Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like to be my non-biased observer?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you like to be my non-biased observer?

I don't come around these parts too often, but my final report for my human sexuality class requires I ask a non-biased observer about their opinions regarding sex education. To help, you must read the following four summarized articles and give a brief summary of your opinion on the subject, citing two facts from the articles.

This would be a tremendous help to me as the teacher specifically said we can't ask our moms, and I think my friends are already opinionated about the subject.

So here goes:

Thank you so much in advance!

Comment

It feels odd talking about this on a Disney site, however, I have strong beliefs about this.....
      .......I think if teenagers were encouraged to *M* and use sex toys there would not be a need to have actual sex...... as a parent I think its our duty to keep condoms in the house for the teenagers to use if they so need to, no questions asked.

I know in our highschools condoms are given out for free,......... sorry I feel very odd typing this stuff here. and I am going to stop, you can email me if you want to know anything more about how I feel about this...Sorry if I have offended anyone useing the *M* word
      Last edited by Snacks; 04-26-2005, 08:31 PM. Reason: LOL I have guilt about using the M word so i shortened it to M :D
      Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

Comment

Believe it or not we are adults here and i think we all can at least handle the M word. it is the Z word I personally have problems with.
        >>Alan<<
        Member 216

Comment

Abstinence definetly a belief, whether religous or not: Are you personally ok with teenagers envolved in sexual activities? Either way, sexual education should enclude ALL forms of protection, including abtsinence, though the emphasis will either be more or less, depending on your the belief.

My personal opinion, though may not matter to most, is indeed for abtsinence. The quote said, "...teenagers cannot fully comprehend the risks they are putting themselves at when they are sexually active.". This is indeed true. Sadly, I have known cases of children (yes teenagers are still children) as young as 10 and 11 envolved in sexual activity. And sadly, some of these young girls are having little girls of their own. I understand puberty and hormones are going crazy in this time of their lives, as well as peer pressure (where ever that may come from) and they may not understand the full capacity of their urges. As stated earlier, " children are happier without the drama that comes with sexual activity,". Children should be children. They only get this precious time once.

So, is sexual activity an adult function? I suppose it depends on what age adult is really considered. I believe it depends on maturity level and experiences. There's enough time for teenagers to experience this type of lifestyle when they become older and "wiser", but not now. Isn't highschool enough to worry about on its' own?
          Last edited by Cuzco-topia; 04-26-2005, 01:45 PM.
          Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
          Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
          Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
          Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
          Marge: Pink.
          Homer: D'oh!
          Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Comment

Thank you thank you!

Comment

Cuzco, you have a valid point. Maybe it is more important that we redefine sexual maturity and apply the education then instead of waiting until morality says they are most likely to have sex, We need to teach choices and stress that any kind of sex is hazardous. If seems that none of the articles include oral sex which can spread STDs and HIV, Informnation should be taught ibstead of passing it on word of mouth.
              >>Alan<<
              Member 216

Comment

Originally posted by Cuzco-topia
                Abstinence definetly a belief, whether religous or not: Are you personally ok with teenagers envolved in sexual activities? Either way, sexual education should enclude ALL forms of protection, including abtsinence, though the emphasis will either be more or less, depending on your the belief.

My personal opinion, though may not matter to most, is indeed for abtsinence. The quote said, "...teenagers cannot fully comprehend the risks they are putting themselves at when they are sexually active.". This is indeed true. Sadly, I have known cases of children (yes teenagers are still children) as young as 10 and 11 envolved in sexual activity. And sadly, some of these young girls are having little girls of their own. I understand puberty and hormones are going crazy in this time of their lives, as well as peer pressure (where ever that may come from) and they may not understand the full capacity of their urges. As stated earlier, " children are happier without the drama that comes with sexual activity,". Children should be children. They only get this precious time once.

So, is sexual activity an adult function? I suppose it depends on what age adult is really considered. I believe it depends on maturity level and experiences. There's enough time for teenagers to experience this type of lifestyle when they become older and "wiser", but not now. Isn't highschool enough to worry about on its' own?
                Last I checked you cant have a baby from using a vibrator. If they need to do it.... they are going too.... in a perfect world we would have all waited until we were married... it just doesnt happen that way.
                Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Comment

I can see this from 2 points of view.

1) I was once a teenage boy. I'd go out with a girl a couple of times. On the second date or so, thoughts on sex would be brought up. If the girl gave the wrong answer, there wouldn't be a next date.

Does that suck? Absolutely. Is it a fact of life that this happens. Absolutely. Would abstanance education and abstanance pledges have helped.... Absolutely. I wouldn't have had to waste my time on two dates.

So, if we're going to preach abstanance.... then we better be ready to explain to our girls why the boys aren't the least bit interested in them and make sure we can convince them that it is a good thing.

2) I have 3 daughters (2 step). They are 21, 18 and 14. It is a tough row to hoe to convince them that virginity, and the lack of dates that result, is a good thing. I've opted for the preaching of prevention of pregnancy and disease... along with a heavy dose of honest discussion of the long-term emotional effects of partaking in sexual activity.

AND, I think that "SHOULD BE" the goal of sex education. School should teach the facts devoid of value judgement... These are the risks, this is how you can mitigate the risk (but the risk remains), and these are the likely long-term psycological effects of sex. PARENTS should be providing the values.

Unfortunatly, too many people want to tear down the wall of separation of church and state, and want their own personal religious opinions being taught as fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Snacks
                    Last I checked you cant have a baby from using a vibrator. If they need to do it.... they are going too.... in a perfect world we would have all waited until we were married... it just doesnt happen that way.
                    True, devices don't make babies, however, the sexual tension is still there. Couldn't we teach our children self control? Tell them these "horny" feelings are a normal and are in an akward stage, but we don't need to give into them.

Just for kicks, here's a small example, just to get an idea: Children love and feel the need to consume sugar. So, since this is normal for children to feel and desire this way, we should let them eat candy whenever they get the urge. Can you emagine their health and teeth? (not sure if that ex worked ) Anywhoo...

This is simply immediate gratification.

I whole heartely agree with you, dshimel, it does lie on the parents to teach their children/teenagers and provide values and honesty. Maybe if more parents did this, this wouldn't even be an issue.
                    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
                    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"

Comment

Just for kicks, here's a small example, just to get an idea: Children love and feel the need to consume sugar. So, since this is normal for children to feel and desire this way, we should let them eat candy whenever they get the urge. Can you emagine their health and teeth? (not sure if that ex worked ) Anywhoo...
                      1) We're not talking 5 year-olds. We're talking people that are 1-2 (maybe 3) years from being able to vote.

2) I don't think anyone is advocating teaching teens they should run out and have all the sex they desire whenever they get the urge.

A better example would be:
                      1) do we put all kids on low-carb diets, teach them that abstance from sugar is the only safe sugar, until they are adults and members of a health club where they go to work out 4 days a week.

2) do we teach kids that high carb diets and a sedentary life-style will lead to being overweight and will likely have many unhealthy side-effects such as diabeties and heart disease. If they're going to east sugar, it has to be safely (in moderation and combined with exercise).

Comment

Better examples, thanks

But, remember, even though these teenagers are just a few years away from voting, they are still kids. Come, on...you can't remember when you were 16..17...? A lot of bad choices based on unruley desires. Or was I the only one

Comment

Here is my opinion. I would like to see more education from a medical standpoint. I have thought about teaching classes when I become an RN that parents and children could attend together. If kids were more aware of

A- How everything works, all the cycles, everything from a medical standpoint, what happens when you have sex, get pregnant, etc

B- the consequences- STD's, pregnancy, etc

C- Exactly how different forms of birth control work

I would also encourage moms to talk to their daughters especially- that sex is painful when you are young and it is rarely pleasurable until you are in a loving relationship and it is about more than the physical aspect. Since girls hit sexual maturity at a later age, they are not physically, or mentally ready for it when the boys are. Also from a male point of view, a bet if you asked a lot of guys, they would feel pretty crappy about the women they were with before they met their partner- I know my husband does. He tells me all the time he wishes he had waited for me.

Sex education needs to be more straightforward and include the parents. A curriculum like this would provide a starting point for open conversations in families. Too many people are uneducated about this and make poor decisions because of it.
                          Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                          Help support the site you love:
                          -Visit the MiceChat store
                          Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                          MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

I am Just smiling.............
                            .................................................D id any of this work on you guys? Or would it have?
                            Sex is natural, can you tell them to stop breathing?

I am not saying its ok for them to do it. I dont believe in kids having kids.... However, the deed is as natural as breathing...remeber when you were 15?

LOL remeber the M word
                            hahahahahahahahahahaha
                            Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Comment

BUT,
                              Are we the same kind of parents that OUR parents were? Are we teaching our kids about sex the same way WE were taught?
                              As for me........NO! Problem was, it was never discussed...at least not in a 'healthy' or 'normal' way (lots of older brothers ).
                              So it's an informed decision; hopefully.
                              I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
                              That explains the trouble that I'm always in...
                              sigpic

Comment

Better examples, thanks

But, remember, even though these teenagers are just a few years away from voting, they are still kids. Come, on...you can't remember when you were 16..17...? A lot of bad choices based on unruley desires. Or was I the only one
                                I'm 38 and I still make bad choices based on unruley desires! What, no sex until we are so old we no longer have desires?

Comment

Originally posted by dramaqueen
                                  Also from a male point of view, a bet if you asked a lot of guys, they would feel pretty crappy about the women they were with before they met their partner.
                                  Oh yeah.... When us guys get together at the sports bar or strip club, all we talk about is how we wish we'd had sex with fewer different women.

Comment

<shrugs> some people are different than others- I am just lucky I guess
                                    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
                                    Help support the site you love:
                                    -Visit the MiceChat store
                                    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
                                    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Wow, i think i was one of the few that grew up in a very strict home. Being sexualy active wasn't even a thought that crossed my mind. <sigh> Just depends on your upbringing i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by dshimel
                                        Oh yeah.... When us guys get together at the sports bar or strip club, all we talk about is how we wish we'd had sex with fewer different women.
                                        :lol: :lol: :lol:
                                        Classic!!
                                        "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X