This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Places Of Disneyland Area Yesteryear

The Disneyland area has changed a great deal in recent years, and many of the places and things to do that so many of us remember, are gone forever.

Here's a thread that's dedicated first and foremost to places and things in the old Disneyland vicinity, that either helped to shape our first impressions of this wonderful, magical place...or perhaps reminded us that we were "almost there" in the family car.

I have several times mentioned Belisle's restaurant, which was actually about two miles south of Disneyland at the corner of Harbor Blvd. and Chapman in Garden Grove. This place was a classic...very good American style food...reasonable prices with portions large enough to feed a family of four, for a week. Specials on the side windows in chalk...a young man usually walking up and down Harbor ringing a bell...great place.

I stayed once at the old Grand Hotel at Harbor and Katella...and after Angels games my buddies and I would go to the Hyatt House bar (that's where most of the visiting teams stayed back then). Met several players that way...including Billy Martin when he was managing the Yankees (I forget which time !!!)

And, of course, who could forget the classic Watergate motel at the corner of Ball and West Street...Hopefully that's enough to jog a few memories...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Favorite Places Of Disneyland Area Yesteryear

Giving this thread a bump, and another chance to catch on....

I also remember ....

seeing movies at the Fox Cinemaland Theater on Harbor Blvd across from the park...

Is Melodyland still around? It used to be a concert venue with a stage in-the-round, and then it became a church after the Anaheim Convention Center opened its arena in the late 60's ...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

One last bump

Comment

Wonderbowl......Now where the Maliboomer sits. Spent many evenings on league there, and almost every New Year's Eve. Rock & Bowl was great fun also, just a stone's throw away from the house. Sure miss that place!
        Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
        it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

I loved seeing all the "futuristic" motels run by Stovalls': The Inn of Tomorrow, Cosmic Inn, Space Age Lodge, Galaxy Motel and the Apollo Inn. We never stayed at any of them, since we only lived a few miles away. Love that googie architecture! Too bad so little of it remains. The Wonder Bowl was a masterpiece.

I also liked the Katella Smorgasbord. Mmmmm...Swedish pancakes with lingonberries.

I'm still bummed that Belisle's is gone. The food was great and outlandishly huge, even by today's supersize standards. At 2 or 3 am, the whole ambience was utterly surreal: drunks, 3rd shifters, working girls and their "managers".
          An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
          www.TheTikiTerrace.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X