X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hakuna Makarla
    replied
    Re: Name a nice thing ONE of your parents did for you as a kid

my parents let me live!!! If they knew how hard it was to raise me, yep I would have been a goner

Leave a comment:

• LuvsLilo
    replied

Yay! I have a story I can share. $$$ was tight in my family growing up. I had a certain budget for my prom dress my senior year of high school. My mom and I went shopping for a dress. The first store we went into I found my perfect dress. I tried it on and I was in love. My mistake was that I didn't read the price tag beforehand. I was near tears over it when I found out the price. My mom told me not to worry about it and she bought me the dress.

Leave a comment:

• pixywingz
    replied

Originally posted by hakuna makarla View Post
    Same goes for you nan girl!! :love:
    what can i say..we're a mutual admiration society! lol

Leave a comment:

• TDR_Fan
    replied

When I was suffering from depression, my parents offered to take me to Disneyland for a few days to cheer me up. For them, this meant taking several days off work and purchasing plane tickets to meet me there. I still can't thank them enough for doing that.

Leave a comment:

• Hakuna Makarla
    replied

Originally posted by pixywingz View Post
    I ditto that!:love:
    Same goes for you nan girl!! :love:

Leave a comment:

• pixywingz
    replied

Originally posted by hakuna makarla View Post
    After meeting you Mei Mei, I would have loved for you to be my sister. heck, you are so awsome I would have given anything for you to be my daughter. Now that we are friends, I feel like your sister and you mum. You are a very special human being, and God made you awsomely
    I ditto that!:love:

Leave a comment:

• Hakuna Makarla
    replied

After meeting you Mei Mei, I would have loved for you to be my sister. heck, you are so awsome I would have given anything for you to be my daughter. Now that we are friends, I feel like your sister and you mum. You are a very special human being, and God made you awsomely

Leave a comment:

• disneymeimei
    replied

This has taken some thought.

Mom:
    I would spend every summer at my grandparen'ts house in infamous Loon Lake, Washington from when I was six until I was a teenager, so back to school shopping didn't happen. When I came home for my 3rd grade year, my mom opened my closet door and there were FIVE brand new dresses for school! The extravagance of so many new dresses was overwhelming! I felt very special!

Dad:
    I didn't see much of my dad growing up. One Easter when I was about 9 or 10 I went with him and my aunt and her family to Arroyo Seco where they had a cabin on the lake or river (I really don't remember, it was water). I had spotted a three-horned lizard and wanted it. It was too fast for me, but not my dad. He caught that lizard for me. I was so happy. I was able to take it home and keep it as a pet for a long time. Sadly mom told me that it got out of the house and went to live in the rock garden. In the last year my brother shared with me that mom actually vacuumed it up.

My mother was not a demonstrative parent while I was growing up. I always yearned to sit in her lap or cuddle, or just hold her hand, but that was not how she was. When I was about 34 years old and she was very sick from her cancer treatments, we were sitting next to each other on a couch at a friend's house. The next thing I knew, she reached over took my hand and held it. I finally got to hold her hand. I still tear up thinking about that.

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

My mother and biological father got divorced before I was born (I never met him). I was raised by Mom and my grandparents until she re-married when I was seven.

During those few years I remember when I was home with the grandparents and she worked during the week, Mom and I went to the Woolworth's lunch counter ("luncheonette?") and had sandwiches - usually grilled cheese - just about every weekend.

Most everytime I saw a Woolworth's store after that, I'd think of those special times.

--Barry

Leave a comment:

• tassie
    replied

okay...~~tissue alert warning~~

my dad's idea of a birthday was being reminded of it first off...then just handing $$ over to go buy ourselves something....the whole birthday celebrations/gifts were always initiated & carried out by my mom.
    The year I was pregnant with Sam....(just 14 months after losing my first son)...my mom was in a coma in our living room in her last stages of cancer....naturally my birthday was just the last thing on my mind...My mom passed away on October 9th of that year...Sam was born on the 18th.....but the sweetest most precious thing I'll never forget was on my birthday on the 6th. I was sitting in the living room, & in the stillness & quiet my dad walked in with a hostess cupcake on a little paper plate...it had one candle in it....I hadn't even told my dad it was my birthday..and previous to this he had never ever remembered....he sat the plate down in front of me on a t.v. tray & choked out the words..."she told me in my dreams last night....this is from mama".
    i will never ever ever forget that cupcake!
    :gladsad: :gladsad: :gladsad: :squeeze: :squeeze:

That is SOOO sad!!!

My mother was one of those overbearing, overprotective, pain in the neck mothers. I wasn't allowed to go anywhere. From the age of about 14 her and I lived with just us two until I was in my 30s and even at that age she STILL didn't let me out of her sight. I was in my 30s and on Christmas eve, she got up in the middle of the night and "played" santa. Oh how embarresing!!!! But now, it's been 10 years since she passed away, and I'd give anything to have her still do that stuff

Leave a comment:

• stinkerbell
    replied

On another thread, Hyperbole and I were digging on our parents, and I said I didn't have a whole lot to contribute to this thread.

And in the mail today, my dad sent a card to each of my daughters, with really nice personalized messages to them. He has never, and I mean NEVER done anything like that before.

Thought I'd share.

Leave a comment:

• Princess Buttercup
    replied

My step dad used to take me to the dump with him on weekends and then we'd stop at 7-11 on the way home and get cherry and coke slurpees!

To this day, I still love those slurpies from 7-11 !

Leave a comment:

• NeverNeverland
    replied

:love: What wonderful stories!!

i'm trying to think of one thing and can't - they did and do so much for me! My parents are awesome.

Oh thoght of one - for my 15th? birthday, they bought tickets to see Into the Woods on Broadway (with Bernadette Peters)! Even my dad who isn't into theater (but came to every school play I was involved with even though I wasn't on stage) cam along. It was awesome!
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 09-08-2006, 06:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• disneymeimei
    replied

okay...~~tissue alert warning~~

my dad's idea of a birthday was being reminded of it first off...then just handing $$ over to go buy ourselves something....the whole birthday celebrations/gifts were always initiated & carried out by my mom.
    The year I was pregnant with Sam....(just 14 months after losing my first son)...my mom was in a coma in our living room in her last stages of cancer....naturally my birthday was just the last thing on my mind...My mom passed away on October 9th of that year...Sam was born on the 18th.....but the sweetest most precious thing I'll never forget was on my birthday on the 6th. I was sitting in the living room, & in the stillness & quiet my dad walked in with a hostess cupcake on a little paper plate...it had one candle in it....I hadn't even told my dad it was my birthday..and previous to this he had never ever remembered....he sat the plate down in front of me on a t.v. tray & choked out the words..."she told me in my dreams last night....this is from mama".
    i will never ever ever forget that cupcake!

You warned that we would need tissues...didn't expect to be sobbing...that is a precious memory....

Leave a comment:

• Disneykat
    replied

My daddy bought me flowers for my 13th bday.

Leave a comment:

• Gunny
    replied

Loved me.

Leave a comment:

• Cuzco-topia
    replied

I'd have to say my parent's generosity. Even having so little growing up, they both made it a point to make my sister and I happy. My dad would litterally take the shirt off his back to give....in fact he has. Shoes, too.

Leave a comment:

• Joshrzmeup
    replied

When I was young and in gymnastics class, a recreational class who often did performances at places, she tried very hard to never miss a performance and she always came to watch me at practice and always cheered me on, told me to never give up, and think positive.

Leave a comment:

• All Aglow
    replied

One thing is hard to name but I'm going with a recent one. My very first trip to Disneyland was a few years ago and my Mom bought my plane ticket for me. It was a birthday present but also she sent an email telling me that she knows I'm a great Mom and I'm a great daughter and she's very proud of me. It was really long but that's the gist of it. :love:

We don't really get along that well normally but that stuck in my head.

Leave a comment:

• J9000
    replied

dad used to work in london when i was a kid and commuted a 4 hour round trip each day so i saw him only late at night during the week. sometimes we would go by train up to london see the buildings he worked on (most of the tower bridge redevelopment,) and also visit the natural history museum and science museum (back in those days they were connected together.) that was great by itself but one weekend he took me to a bookstore in london which had one of the original darleks used in dr who. i was seven, (mccoy dr era) and Llved that show. the shop was under a bridge, thats all i can remember about its location

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X