This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afraid to Fly?

Today's News has reported that the United States has uncovered a terrorist Plot to attack 10 Passenger Planes.

I was just getting comfortable flying again. I understand that security will now be taking what seems to some to be severe measures.

I am flying to Disneyland in just 17 days. I will have to listen to the news, and read the newspaper more closely, in order to insure that I now pack correctly. So far, I have just packed clothes for my grandson, and myself. I guess I will definitely leave all unnecessary items behind.

I hope our own dear MiceChatter, dsnylndmom, and her family went through today's airport security without too much turmoil.

I am feeling a little jittery about flying again. I hope that I don't pass this uneasiness on to my 13 year old grandson, or the rest of my party.

Afraid to Fly? Yes, a little.

I will have my eyes, and ears open for sure until August the 27th, when I leave for the airport.
    BarbaraAnn

Re: Afraid to Fly?

I will be praying for you and your grandson. I have never flown but was just getting comfortable with the idea of flying then this happens. *Hugs* You guys will be in my prayers. I wish I could be there to meet you.

Comment

Afraid, no. Annoyed, yes.

Next thing we know, they're not going to allow electronic devices nor books to be carried on.

The goal of terrorism is not to kill people - it's to cause fear and to change our ways of life. And, at this rate, they're succeeding.
      disneyphile@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyphile

Next thing we know, they're not going to allow electronic devices nor books to be carried on.

The goal of terrorism is to not kill people - it's to cause fear and to change our ways of life. And, at this rate, they're succeeding.
        wow no Ipods or cell phones I wonder?
        :crazylegs

Comment

I am not afraid to fly. I will be flying out to So. Cal on Saturday and am looking foward to my Disneyland trip next week. I WILL BE disappointed if any terrorist event happens the day that I go to Disneyland though because I rarely get to visit it. But if DL has to close down for safety then I would understand that. I could have fun elsewhere. Safety comes first .

You are not allowed to bring any gels or shampoos on-board the planes anymore. Those have to go in your non carry on bags.

Now that the Terrorist watch has been raised to severe, I don't see terrorists being able to commit any crimes on planes for the time being. Also remember the fact that these plots were all stopped shows how much of a watchful eye these airplane employees have . Also not that there will now be more on-board agents on many planes.

Also not that there are THOUSANDS of planes in the air each day that reach their destinations safely. The little few that don't is what the media capitalizes on.

Don't dwell to much on what the media says Barbarann, you have no need to worry . I know you will be safe. I have learned that worrying keeps people immoble and prevents them from enjoying things.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyphile

The goal of terrorism is not to kill people - it's to cause fear and to change our ways of life. And, at this rate, they're succeeding.
            Exactly!!!! That is why they are called "Terror"ists.

Comment

Bah. This means no more anti-septic hand gel that I rely heavily upon.

However, I wonder if they will still allow wipes..... :unsure:
              disneyphile@gmail.com

Comment

Okay, first off ... to give credit where credit is due. The plot was uncovered by the UK, not the US.

Second, not afraid to fly one bit.

Comment

I bet they will DP. I called the airport I will be flying out of and they said now the only changes were that no one can bring on-board liquids and gels. But I guess the policies can vary from location to location.

Comment

From Dallas Fort Worth Airports official website (I believe this rule applies to all Airports)
                    http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm

NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency.
                    Exception: Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling; prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket; and insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines
                    • Beverages purchased in the sterile area must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted onboard the aircraft.
                    • Passengers traveling from the U.K. to the U.S. will be subject to a more extensive screening process.
                    Some measures will not be visible to the public. In light of the elevated threat level, the Federal Air Marshals Service (FAMS) will provide expanded mission coverage for flights from the United Kingdom to the United States.
                    These measures will be constantly evaluated and updated when circumstances warrant. DHS and its components have coordinated closely with the air carrier industry, airports, and state and local stakeholders to implement these significant, but necessary, security measures. The traveling public can assist these agencies in carrying out their important security duties by:
                    • Packing lightly, without clutter to facilitate easier screening.
                    • Check with your air carrier well before your flight departs for information on when you shoudl arrive at the airport.
                    • Cooperating with TSA personnel at all checkpoints and gates because TSA Security Officers will be checking carry-on baggage at the gate.
                    • Being attentive and vigilant to any suspicious activity.
                    Protecting U.S.Borders. U.S. Customs and Border Protection will increase enforcement efforts in international arrival areas including the use of advanced targeting tools, special response teams including baggage and aircraft search teams, baggage x-ray equipment, specially-trained canine units, and explosive detection technology.
                    DHS has also mandated that all flights from the U.K. transmit passenger manifest information for intensive screening prior to departure from the gate. In addition, passengers on these flights and all other international flights will be subject to heightened inspection upon arrival in the U.S.

Comment

I don't like flying on a plane. But I do it.

*in ride talk only* I don't like up side down or pressure rides. *blushes*
                      Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

oh and it was a mess today with the code red/orange.

But I manage to get out of there safe.
                        Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

no drinks?!?!?!
                          wonder if that will become permenant?

and im always scared to fly, i hate it.
                          We Play Rock and Roll

Comment

I'm DEATHLY afraid to fly! But, not because of terrorism...because of our car accident in February. I almost had a panic attack thinking about flying to California in December...that's 4 MONTHS AWAY!!!! I NEVER EVER EVER was afraid to fly for one second before this and I have been flying now for over 15 years!! I used to be EXCITED about flying!! Any suggestions on getting over this kind of fear of flying?

Comment

Originally posted by neuhickman79
                              I'm DEATHLY afraid to fly! But, not because of terrorism...because of our car accident in February. I almost had a panic attack thinking about flying to California in December...that's 4 MONTHS AWAY!!!! I NEVER EVER EVER was afraid to fly for one second before this and I have been flying now for over 15 years!! I used to be EXCITED about flying!! Any suggestions on getting over this kind of fear of flying?
                              distractions,
                              a good book, gameboy, good music etc

works ok for me, but i still sweat, figet and run to the toilet every five minutes before a flight!
                              We Play Rock and Roll

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X