X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• penguinsoda
    replied
    My house plants do pretty well. What I need help with is my aquarium plants. Those I can't keep alive. I know I don't water them to much... they're already underwater!!! LOL!! Ok, the goldfish eating on them doesn't help. So if anyone out there knows any super easy to grow aquarium plants that goldfish won't nibble on I'd appreciate it!

Leave a comment:

• MegarooFifi
    replied
    Neph - if it makes you feel any better, my family has a joke - if you want it dead (speaking of plants) give it to Meg.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Chaney
    replied
    Regarding temperature... as long as you're comfortable... the plant will be comfortable. It was good to "water it in" when you transplanted. Just don't overdo it. I think the combination of transplant shock and lower light is the issue here. I also forgot to mention: the yellow leaves will never regain their original color. What's done is done. The goal here is to stop the deterioration and encourage new, healthy growth. It sounds like your care was perfect when the plant was thriving. If the yellowing continues, move the plant back where it was and do what you always did.

Leave a comment:

• Nephythys
    replied
    Thank you- I'm afraid I thought it was to dry after transplant and gave it AOT of water. Not swampy but plenty-but it has great drainage in the box.

I will leave it be for a while (except for telling it how pretty it is) and see how it does over the weekend.

Are they temperature sensitive? The move brought us somewhere that is often colder.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Chaney
    replied
    It sounds like you are growing a Pothos (which many people often confuse with the similar philodendron. Even so, the care is pretty much the same.) The heart-shaped leaves and white variagation would point that direction. These are hearty plants. Make sure it gets plenty of light, but try to avoid hot direct sun. Often, overwatering can cause problems which, when aggravated, are difficult to reverse. Yellowing leaves is a classic sign of overwatering. If you've recently moved it from a brighter to a dimmer area, water it a bit less. They're fairly tolerant of lower light situations, but their metabolism will slow down so they'll require a little less water. The plant also requires good drainage. Keep it moist but never wet (except, of course, when you are actually giving it water!) A few yellow leaves here and there are normal but more than one or two is not normal. It may be going through a bit of transplant shock.

1. Lots of light...no direct sun.
    2. The soil should be moist and cool but NEVER soggy. Good drainage is a must. They don't like their feet wet!
    3. Take it easy on fertilizer for about 30 days following transplant.
    4. Sing to it in a soothing voice and tell it how pretty it is. (OK...I made that one up, but it couldn't hurt!)
    5. If it continues to decline, try moving it to another area.

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• Nephythys
    replied
    I suspect it is a philodendron (sp?) but I am not positive. It's leave are oval tapering to a pointy tip. Most of the leaves are dark green, a few have white patterning on them. Leaves are smooth and kind of waxy feeling. A few leaves come close to being almost heart shaped. I have three in one large box, it has HUGE vines growing down. Used to be growing like crazy....

I recently repotted them from three small pots into one large communal box. They were very rootbound- but seemed happy. I also moved from a desk with southern exposure in the southwest corner of the building to the northeast corner-

I have noted that a couple of vines, their leaves are turning yellow and coming off. It is not the whole plant and appears to be isolated to one or two of the main plants (hard to tell with all these vines).

I can get a picture and show you tomorrow too.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Chaney
    replied
    I used to manage a nursery. Perhaps, if you could tell me what kind of plant it is...or at least give a detailed description of what it looks like, I could help. What's wrong with it?

Leave a comment:

• Nephythys
    started a topic Plants

Plants

Is anyone here good with plants? Namely house plants? I have one here are work that is causing me fits and it used to be no hassle at all.

If you have the green thumb- as mine seems to be wilting- please join this thread!

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X