This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name a nice thing ONE of your parents did for you as a kid

I dont know why this popped into my head but it did.

Sometimes parents just out of the blue do something extra special when you are a kid growing up. I'm sure we all have many memories of things our parents as a couple did for us (if you had both parents still together), but what about when only ONE parent did something extra special for you?

The one that stands out in my mind was when I was probably 6 or 7.

It was summertime and my mom showed me some toy that The Broadway was selling that was a Noah's Ark with all sorts of little plastic animals in it.

I asked, meekly because my parents usually ALWAYS said no when I asked for anything, "Can I have that?"
    Mom asked back, "Are you sure you'd like that?"
    I replied, "Yes please".

So, we basically dropped everything and drove to The Broadway in Panorama City, marched to the childrens department (they didn't have a toy department per se, just a kids department with mostly clothes) and bought that Noahs Ark. I tell you, I felt like the most special kid on the planet right there

What about you? Any one time special moments with one of your parents you'd like to share with the rest of us Amazing Larry?! Ooops, sorry, Pee Wee moment

Re: Name a nice thing ONE of your parents did for you as a kid

The one thing that stands out in my mind at the moment was when I was in high school, and my mom MADE me take typing. She almost held a gun to my head and forced me into taking it.

:lol: Now I look back and realize what a favor she did for me! I didn't think so at the time, but without that skill, I would not have been able to get most of the jobs I've had, nor would I be as.... chatty on the computer as I am now!!

Ok so its not a warm, fuzzy memory moment but it was an important one in my life.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

My mom took each of us kids on a trip - with just her. I got to go on a cruise when I was 18.
      sigpic
      Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

My grandparents... they made me promise never to smoke, do drugs, and to call home in case I was drunk and needed a ride.

Even though they passed on years ago, I have kept my promise.
        Growing older is manditory
        Growing up is however, optional

Comment

Mom buys me airline tickets to go to California with her .

Comment

When I was 9 or 10 I went to visit my dad's family in me xico during the summer as I did every summer. I always got back the weekend before school started. This summer I was upset cause I was going into the 4th grade and I had to wear the same clothes that I wore in 3rd grade. My mom knew i was a little upset, so when I got back from my trip she had all my new school clothes layed out on my bed. I felt like a princess.

More recently she bought me my first AP this last December. A combo x-mas/b-day gift. I love my Mommy!!!

Comment

Well, my parents BAIL me out of every nasty situation I get myself into whether it be a nasty divorce or a BAD decision to move out of state.

They are the BEST!

Ta Da!

Comment

My mother let my father agree to several family trips to WDW throughout my life.
                -Tim

Comment

Mom took me to see Broadway shows in NYC. She really couldn't afford to take us kids very many places, but once in while we'd get a day trip into NYC or to the beach. We still go together along with my DH, but of course I don't make her pay for it.
                  Amanda
                  Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today? :love:

Comment

Well, my Mom got pregnant with me when she was 17. She married my Dad and had me at 18, in 1971. Things were VERY rough for them. They were so young - just out of high school and my Dad had just started his new job in construction with the City of Anaheim. It was a rough new life for them - but they never gave up.

I know they did sooooo much, but one thing that I totally remember is that for many years, they never bought each other presents because they put that money towards getting us kids gifts. There wasn't a lot of money in the 'house' so to speak, so what little there was had been directed all towards us.

Today, things are much brighter. I might add that Dad is a 'big wig' with the City of Anaheim now and he and Mom have been happily married for 35 years. And you know what? They buy each other Christmas presents now....

My parents are always sharing the wealth though. Not 10 minutes ago my Mom emailed me to tell me that she got my wife and I a Sam's Club membership. She just 'thought it would be a good idea' if we had one.

They also bought our babies furniture for us - about $1400. They called us this past Saturday Night to tell us that they were taking us all out to breakfast after church - just because.

Anyway, they sacrificed and continue to sacrifice. I don't think it ever stops, really.

Comment

No matter how poor we were (welfare, food stamps, the whole bit), my mom always made sure we made a trip to Disneyland every Summer.

Also, when I was little, she bought some cool Tupperware popsicle molds. We'd pour juice in them and make some of the yummiest popsicles I've ever tasted!

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                      Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

everything,
                        my mom is my best friend and I love her dearly. everything she has done for me , I now do for her thats what its all about, they take care of us, and we take care of them

Comment

My dad took me to almost every University of Minnesota Men's Basketball home game from the time I was three til I was 18. It was a time that was spent just the two of us and is easily my fondest memory from my childhood. He also took me to the NCAA Tournament in Minneapolis, Phoenix, Kansas City and Indianapolis to see various levels, including watching Minnesota play in the NCAA tournament in KC and the Final Four in Indy in 1997 my last year I lived in Minnesota still.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

My mom gave me life and my dad gave me my name. Those are the greatest gifts of all!
                            sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

My mom and dad are awesome. They are two of the most loving, supportive people I know.

Growing up, every year on a "school day" before the summer crowds, my parents would pull my brother and I out of class for the day so we could have a family day at Disneyland before it got mobbed. It always made my brother and I feel very special.
                              One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Originally posted by Mouse princess
                              Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Comment

My parents were so awesome. Aside from taking time to do things with me, they were really huge on birthdays. I had my 8th birthday at Disneyland! And my 9th and 10th were spent camping at Yosemite, another beloved place.

Comment

okay...~~tissue alert warning~~

my dad's idea of a birthday was being reminded of it first off...then just handing $$ over to go buy ourselves something....the whole birthday celebrations/gifts were always initiated & carried out by my mom.
                                  The year I was pregnant with Sam....(just 14 months after losing my first son)...my mom was in a coma in our living room in her last stages of cancer....naturally my birthday was just the last thing on my mind...My mom passed away on October 9th of that year...Sam was born on the 18th.....but the sweetest most precious thing I'll never forget was on my birthday on the 6th. I was sitting in the living room, & in the stillness & quiet my dad walked in with a hostess cupcake on a little paper plate...it had one candle in it....I hadn't even told my dad it was my birthday..and previous to this he had never ever remembered....he sat the plate down in front of me on a t.v. tray & choked out the words..."she told me in my dreams last night....this is from mama".
                                  i will never ever ever forget that cupcake!

Comment

Ok I didnt want this to become a birthday thread!! Birthdays are a given.

I wanted it to be an "out of the blue nice thing ONE parent did for you" thread. Come on people, reading comprehension!!

Kidding , keep 'em coming!!

Comment

My parents divorced when I was very young and my father generally lived some distance away, so I always cherished any opportunity I had to be with him. He was an art teacher, and my inspiration. I used to want to follow in his foot steps. So the best times with him were probably when he would take me to his school to help him with projects he had going on. One holiday he came up with the best possible gift that wasn't even on my wish list. A nice portfolio for my artwork. It's still sitting in my office at home full of drawings and other such projects I did in High School. Someday maybe I will go ahead and follow in those footsteps.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
                                        Ok I didnt want this to become a birthday thread!! Birthdays are a given.

I wanted it to be an "out of the blue nice thing ONE parent did for you" thread. Come on people, reading comprehension!!

Kidding , keep 'em coming!!
                                        what??
                                        let me tell you , birthdays were never a given in my home, I never got a cake or party anda gift some times when there was money. This is a wonderful thing pixy shared. thank you Pixy for sharing it, sounds like a wonderful thing your dad did for you . it made me smile
                                        And onut did say...... Name a nice thing ONE of your parents did for you as a kid

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X