Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like to be my non-biased observer?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princess Buttercup
    replied
    Re: Would you like to be my non-biased observer?

I think it's a great idea for a final report.

To help, you must read the following four summarized articles and give a brief summary of your opinion on the subject, citing two facts from the articles.

Okee Dokee

This would be a tremendous help to me as the teacher specifically said we can't ask our moms, and I think my friends are already opinionated about the subject.

I think most people are already opinionated about the subject.

Thank you so much in advance![/QUOTE]

You're welcome.

Okay, in reading the four summaries, here are a couple of things that stand out to me....

The first article asks if congress should be giving more financial support to abstinence only programs. My personal feeling is no. I think congress should be giving more money to programs that do an excellent job of teaching all of the aspects of sex education. And to take it a step further, if congress is going to be involved at all , then they should be giving a lot more money to the arts and sports and other extra-curricular activities that would keep kids more supervised and give them less time unsupervised which is when they tend to get into "trouble."

The second article says that only brief mention of abstinence is made. IMO, it is not enough to just briefly mention it and say just don't do it. I think programs need to get into all the emotional and physical aspects of why it is better to wait. Teachers need to talk about how to avoid high risk/tempting situations if someone is really intent on keeping his/her virginity, but also discuss every method of birth control in case someone has decided to lose his/her virginity. The hard part for teachers is sharing that information without letting his/her own biases enter the lessons. However, I think that most parents prefer that their children wait to have sex, not necessarily until they're married , but at least until they're out of high school. At least that's what I think, but I may be wrong. I do , however think that the parents in any community have an impact on how sex ed is taught in their local schools. And if not, they should since those are their kids, and potentially grand kids who are being affected.

As far as the third article goes, are there any statistics to back up their claim that most schools are still teaching abstinence only programs?

As far as the fourth article goes, I find this frightening. It is unrealsitic to think that ALL teenagers are going to remain abstinent just because we tell them don't do it. IMO, we need to educate our teens in every way possible so that they can make informed decisions. None of my teenagers are in romantic relationships and none of them have even considered having sex with anyone yet. But they could have boyfriends/girlfriend just around the corner and I would want them to have as much info as possible just in case they just couldn't wait rather than being in the heat of the moment and having unprotected sex.

As far as sex education in general goes, I firmly believe that it starts at an early age in our homes when our children witness our relationships with our spouses/s.o.'s and our values. Educating our children and giving them all of the information available is not going to change the core values that we have instilled in them, it will only improve on them.

Just wanted to add to something that was said about kids and candy and their urges to eat it and how we should try to teach our kids self-control. I think it was Cuzco-topia who said it and I think she was on the right track. I'd like to take it just a step further by ading this example. If I see an adult woman at my office who is sincerely trying to lose weight but is struggling because of tempatations to eat chocolate or drink alcohol, I am going to do everything I can to work on behavior modification so that she won't be in situations where there is chocolate or wine there . But just in case she makes the choice to be in that situation anyways or finds herself in that situation unexpectedly, I am going to recommend different kinds of chocolate that aren't as detrimental to weight gain or give her tips on which alcohol has less calories because my ultimate goal is to help her succeed at what she is trying to accomplish.
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 10-06-2005, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Figaro7
    replied
    Re: Would you like to be my non-biased observer?

Originally posted by Cuzco-topia
    Wow, i think i was one of the few that grew up in a very strict home. Being sexualy active wasn't even a thought that crossed my mind. <sigh> Just depends on your upbringing i suppose.
    You weren't the only one. I was educated on all of the STDs and birth controls. I was expected to stay away from sex until I was married, which I did. Was it easy? I didn't date a lot in high school because I did not want to be pressured into anything. (I also knew guys who would give the girl one week, and dump her if she said no). In college it was harder since I started to date, but very choosy who I dated.

Let's put it this way, I honestly could wear my white wedding gown. I am so glad that I waited, and did not waste my virginity on someone who was not worth it.

As for sex ed., it is taught, starting in 4th grade. Parents can opt out if they don't want their child to be taught. It would be nice if more parents would take responsibility for this subject. At least at school, they hear all sides of the issue.

I think that abstenance (spelled wrong, sorry) and birth control, along with everything else, should be taught in school. There are kids, like me, who won't, even though it's very tempting, and others who will because they want to.

One of my good friends finally admitted to me that she wished that she had waited, like me. She and her hubbie were having problems because of all of the partners they had had. (She pressured me a lot by making jokes, but I'm the one who she was jealous of. It floored me).

Leave a comment:

• dshimel
    replied
    I would like to correct something I said earlier... that AIDS is the only STD to really worry about... I'd like to add Hepatitis especially Hepatitis-C to the list. With 30,000 new cases a year, it is just behind AIDS's 40,000.

But again, IV drug use is far and away the leading cause of transmission. Stay away from IV drug users and you're pretty safe here too.

Leave a comment:

• dramaqueen
    replied
    I just meant to say that the attitude of "it is other people's problem" is what will get us in trouble. I agree with everything you have said, just not with the spirit of it, if that makes sense. I still say that the AIDS epidemic is just as much your problem, if even you won't contract it (the genetic thing has to do with the fact that a large percentage of people with European descent have a genetic immunity to AIDS. The black plague wiping out 75 percent of the Anglo population caused their systems to develop an immunity to it. This immunity has been passed down through the European bloodlines as a immunity to contracting AIDS, something like 1 in 4 people with european bloodlines carries this immunity.)
    Anyways- education is still important in out country and if we act like it can't happen here, you can be sure it will!

Leave a comment:

• dshimel
    replied
    Originally posted by dramaqueen
    Another reason for the AIDS crisis is Africa is lack of education! 1 in 10 people on the african continent has AIDS because most do not know how it is spread ans do not think condoms can prevent it. That is a situation that has been largely been created by ignorance and lack of education. I don't think it is so farfetched that the same thing could occur here, especially since new cases of AIDS are on the rise....
    But that isn't true in the United States.... All races have access to education and condoms, yet with only 13% of the U.S.A population, African Americans account for 50% of the AIDS cases. I've seen study after study that shows that people of African ancestry are just more likely to "convert" (become infected with HIV with exposure).

And, 50% of cases are transmitted through male-male sex. 20% through IV drug use. 30% through heterosexual activity (most of these to women that are prostitutes, or are in long term-relationships with men that are IV drug users or have had male-male sexual activity).

In a study of prostitutes in 1993, it was estimanted that 13% of prostitutes are HIV+. But 80% of prostitutes have also done IV drugs. Taking just the prostitutes that don't use IV drugs, the rate of HIV infection was under 5% even with an average of over 200 sexual partners.

Don't be a man that has sex with other men, don't do IV drugs, don't be a prostitute, don't be a woman that has sex with men that have sex with other men or does IV drugs (don't be of African ancestry, as if you can control that).... And you're actually, you're risk of AIDS is very low.

Leave a comment:

• Gwyren
    replied
    Originally posted by dramaqueen
    Another reason for the AIDS crisis is Africa is lack of education! 1 in 10 people on the african continent has AIDS because most do not know how it is spread ans do not think condoms can prevent it. That is a situation that has been largely been created by ignorance and lack of education. I don't think it is so farfetched that the same thing could occur here, especially since new cases of AIDS are on the rise....
    There are also some places in Africa where they believe sex with a virgin can sure AIDS...that has lead to not nice things happening.

I should probably not be posting now, as I am groggy, iritable, and...oh yeah, unable to find my sources. I think I shall save this for another battle.

Leave a comment:

• dramaqueen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dshimel
    replied
    Originally posted by Giant Panda
    The big deal is that, although they can be mitigated, they are not being mitigated enough for various reasons. And the amount that they are not being mitigated is significant enough that the articles mentioned in the OP were written (and many thoughts on the subject are being shared here). Whole countries in Africa and Asia may die out due to Aids. It is, therefore, a big deal.
    The reason AIDS is spreading through Africa are many. Primarily non-monogamous relationships(long-term sexual relaionships, with multiple people, simultaniously), poor health, non-use of condoms and what seems to be a genetic voulnerability.

If you live in the U.S.A., don't frequent prostitutes, don't use illegal drugs, aren't a homosexual male, and have 3 or fewer sexual partners a year than you're far, far, far more likely to die in a car accident than get AIDS.

AND that is the only STD you REALLY need to worry about. Herpies sounds like it would suck, but it isn't deadly. The others are treatable.

I see no reason to teach "abstanance until marriage".

Leave a comment:

• Nephythys
    replied
    Originally posted by Snacks
    I am Just smiling.............
    .................................................D id any of this work on you guys? Or would it have?
    Sex is natural, can you tell them to stop breathing?

I am not saying its ok for them to do it. I dont believe in kids having kids.... However, the deed is as natural as breathing...remeber when you were 15?

LOL remeber the M word
    hahahahahahahahahahaha
    Sex is not so natural that we can't stop from doing it, unlike breathing. They are not comparable in the least.

Is this Jocelyn Elders?

Leave a comment:

• Giant Panda
    replied
    Originally posted by dshimel
    There are real consequences to sex. Unwanted pregnancy and STDs at the top of the list. If these risks can be mitigated, then what's the big deal?
    The big deal is that, although they can be mitigated, they are not being mitigated enough for various reasons. And the amount that they are not being mitigated is significant enough that the articles mentioned in the OP were written (and many thoughts on the subject are being shared here). Whole countries in Africa and Asia may die out due to Aids. It is, therefore, a big deal.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    It is great to be able to analyze this as adults. Apparently most of you have forgottten what teenage years are all about. Fortunately, I got to go through puberty again just a few months ago. I have a tumor on my pituitary gland that haltrede the production of testosterone and increased my prolactin levels. I had no sex drive and my nipples always hurt, but that is another story. I startd taking injections of testosterone that, to say the least, turned me into Mr. Super Horndog. All I could think about was sex, talk sex and wanted sex. I knew some of my advances and actions were determental to my relationship but did not have the ability to stop what I was doing. If I was in a position to think about what I was siuppose to do or meet my physical and emotional needs, i would have gone for the latter. There is nothing anyone could have told me about what was right and wrong that would matter. If we are going to be objective, we need to take in the reality of the situation and not what we as adults think should happen.

Leave a comment:

• dshimel
    replied
    Originally posted by Club 33
    I think another problem is that sex is all over the media now. Kids are finding out about sex at earlier ages and its got some adults wondering what they should do.
    Sex has been all over the media for the past 35-40 years. That is nothing new to today's teenagers.

The belief that sex should wait until marriage is based on Western concepts of families and marriage, which are in turn based on a capitalistic socio-economic system. Places where there were more communal societies (such as pacific islanders and many native American tribes, where all people lived in communal houses and all people shared all available food, there was no concept of waiting until marriage to have sex. Why? In a capitalist society, no one wants to pay for a kid that isn't their's.

Religion doesn't create morality. Religion takes on the morality of the society which creates the religion/God.

There are real consequences to sex. Unwanted pregnancy and STDs at the top of the list. If these risks can be mitigated, then what's the big deal?

Leave a comment:

• Club 33
    replied
    I think another problem is that sex is all over the media now. Kids are finding out about sex at earlier ages and its got some adults wondering what they should do.

Leave a comment:

• Jennidisneyfer
    replied
    But a good 'I've been there' education. Know what I mean? Is the stuff they teach in HS about sex really useful in the real world. Let me rephrase that: you can learn all about STD's and how to use a condom from a book/manuel/whatever. If I recall correctly, it was all presented in a rather hokey way in school. Just like what you see in movies isn't always realistic, the sex-ed films are so lame. Handing out condoms, I just don't know. Kinda mixed mssgs if you're teaching abstinence. Something's working though. I understand teenage pregnancy rates have dropped signigicantly in the past decade.

Leave a comment:

• Club 33
    replied
    Originally posted by Snacks
    It feels odd talking about this on a Disney site, however, I have strong beliefs about this.....
    .......I think if teenagers were encouraged to *M* and use sex toys there would not be a need to have actual sex...... as a parent I think its our duty to keep condoms in the house for the teenagers to use if they so need to, no questions asked.

I know in our highschools condoms are given out for free,......... sorry I feel very odd typing this stuff here. and I am going to stop, you can email me if you want to know anything more about how I feel about this...Sorry if I have offended anyone useing the *M* word
    Well, this is a discussion board, mainly abour Disney, but about other things too. We're not doing anything dirty here, we're having a frank discussion about an important subject.

Now, for my opinion.

I think that schools should have Sex Education, and I think that it should include Safe Sex and Absinence topics. I think that it is odd that schools are saying teens can't make their own decsions, I mean, aren't they supposed to be preparing them for life? And, if they don't want teens to have Sex, why are they handing out condoms? And let's not forget, the purpose of education is to prepare people for life, not just for young adulthood.

Now there is of course the argument of whether or not teens should be having Sex at all in the first place. I think that in some ways we have a distoted view of life. Let's not forget, until reletively recently (in the last 100-200 years) we've had big breakthroughs in science that have allowed us to live longer lives. No too terribly long ago, people would die from one thing or another in their 30s or 40s quite often. Think, if the average lifespan is 30-40, and you're a teenager, you're almost halfway through your life. We have to ask the question why are teens capable of having sex and having children if their not supposed to?

I do believe in abstinence and safe sex, I think that teens need to be given the opportunity to get a fair and balanced education on the subject.

Just my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• dramaqueen
    replied
    And no wonder 1 in 4 sexually active americans have/had a STD!

Leave a comment:

• Cuzco-topia
    replied
    I'm truely saddened to see that sleeping around is considered a good thing. The more the merrier. Gains life expeience. You need to shop around. Everybody's doing it. It's just part of nature. You're body was made for it.

Sex has become so casual. No wonder why some people still feel empty inside.

Leave a comment:

• Jennidisneyfer
    replied
    Originally posted by Cuzco-topia
    Wow, i think i was one of the few that grew up in a very strict home. Being sexualy active wasn't even a thought that crossed my mind. <sigh> Just depends on your upbringing i suppose.
    That is the exact point I was trying to make. I am teaching that sex is for adults. Teenagers are not adults. Am I a being unrealistic? So far it's working... Am I being a hypocrite? Oooohhh yeah! :lol: Seriously though, when the time comes that she is thinking about having sex, she will talk w/ me about it. We are completely open about everything. She has such an intellectual take on sex. She thinks about the consequences, the life-changing decision it can be. I.....uh, wasn't much of an intellectual. :devil:

Leave a comment:

• Cuzco-topia
    replied
    Ah, yes, machismo. How wonderful that society has placed such a stigma on virginity.

Leave a comment:

• Ortizmo2000
    replied
    Originally posted by dshimel
    Oh yeah.... When us guys get together at the sports bar or strip club, all we talk about is how we wish we'd had sex with fewer different women.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Classic!!

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X