Comment

• hoppypooh
                              MiceChatter
                              • Apr 2005

I really enjoyed the Sweden-Trinidad game. That was very exciting!
                              WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
                              DLR '05 '06 '08 '13

Comment

• painted windows
                                Wonderful World
                                • Jun 2005

USA lost 3 zip to Czech. They have really no chance to win the cup now.

Comment

• splashmountainfreak
                                  Flames Fan/Oiler Hater
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Speedway
                                  EN-GER-LAND, EN-GER-LAND, EN-GER-LAND!
                                  England versus Paraguay tomorrow. Watch us kick some South American a$$.
                                  Well so much for Mr. I don't care about football, lol.

I would probably pay more attention if Canada didn't suck at football, but being the little ole sports fan I am I still watch the games. I'm cheering for England, the mother country you know . If they don't make it deep, as my track record for teams I've supported this year has not been good, I'll switch to Portugal.

Watched the Italy vs. Ghana game today, well most of it. I'm guessing it ended 1-0 as there wasn't much time left when I had to leave.

Comment

• OogieBoogie
                                    Supervillan Extrodinaire
                                    MiceChat News Team
                                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by painted windows
                                    USA lost 3 zip to Czech. They have really no chance to win the cup now.
                                    Everyone knows that the US Men are as good at Soccer as the Scots are at tennis. My money is on Deutchland!!!!!!
                                    Growing older is manditory
                                    Growing up is however, optional

Comment

• hauntedhoilday
                                      The Twilight Zone
                                      • Apr 2006

woke up at 6 to watch the games england played really bad

Comment

• aimster
                                        Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

I heard Ecuador is the one to keep an eye on this year.

It sucks that every other country int he world is excited as all get out about the Cup... except the USA. I guess we only like sports only we play. What-ev-ah!

I'd really like to see England do well but considering they kind of blew their match today....

Univision is showing the US vs Czech match right now. No idea what the hell they're saying but it's quite amusing! Definitely more amusing than constantly hearing about Tropical Storm Alberto on all the other stations.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X