X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney is hiring web spies

From the Walt Disney Job Openings site (4/19/05):
    http://jobsearch.disneycareers.newjo...x&sort=dt&vw=b

"The Manager, Photography/Online will lead the team in creating breakthrough multi-media assets to excite newsrooms to produce creative, positive news stories about the Disneyland Resort; work with online fan sites to generate a third-party advocacy group...

The successful candidate will generate creative story ideas that translate into positive news coverage for DLR; oversee the monitoring of key online sites for emerging trends and hot stories that can be leveraged to generate buzz; and emerging stories/issues that might threaten the Disneyland brand."

Hmmmm... Is this simply a dream job or does it threaten the integrity of fan sites?
    ><> just call me n8 <><

Well, it depends- It might be nice to have an official source to confirm/ deny things. I don't think miceage/chat has anything to worry about- they seem to have all their legal ducks in a row.
    The internet is nice and anonymous for the most part and hopefully they won't want to do anything to anger their hard core fans.

Only time will tell if this is a bad thing or not.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

I'm not worried that miceage/chat will get into trouble. I'm worried that the distinction between the PR machine and fan chatter will become blurry. The line about 'leveraging' buzz or tending to issues that 'threaten' the Disney brand seems subversive to me...

You're right, only time will tell. At least this seems innovative on DL's part.
      ><> just call me n8 <><

Comment

Originally posted by 33 reject
        I'm worried that the distinction between the PR machine and fan chatter will become blurry.
        Become blurry? That is like saying So-Cal might become overcrowded.

Comment

More than likely this person will not identify themselves as a "Disney employee", but act as a regular user... I think they have had folks like this in the past..... :devil:
          Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

This is following a trend actually to use blogs for PR purposes... More and more companies are doing this by setting up their own third party blog sites...

But it does mean that Disney is listening... And now it will be listening and speaking... Which isn't a bad thing really...
            Check out my other blog:

Comment

Originally posted by 33 reject
              From the Walt Disney Job Openings site (4/19/05):
              http://jobsearch.disneycareers.newjo...x&sort=dt&vw=b

"The Manager, Photography/Online will lead the team in creating breakthrough multi-media assets to excite newsrooms to produce creative, positive news stories about the Disneyland Resort; work with online fan sites to generate a third-party advocacy group...

The successful candidate will generate creative story ideas that translate into positive news coverage for DLR; oversee the monitoring of key online sites for emerging trends and hot stories that can be leveraged to generate buzz; and emerging stories/issues that might threaten the Disneyland brand."
              If this is overt, fine. As was stated, TDA having a channel to give out great assets and support the magic would be welcome..but this reads as somewhat covert. what do they plan to do about stories that threaten the Disney brand, sue people? The web is about honesty, not spin..I suspect laughing place will be a supporter..
              "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Orville
                The web is about honesty, not spin..
                Wake up and smell reality.... The web has been about spin since the VERY early days...

Comment

Originally posted by dshimel
                  Wake up and smell reality.... The web has been about spin since the VERY early days...
                  Depends on what you consider spin... It is about propeganda - information and misinformation... The thing is as unlike other forms of media, information flows freely... So it is always best to back up stories with facts...

What I like about MiceAge and MiceChat is there is both analysis and facts being presented... We gather a lot of information... Pictures, news reports, inside info, and built a community around gathering that info...

Sure there is fluf... But the pictures of the cats over by Indy are sooo cute...
                  Check out my other blog:

Comment

I think a BIG difference is whether or not this person will identify themselves as an "official" Disney spokesperson... if they do, no big deal, I can take their comments with the knowledge they are looking to spin things a certain way..

On the other hand, if "Jamie" shows up and pretends to be just a regular user, and tries to turn every thread into a positive thread.. well, that is different!

Comment

I doubt that the person would ID themselves as the "Disney connection". That would lead to all kinds of stuff (mostly bad), plus it puts that person on the spot when someone asks about upcoming events, info, etc. If they don't answer, they are an SOB. If they do answer, they are giving away material that might not be appropriate at that time. Lose-lose situation.

I have seen that happen on other boards where the manufacturers thought that they would be open about their business/products. It turned into a torching contest before the MFG's eventually pulled out.

I think that it is a good idea to have someone lurking about to see what is being said about the Parks and such. Hopefully it would lead to positive changes/improvements that would benefit us all.

The worst scenario would be that if they logged on using a phoney name and then tried to stand up for Disney on every post that contained negative information (spin control, I guess). That not only insults our intelligence, it builds resentment by the honest users and eventually productive information will be held back for fear of ridicule. I think they are referred to as "Trolls"???

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbeer
                        I think a BIG difference is whether or not this person will identify themselves as an "official" Disney spokesperson... if they do, no big deal, I can take their comments with the knowledge they are looking to spin things a certain way..

On the other hand, if "Jamie" shows up and pretends to be just a regular user, and tries to turn every thread into a positive thread.. well, that is different!
                        I don't know if that is possable... But if "Jamie" can back up the spin with information, it would be interesting for them to try and do this...

But I think some folks in TDA are feeling some of the heat, when some of us put them over some of the hotter coals...

They can try and wag the dog... but is it possable? I don't know...
                        Check out my other blog:

Comment

Originally posted by dshimel

True. Well, now that I reread my quote I think you are right, of course, the web is a haven for inaccurate rumor but at the same time is a force for truth to come out. Studios hate when bad reviews come out and kill a movie before the spun trailers can get you to the show. .The web is also is the place where dan Rather was blogged out or matt Drudge broke Lewinsky. I guess this site represents a free speech-ish forum to criticise or compliment the company. Once you begin suspecting anyone that posts as an ad mole, and having stories and threads planted, it takes the fun and social culture out of it. We become a part of an overall marketing initiative. and not paid for it.

I was once accused of being Michael Eisner because i said something positive about him..
                          "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Orville
                            I was once accused of being Michael Eisner because i said something positive about him..
                            Ouch. I bet you don't make that mistake again
                            ><> just call me n8 <><

Comment

You think my avitars make that point? lol..
                              The very fact that their online disney job ad was instantly "outed" and posted for all to see makes my point about what the net does well.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Did Marcie get fired..... :lol: :devil:

Comment

Also there is another thing about it... like as I am posting this there are 40 some odd registered users viewing this board... and 60 are guests... I find that as somewhat odd...
                                  Check out my other blog:

Comment

I guess we either ignore it or use it...

I have always assumed there was manipulation around to some extent on the boards its just a matter of time before we actually realize its all a Matrix...
                                    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
                                    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

Comment

That pic is freakin me out.
                                      �In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.� -Michael Jackson

Comment

Re: Disney is hiring web spies

It can be seen as a blessing or a curse depending on how you look at it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X