Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Were You...On "The Day The World Stopped Turning"?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Were You...On "The Day The World Stopped Turning"?

I just thought I'd start this thread, for MiceChatters to share exactly where they were, when we first learned of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

It will definitely go down with dates such as November 22, 1963, and December 7, 1941, among others, as a date marking tragedy, and great change for Americans and the world.

My purpose here is to provide a forum for people to reflect, and share feelings. I am sure that there are quite a few MiceChatters that have were directly affected by the attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and the crash of Flight 93...to say nothing of lives that have been changed by ensuing events.

I'd prefer that we leave the politics, finger-pointing and blaming to other threads...but that, of course, is up to you.

Why did I choose the particular name for this thread?

Here are the lyrics from a song by Alan Jackson...

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
    Were you in the yard with your wife and children?
    Or working on some stage in LA?
    Did you stand there in shock at the sight of
    That black smoke rising against that blue sky?
    Did you shout out in anger
    In fear for your neighbor?
    Or did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children
    Who lost their dear loved ones
    And pray for the ones who don't know?
    Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
    And sob for the ones left below?

Did you burst out with pride
    For the red white and blue
    And the heroes who died just doing what they do?
    Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
    And look at yourself and what really matters

I'm just a singer of simple songs
    I'm not a real political man
    I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
    The difference in Iraq and Iran
    But I know Jesus and I talk to God
    And I remember this from when I was young
    Faith, Hope and Love are some good things He gave us
    And the greatest is Love

Teaching a class full of innocent children?
    Or driving down some cold interstate?
    Did you feel guilty cause you're a survivor?
    In a crowded room did you feel alone?
    Did you call up your mother and tell her you loved her?
    Did you dust off that Bible at home?
    Did you open your eyes, hope it never happened?
    Close your eyes and not go to sleep?
    Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages?
    Speak with some stranger on the street?
    Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow?
    Go out and buy you a gun?
    Did you turn off that violent home movie you're watching
    And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?
    Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers?
    Stand in line and give your own blood?
    Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family?
    Thank God you had somebody to love

I'm just a singer of simple songs
    I'm not a real political man
    I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
    The difference in Iraq and Iran
    But I know Jesus and I talk to God
    And I remember this from when I was young
    Faith, Hope and Love are some good things He gave us
    And the greatest is Love

And the greatest is Love
    And the greatest is Love

PS...please pardon the redundancy in my thread title. I meant to say...Where Were You On "The Day The World Stopped Turning"...MOD...can that be fixed? Thanks...
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 09-09-2006, 12:33 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Where Were You...On The Day The "Day The World Stopped Turning"?

As for me...I was, where I am right now...living here along the Pacific Coast, in La Conchita (between Ventura and Santa Barbara) to be exact.

I was working for a local radio station in Ventura, doing news and sports in the early morning...but that particular week, I was on vacation.

It was a stay-at-home vacation. Kathleen was working for the most part.

I recall that we'd had a few weeks of tough news locally...lots of shootings and major crashes, you know, the normal "breaking news". I recall leaving the Friday before, telling my boss...I'm taking a week off...and I'm not going to even watch the news. I need a break from the news.

I'd planned a single day solo train trip for Wednesday, September 12...Amtrak to Anaheim, then my first look at DCA since I had a free pass...then to the Big A to watch the 30-games out of first place Angels play the Mariners.

Tuesday morning, I'd been sleeping in. My wife went into her work early, about 5 AM Pacific. She was alone in the office, and turned on the TV at about 6:30 AM Pacific.

(MORE)
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Ordinarily, I'd be on the air doing news updates starting at 5AM Pacific. I would have gotten the AP wire bulletin about the first plane sometime after 5:46...and would have been on the air with the 6AM news, at the time of the second plane hitting the WTC.

Instead, I'm sleeping peacefully when the phone rings about 6:35 AM, and it's my wife.

Kathleen said...I know you wanted to take a break from the news this week...but I think you'd better take a look, at this.

Within moments, of course I turned on my TV...and then turned on my radio stations, KVEN-AM and KHAY-FM, with both already running the ABC radio feed of Peter Jennings TV audio, with my fill-in person's local updates of things involving local military bases, flights affected at local airports and LAX, etc.

I called in to my radio stations...and wound up going in to work...and assisting in our local news coverage that day.

It was hard, just from the standpoint that the "newsroom" at the station was small, and we had the only TV in the building...and everyone kept crowding in to get the latest info.

So, I was asleep... safely 3,000 miles away, not even awakened until after both towers had actually fallen, and the Pentagon had been hit.

As you might have guessed, I am a sports guy first and foremost and wound up handling news because, well, it was either that or find another job.

And the biggest story in maybe 38 years or more breaks, and I'm on vacation, at home asleep.

I'd like to think...in fact I know that I would have been able to handle myself professionally as the story was developing. It would have been tough...but that's what radio types do.

Anyway, pardon me for the long rambles. I have some other thoughts to share...but I'd like to hear from others.

--Barry

Comment

The world didn't stop turning...the people that say that are the ones admitting that we had been overcome by the terrorists.
        Ah, how strange! The molecules are so active now!

Comment

Originally posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
          The world didn't stop turning...the people that say that are the ones admitting that we had been overcome by the terrorists.
          Thanks,boyguna. It certainly did seem to many of us that the world stopped turning, at least for a short time. And again, my desired point of this thread is to find out out what you were doing at the time...where were you?

Comment

I was in bed, but a search may come up with more details of that day...I think I typed it out before last year and the year before.

Comment

they may not have overcome us, but they definatly affected our lives and who we live and travel...they also put a fear in many that will not go away and the memories of that day still bring back powerful memories and tears....yeah...i think they accomplished theri goal. It wasn't to over come us...it was to terrorize us and they did and still do.

Comment

People sat around televisions all morning long here.. and for the rest of the morning it was alot of fear and panic.

Alot of people who had friends or family in the Pentagon or in DC. Around here there was alot of panic about the planes still in the air, and other reports of incidents that weren't true (car bomb at the FAA HQ near here). People were somewhere between awe and panic for most of the morning in the DC area.

For me, I was at work, with the first day of a new hire.. he's in the office for the very first time in from Oklahoma.. and before the day even gets started the news starts to hit.

Now we don't have any cable feeds in the office.. and streaming TV wasn't very prevalient yet at that time.. so we were going on the updates from the news websites. Eventually we rigged up some rabbit ear antennas and were watching grainy video. Just in time to watch the second plane hit.

People tried to go on working, but then the fear starting hitting about how much further spread this was. There was alot of conflicting information at the time, and the entire downtown DC area was frantic. Everyone not downtown was worried about their families spread around the area.

Many people were ready to go and rush to pick up their kids and lay low, etc.

Maybe Boygunasurf was no where near these incidents.. but for the people in the areas of the attacks it was a WORLD of difference. Plus.. the west coast folks had the benefit of more confirmed information by the time they got up and around. East coast was happening LIVE and there was a TON of unknowns.

Reports of more unidentified planes, etc. There was alot of legit fear in the area. Panic didn't break out.. but there were plenty of people that simply dropped what they were doing and focused on themselves and family. Most others were in this walking stunned phase.. talking more about the events.. nothing else that day seemed to matter.

My new employee was retired Army Intelligence and basically thought he was going to be recalled immediatly.. and had to figure a way back home. In fact he rented a car two days later and drove home to Oklahoma because the airports were still an unknown cluster.
                Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

With the time difference I was just home from school (I was 11) and was doing my homework with the radio on and then the news came on, and I found out about it, so I ran downstairs and flicked on Sky News on the tv and shouted to my mam....
                  Then I went onto the internet and sent an email to my friend who had just moved to NY...I never got a reply, but I'm not sure if I had the right address...

I got a poem in school 2 years ago about 9/11....Its a nice poem, if I find it I'll post it

(Fahrenheit 9/11 was on tv here last night)
                  Last edited by Laura678; 09-09-2006, 01:51 PM.

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Comment

I was completely oblivious to the entire thing almost the whole day. I woke up, went to school, etc. I only heard little at school, but never really paid attention. I thought it was just a regular plane crash or something.

I came home for lunch with one of my friends and my mom had come into the room where we were eating and she said something about a World Trade Center, I didn't know what it was and again thought it was just a plane crash.

Then I found out the full extent of it all in my 6th period French class. I made the connection between WTC and Twin Towers. Went home and got more info.

To be honest, it never really hit me that hard, maybe it was my age, my personaility at the time (very anti-government and very angsty and spiteful) or what. I never really felt the important of it all until much later. Especially after seeing the memorial at Cal Expo.

Comment

I was in bed, it was 5 in the morning or something like that. My husband was up watching the news and came back and told me what was happening. I came out to watch the news and just stood in shock as the Tower collapsed, I was numb the whole day and really frightened for what may be in store for the west coast.

It's always me

Comment

I'd seen it all happening on the news that morning before leaving for work. But most of the rest of the day I was in my classroom, trying to quell the fears of my little second greaders about the "bad men" who had crashed a plane into a building. Meanwhile, the whole time I did not know the fate of my husband who was away on business. In NYC. In the area of the Twin Towers. He was unable to get in touch with me - cell phone signals and land lines were all jammed. When finally we were able to get in touch with each other it was about 2 pm California time. He was fine but he had seen the whole thing happen live. He was scheduled to fly out on Flight 93 the next morning. (thank you guardian angel) He couldn't leave NYC for 4 days and then only got out because he finally found a rental car and began driving west.

It was a rough time. He did suffer some post traumatic stress disorders. Neither of us can watch anything about that day - real footage or Hollywood movies. Too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                          I'd seen it all happening on the news that morning before leaving for work. But most of the rest of the day I was in my classroom, trying to quell the fears of my little second greaders about the "bad men" who had crashed a plane into a building. Meanwhile, the whole time I did not know the fate of my husband who was away on business. In NYC. In the area of the Twin Towers. He was unable to get in touch with me - cell phone signals and land lines were all jammed. When finally we were able to get in touch with each other it was about 2 pm California time. He was fine but he had seen the whole thing happen live. He was scheduled to fly out on Flight 93 the next morning. (thank you guardian angel) He couldn't leave NYC for 4 days and then only got out because he finally found a rental car and began driving west.

It was a rough time. He did suffer some post traumatic stress disorders. Neither of us can watch anything about that day - real footage or Hollywood movies. Too soon.
                          Wow....Thank God he was ok...It must have been really hard for both of you not being able to contact eachother...I'm glad he's alright

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Comment

Re: Where Were You...On "The Day The World Stopped Turning"?

I already posted this in a few threads but:
                            My dad was in Newark NJ For Buisness at the time. He was at Hiatt Newark, and the WTC is incredibly visible from the breakfast area. He was having breakfast with his co workers, when they saw the first plane, a loud boom, and an explosion. From what he said, you could see EVERYTHING from that room and the angle he was at. I found out how right he was when i stayed at the exact hotel last august how well you could have seen the accident. But on that morning I was in bed still, I was in 4th grade and my mom woke me up saying daddy just called and a plane hit the world trade center. I didn't know what that was so i looked on TV and saw it. I was amazed, terrified and in awe. I really was worried about my dad as his plane was scheduled to leave about 4 hours after the crash. I went to school, everyone was talking about it but didn't really know what happened. The teachers were told not to say a word about it. That made me really mad so i spoke up and was sent to the offiice for speaking out of turn.
                            Anyways, I got home, my grandparents came over for dinner to comfort me and say my dad would be ok. My dad was stuck 6 extra nights in NJ and had to come home in a Private Jet sent by his work (which I was told was extremely high class and nice)
                            He got home, and was safe.
                            That was a scary day..

Comment

I was at work. All of a sudden the office started buzzing and when I asked someone what was going on they said, "They're sending eveyone home." I asked why and they said, "Because the entire United States is under attack! Airplanes are crashing all over the place!" I was like... WTF? I had a feeling that was blown way out of proportion but I had absolutely no clue what actually happened until I got in the car and turned on the radio. And I was just stunned. I called my mom to see if she knew about it and of course she did. I turned on the TV as soon as I got home and was futher stunned and just outright shocked. Sometimes I still can't believe it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                People sat around televisions all morning long here.. and for the rest of the morning it was alot of fear and panic.

Maybe Boygunasurf was no where near these incidents.. but for the people in the areas of the attacks it was a WORLD of difference. Plus.. the west coast folks had the benefit of more confirmed information by the time they got up and around. East coast was happening LIVE and there was a TON of unknowns.

Reports of more unidentified planes, etc. There was alot of legit fear in the area. Panic didn't break out.. but there were plenty of people that simply dropped what they were doing and focused on themselves and family.
                                All I can say is...while admittedly, like I said I was a sleeping vacationer when it happened...there were plenty of really scared folks here, albeit three thousand miles away. It made sense to many at the time that they might try to hit a major West Coast landmark next...Like Hollywood or Disneyland.

Another of my thoughts...as a professional, I had to put my feelings and emotions aside while reporting the news. By 9/13, I decided to take my train trip (Amtrak was back running again)...and since all baseball had been cancelled, I was only going over to the DLR for the day (as you might imagine, the crowds were light and the mood was somber in both parks).

Anyway, when my train reached Anaheim, I got off at the station...which is just north of the Angel Stadium parking lot. I saw the Big A message board, which blinked the message to motorists on the freeway..."All games cancelled through this weekend."

Then, the next message...the image of an American flag, with the words...UNITED WE STAND.

That's when the tears I'd been holding back, began to flow for me...for several minutes...right there on on the train platform.

--Barry

Comment

This is what I posted in the thread that FantasyWatersDude did last week....

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                                  In the mornings while getting ready for work I never turn on the tv. I usually (before MC) would just play one of my CD's, I didn't even listen to the radio.

I didn't find out until I got to work. I was working at an elementary school at the time, and went into my room and turned on the computers. When I went to "my" station and saw the news story on the home page. My very first thought was one of total disbelief. I felt like it had to be like an April Fools joke or something, it couldn't possibly be real. The entire thing was just surreal those first few hours.

My daughter was going to school in Fullerton at the time, and between classes I went down to the office and called her. She had left school and came home as soon as word got out about what happened, and I think she spent the rest of the day in the apartment watching tv.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                                  all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                                    This is what I posted in the thread that FantasyWatersDude did last week....
                                    EDITED TO ADD LINK BELOW

I do apologize for the thread redundancy...it is honestly something I try to avoid. I did a search, and went back several pages in different forums, but somehow I just flat missed on this.

Anyone who wishes to post here is still welcome to do so, of course.

--Barry

Here is FantasyWatersDude's thread as well, with many remembrances.
                                    Last edited by Radiobarry; 09-09-2006, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                                      I do apologize for the thread redundancy...it is honestly something I try to avoid. I did a search, and went back several pages in different forums, but somehow missed this.

Anyone who wishes to post here is still welcome to do so, of course.

--Barry
                                      :squeeze: No problem Barry!!!! Its a timely topic and there is nothing wrong with having several places to talk about it with each other!

(Just so you know... I had a hard time finding my post too! I just quoted it because I was to lazy to write it over )

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                                      all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                                        I do apologize for the thread redundancy...it is honestly something I try to avoid. I did a search, and went back several pages in different forums, but somehow I just flat missed on this.
                                        That is cuz it was just called "Where were you?" I didn't notice it either. Just a (friendly) reminder to us the importance of good thread titles.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X