This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury duty, again...

So I got a letter yesterday saying that I've been selected at random for jury service for the U.S. District Court. Less than a year ago I fulfilled jury duty for Orange County court.

Orange County was easy as I was there one day and left at noon due to no trials.

Anyone ever done U.S. District Court jury duty before?

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Re: Jury duty, again...

I've never done Jury Duty period. I'm 29 never got a notice. My sister is 23, has gotten 4 since she was 18.

Strange.

Ta Da!

Comment

never got jury duty, no clue

Comment

Only have gotten two notices for the San Bernardino Court...both times, I only had to call two times each and I was done. I wish Jury Duty will always be this easy for me. :shy: (Knocks on wood)
        http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
        www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
        http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
          So I got a letter yesterday saying that I've been selected at random for jury service for the U.S. District Court. Less than a year ago I fulfilled jury duty for Orange County court.

Orange County was easy as I was there one day and left at noon due to no trials.

No, but I've picked jurors in U.S. District Court in Santa Ana before - it's rare to be actually called. In the federal system, for the types of cases that use jurors, there is substantial pressure to settle cases (civil, criminal, and bankruptcy).

Comment

^ I knew one of our resident lawyers could help fill me in Being federal, I had a hard time thinking there would be enough trials out there that need jurors, so good to know that my instinct may be right.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Being a member of LE, I've never had the "pleasure" of getting a jury notice.

Good luck!

Comment

Yes, the only jury I served on was U.S. District court in Sacramento. It was at least 10 years ago. The trial only lasted four days, including deliberations. We found the defendant guilty. He was dealing rock cocaine, and they decided to try him in federal court.

I was notified in November for service during the month of February. I was called in to report on Valentines Day. When I reported, there were three trials selecting juries, and those who didn't get selected for the first trial, went on to the second, and so on. I was also told our chances of being called was 1 in 200 (1/2 of 1%) every four years.

Did the notice say what month you are serving?
                Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
                2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
                2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
                sigpic

Comment

^ the notice said I'm to call in in early october, don't remember the date right off, it went to my old address and was forwarded to me by the post office, we moved over a month ago

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

I'm 18, and i was called in for Jury Duty in July. Thank god my sister was scheduled to have her baby that day because they moved my jury duty to august...of next year! i got away with that one.
                    I Gravitate towards anything that Sparkles :clap:

Comment

In COlorado we have one day or one trial. My wife has been called about every six months for the last 10 years, but has not served or even had to come in as the recorded hotline is called on the Friday before your 1st Monday to find out if you even have to arrive.

I was called last year and served on a trail that lasted a full week. It's not as painful as people make it out to be. I would do it again if called.
                      Last edited by sailerm; 09-07-2006, 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

I did serve last year, actually went it, but didn't get called on a jury, so I'm very willing

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Bravo to you. Jury service, like voting, is part of our duty to participate and strengthen our system.

Comment

I should be called again soon, was called a yr ago but belle was just born so I couldnt so, they give you a yrs extension after childbirth. I do wish I could actually serve on a jury but my employer only pays for a week and I can;t affor to not get paid.
                            MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

Comment

You might want to find out if it is necessary to
                              go in, since you served jury duty less than one
                              year ago, for Orange County.

I have been called to jury duty about 8 times
                              in the past 20 years. And I'm fed up with how
                              SLOW the process is. I only had to serve on
                              a jury one time (DUI case) and they settled
                              out of court on the 4th day! ughhhhh!

And today, I was a witness for the first time,
                              in court.
                              Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                              An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                              Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                              Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                                You might want to find out if it is necessary to
                                go in, since you served jury duty less than one
                                year ago, for Orange County. ...
                                I think the original posting said that he had been called to service for the county - but this is a federal jury service summons. Serving in a prior jury in state courts (or the few county municipal courts that are left), is not an excuse for federal court service.

Comment

^ the notice said I'm to call in in early october, don't remember the date right off, it went to my old address and was forwarded to me by the post office, we moved over a month ago
                                  That sounds about right. My guess is that you have to call periodically that month until you are told to report. Unless you moved out of the federal district (and some of the federal districts are huge), you will still have to serve.

Some of my fellow jurors came from over 100 miles away. Rather than have them drive every day, the court gave them overnight lodging in lieu of mileage.
                                  Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
                                  2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
                                  2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet
                                  sigpic

Comment

If I weren't a commissioned salesperson, I would love to serve on a jury. I get called for service practically every year, but have done nothing other than sit around all day waiting for my name to be called. Last month, I was a call in juror and I never even had to go in.
                                    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Originally posted by Mouse princess
                                    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Comment

I get dismissed everytime, family in Law Enforcement. One of the judges was a high school friend with my dad in one case.
                                      1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

I'm so mystified by how it all works.

My mom has been called up in Alaska, North Carolina and Oregon on all levels of the system. She only served once, as she's been dismissed or never actually called in.

I'm going to guesstimate she's been notified for service 12 or more times. There was one year, she was in the loop and every month there was something she had to do, but ultimately the jury she was picked for--the case was settled before the trial started.

And I'm almost 33 and I've never gotten a notice.

In high school, a guy who had just turned 18 was picked for a jury, even though he was still in high school. We lived 200 miles from the state capitol and they put him up in a hotel for the duration of the trial! That was so weird! His family was so ticked off. :lol: He loved it.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X