• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phones spill secrets of previous users

OMG is these for real!
    Build a fortune in Window Cleaning
    | backgroundcheck

Re: Phones spill secrets of previous users

Right, because I believe you have to remove the SIM card and put it into your new phone. If he left it in, he left all his info too.

But I might be wrong.

Ta Da!

Comment

Originally posted by claribella View Post
      Right, because I believe you have to remove the SIM card and put it into your new phone. If he left it in, he left all his info too.

But I might be wrong.

Nope, has nothing to do with the SIM card. Some things can be saved on a SIM card, but all cell phones nowadays have internal memory for stuff like emails, text messages, ringtones, pictures...etc.

It's this memory that is the hardest to erase completely because of the type of memory that it is.

Manufacturers need to include some kind of program or utility built into the phone that will completely wipe any personal information from the phones. Hard resets will usually work, but most people don't hard reset their phones before giving them away or selling them.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod View Post
        Nope, has nothing to do with the SIM card. Some things can be saved on a SIM card, but all cell phones nowadays have internal memory for stuff like emails, text messages, ringtones, pictures...etc.

It's this memory that is the hardest to erase completely because of the type of memory that it is.

Manufacturers need to include some kind of program or utility built into the phone that will completely wipe any personal information from the phones. Hard resets will usually work, but most people don't hard reset their phones before giving them away or selling them.
        Well ew! Now I'm afraid to text message on my phone...ugh. I just know that when I bought a new phone, the sales guy took out my SIM card from my old phone and put it in the new one.

Ta Da!

Comment

Thats good to know now but it should be the companys responsbilty to add this to there warning label or owners manual as an FYI. Not many people think about this before they give there phone away.
          Last edited by Kaye; 09-11-2006, 10:29 AM.
          Originally posted by aashee (Farter Extraordinair)
          Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

Comment

Well ew! Now I'm afraid to text message on my phone...ugh. I just know that when I bought a new phone, the sales guy took out my SIM card from my old phone and put it in the new one.
            Most SIM cards are only used for phone information so it can access the network, and storing phone numbers/contact information.

Everything else is pretty much stored on the phone's internal memory, or in some cases on memory cards inserted into the phone.
            sigpic

Comment

Everything else is pretty much stored on the phone's internal memory, or in some cases on memory cards inserted into the phone.
              which double confirms my ew....

Ta Da!

Comment

Ok then question. If I delete an IM, then it goes into the phones memory...I can then retrieve it again? How does one delete permanently?

Ta Da!

Comment

Ok then question. If I delete an IM, then it goes into the phones memory...I can then retrieve it again? How does one delete permanently?
                  Well, technically the only way to erase something like that permanently is to have the memory wiped, or hard reset the phone. Problem is that you can't just do it to one IM or TM - it's an all or nothing proposition.

Unfortunately, the way the phone and it's memory works doesn't allow you to retrieve any deleted messages. You can do it with special software and a data cable - maybe - but not from the phone itself.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hmm..which is why I'm not selling my phone one Ebay when I get the Chocolate.

Ta Da!

Comment

Hmm..which is why I'm not selling my phone one Ebay when I get the Chocolate.
                      Chances are good your standard phone user doesn't care about what was on the phone and doesn't know how to get the info that might be on it...just wants the phone.
                      sigpic

Comment

Chances are good your standard phone user doesn't care about what was on the phone and doesn't know how to get the info that might be on it...just wants the phone.

I'm sure..but no chances.

Ta Da!

Comment

Somewhat off topic...

Isn't it true that anyone with a halfway decent scanner and knowledge of frequencies can listen in on not only cell phone conversations, but cordless phone conversations in their immediate neighborhood, because they're using essentially radio waves...

I know that back in the 90's, when they were still mostly carphones...I had a friend who was a "scanner freak" and was quite the eavesdropper...

Lesson here...unless you are on an old-fashioned land line phone, think twice about what you say.

--Barry
                          God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

hmm... good thing i usually get rid of my phones through the recicling plan t-mobile has...

i know how to soft reset the phones... and medium reset the phones...

(Sidekicks dont have hard.. only mediaum which is same thing, but half the stuff is moved onto sim..)

Comment

By now, anything electronic should be highly researched before tossing or selling. Especially if you're sending a lot of personal info around...

Comment

i never bother selling my used electronic devices at ebay thats all.
                                Build a fortune in Window Cleaning
                                | backgroundcheck

Comment

To erase everything you can do a hard reset and/or restore to factory settings. The sim card will basically only carry phone contacts (if they are saved onto the sim card) and text messages. It will also carry over the voicemail indicator. The problem is that people will not worry about the stuff they have on their old phone (i.e. emails, pictures, etc.). I work for Cingular and you won't believe what people have on their phones. You can't clone phones anymore but you used to be able to with the weaker RF's. The phones memory is just like your computer, even if something is deleted, you can still retrieve it, but only with the proper software. Oh and if you have a bluetooth phone, unless you are using a headset, make sure you have the bluetooth off, they can be hacked, look at Paris Hilton.
                                  -Jack :geek:
                                  Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

The ONLY way to be absolutely, positively sure your cellphone's memory is erased:

"Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
                                    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Which is why I keep all of my old cell phones..

Comment

Originally posted by EagleWings View Post
                                        Which is why I keep all of my old cell phones..
                                        Me too. Theres a nice collection going on in my house.
                                        "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X