Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Abraham Lincoln

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Abraham Lincoln

    You know I am a big fan of all the things Lincoln did during his life time. I think he is an incredible person. Plus his Birthplace/Boyhood home is only 40 minutes from where I live and I always love to visit it.

    So, what Abe Lincoln museum or monument did you enjoy visiting the most and which ones do you want to visit?

    Plus what did you like/dislike about Lincoln?

  • #2
    Re: Abraham Lincoln

    Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    You know I am a big fan of all the things Lincoln did during his life time. I think he is an incredible person. Plus his Birthplace/Boyhood home is only 40 minutes from where I live and I always love to visit it.

    So, what Abe Lincoln museum or monument did you enjoy visiting the most and which ones do you want to visit?

    Plus what did you like/dislike about Lincoln?
    My son is named Lincoln, that should say alot

    Ta Da!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Abraham Lincoln

      You gave your son a cool name .

      Well something I always believed was that the Lincoln Logs were named after Abe, but nope, it was Frank Lloyd Wright's son, Lincoln who made the toy.

      Oh plus my home was built by Honest Abe Log Home Company.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Abraham Lincoln

        I dislike the mythology that surrounds Abe. The way America really plays up the Emancipation deal, that he was rather indifferent to...

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Abraham Lincoln


          Visited Ford Theater this summer, and saw his blood stained pillow at the Peterson House across the street where he passed away. On a side note, the hotel in Silverton Colorado has the same wallpaper as the booth that Abe was sitting in the night he was shot. Restorers used a swatch of Silvertons paper to restore the booth.

          Here is the wallpaper in Silverton Colorado


          and a small sign explaining it's significance

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Abraham Lincoln

            Originally posted by Soulquarian View Post
            I dislike the mythology that surrounds Abe. The way America really plays up the Emancipation deal, that he was rather indifferent to...
            I must agree with this. I can't seem to "get" what he really did that makes him so great.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Abraham Lincoln

              Yeah, I guess "freeing slaves" doesn't count for anything.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Abraham Lincoln

                *Walks in to save a seat*
                What an idiot....

                Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Abraham Lincoln

                  Originally posted by sailerm View Post
                  Yeah, I guess "freeing slaves" doesn't count for anything.
                  It counts, but it certainly changes the dynamic when Abe is quoted saying if he could have won the war without freeing slaves he would have done it...

                  Kinda makes me feel less than enthusiastic about Great Moments.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Abraham Lincoln

                    Well I like him, because he led us through one of the worst wars we had, the Civil War. Plus he is a Kentucky native so most of the Kentuckians love him for just that reason alone. He seemed to have had a humble following of supporters though, because as the train his body was in passed through Illinois and other states, reports claim that many people were at the railroad tracks to watch it pass. They say his funeral also got a big audience. But those are just my opinions.

                    But there is also Thomas Jefferson. Oh man does he get gloried heavily. Yes he signed the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, etc. But when he wrote "All Men Are created Equal," he was referring to white Upper-Class prodestant males and no one else. But over the centuries we changed that for the better.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Abraham Lincoln

                      Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
                      Well I like him, because he led us through one of the worst wars we had, the Civil War. Plus he is a Kentucky native so most of the Kentuckians love him for just that reason alone. He seemed to have had a humble following of supporters though, because as the train his body was in passed through Illinois and other states, reports claim that many people were at the railroad tracks to watch it pass. They say his funeral also got a big audience. But those are just my opinions.

                      But there is also Thomas Jefferson. Oh man does he get gloried heavily. Yes he signed the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, etc. But when he wrote "All Men Are created Equal," he was referring to white Upper-Class prodestant males and no one else. But over the centuries we changed that for the better.
                      I think both men did great things, we just honor them for a rose colored perception of some of their accomplishments.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Abraham Lincoln

                        I agree. In some instances it is really hard to find things that show the truth behind some of these men. We only praise them for their accomplishments, but neglect their downfalls. It's all about completly glorifing them in the history books.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Abraham Lincoln

                          Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
                          I agree. In some instances it is really hard to find things that show the truth behind some of these men. We only praise them for their accomplishments, but neglect their downfalls. It's all about completly glorifing them in the history books.
                          That said, do we trash Walt Disney because there are arguments to support he was anti-Semitic? Or do we overlook his faults because, on balance, his positive contributions to the world far outweiged his deficiencies as a human being? Fortunately, he kept his personal thoughts mostly private and didn't go on a drunken rant in front of a SoCal cop. Wouldn't that have been interesting?

                          Jefferson and Lincoln were both great leaders and intelligent, eloquent speakers who helped bring their contemporaries through difficult times. They were also men, not saints. They expressed opinions and exhibited habits that are disagreeable to our current PC standards. But, guess what? History books are written by the winners, so Jefferson, Lincoln and other great men and women will always be shown in a more favorable light. That they were also imperfect doesn't lessen their accomplishments, it just makes them more complex and interesting in a historical perspective.
                          Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Abraham Lincoln

                            I think the only one west of the Mississippi is in Redlands, where I live
                            In 4th grade, all of the kids go on a tour of the town (it's hysterical, oh, I mean historical) and that is one of the stops.
                            There is also the Lincoln Pilgrimage, in which Boy and Girl Scouts walk (supposed to be silently) through town to the site, and a speaker dressed as Abe does a dpeech. Educational, again.
                            http://www.lincolnshrine.org/
                            http://www.lincolnshrine.org/pilgrimage2.html

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Abraham Lincoln

                              Originally posted by ladyalmalthea View Post
                              I think the only one west of the Mississippi is in Redlands, where I live
                              In 4th grade, all of the kids go on a tour of the town (it's hysterical, oh, I mean historical) and that is one of the stops.
                              There is also the Lincoln Pilgrimage, in which Boy and Girl Scouts walk (supposed to be silently) through town to the site, and a speaker dressed as Abe does a dpeech. Educational, again.
                              http://www.lincolnshrine.org/
                              http://www.lincolnshrine.org/pilgrimage2.html
                              Just saw this last summer, very interesting. Some of the historical pieces in there are really fascinating.
                              1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X