Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California bill on highlight homosexuals and eliminate all references to mom and dad

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: California bill on highlight homosexuals and eliminate all references to mom and

Originally posted by Hyperbole View Post
    If you actually read the text of the bill, it has nothing to do with teaching about homosexuality or any other kind of sexuality. It's about changing the terminology in books to be more inclusive to non-traditional households, that means single parent households, children who are raised by their grandparents, foster families, and yes, homosexual households.

People with an anti-homosexual agenda are trying to turn this into a homosexual issue. It's not.
    Eliminating all references to "mom and dad" is not inclusive. Furthermore, it is "heterophobic". I feel that a good case can be made that most heteros respect the right of homosexuals to enjoy the lifestyle of their choosing. As I have stated in the past, I myself am bisexual. But, I respect tradition. You may be progressive, Hyperbole...but you need to be far more open-minded, understanding and tolerant.

Whether overt or subtle, the teaching of sexuality does not belong in our schools.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-13-2006, 05:17 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Re: California bill on highlight homosexuals and eliminate all references to mom and

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
      Eliminating all references to "mom and dad" is not inclusive. Furthermore, it is "heterophobic".

Whether overt or subtle, the teaching of sexuality does not belong in our schools.
      No where in the bill does it say that it will eliminate those references...it just says that it will include /all/ references regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, etc...

Secondly, it doesn't say that it will teach sexuality...with that though, if the sexuality issue applies to the person/event in history, then I think it's appropriate to teach that this person or event included it...does this make sense?
      .....:::.......*.....,^,.............:..........:...................................*''*
      ..).....:::::.........|..| |.....*......':'..'.:.'..':'.......*........_\(/_.........*_\/_*
      (:ap:..':::'.....,^,/ \ | |...............:::o::: Remember,...../)\...........*-/\-*
      .\/|\........,^,| ||_|| |.,^,......*....'.':'.'.........Dreams Come True!...*..*
      .../\....*...| | \/|,-,|\/ | |
      MySpace.com/JivinJonno

Comment

Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
        Eliminating all references to "mom and dad" is not inclusive. Furthermore, it is "heterophobic". I feel that a good case can be made that most heteros respect the right of homosexuals to enjoy the lifestyle of their choosing. As I have stated in the past, I myself am bisexual. But, I respect tradition. You may be progressive, Hyperbole...but you need to be far more open-minded, understanding and tolerant.

Let me re-quote what I said:

Originally posted by Me!
        It's about changing the terminology in books to be more inclusive to non-traditional households, that means single parent households, children who are raised by their grandparents, foster families, and yes, homosexual households.
        How is making the terminology more neutral so that children from non-traditional households are included construed to be heterophobic, non-inclusive, and in any way teach sexuality? Homosexual households are only a small portion of those that would be INCLUDED in this kind of representation.

And I really don't understand how my belief that changing terminology to include kids from foster families and single parent households is a great thing makes me close-minded, not understanding and intolerant. I'd argue that it illustrates the complete opposite (no surprise there, right).

I think you're focusing too much on the impact of these changes on homosexual people, and not looking at the bigger picture.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
        Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

Re: California bill on highlight homosexuals and eliminate all references to mom and dad

Originally posted by Nephythys View Post
          My point is that there are alot of myths about alternative school options- and people need to educate themselves and not make generalizations. If it isn't for you- fine- but do not denigrate something enmasse without realizing you may be wrong.
          *Very* well said, and thank you. We're homeschooling, UN-schooling even, and my 7 yo reads Harry Potter, as fluidly as I do. And he even has friends.
          xo, Deanna

Comment

Re: California bill on highlight homosexuals and eliminate all references to mom and dad

Originally posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post

People mostly are sheep. Takes a bit to get them going and most people aren't going to research it themselves.
            I was thinking more like cattle

Comment

Originally posted by Brain Toad View Post
              Emails like these are always fun.

Speaking of homosexuals in history, is Harvey Milk covered in schools these days? I know I never learned about him and learned about him through the Dead Kennedys song I Fought the Law (And I Won)
              As far as I know, he isn't mentioned...
              .....:::.......*.....,^,.............:..........:...................................*''*
              ..).....:::::.........|..| |.....*......':'..'.:.'..':'.......*........_\(/_.........*_\/_*
              (:ap:..':::'.....,^,/ \ | |...............:::o::: Remember,...../)\...........*-/\-*
              .\/|\........,^,| ||_|| |.,^,......*....'.':'.'.........Dreams Come True!...*..*
              MySpace.com/JivinJonno

Comment

Originally posted by JivinJonno View Post
                No where in the bill does it say that it will eliminate those references...it just says that it will include /all/ references regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, etc...

Secondly, it doesn't say that it will teach sexuality...with that though, if the sexuality issue applies to the person/event in history, then I think it's appropriate to teach that this person or event included it...does this make sense?
                When would a " sexualtiy " issue apply? If you have done something great then you are note worthy in history , who cares which way you swing?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny View Post
                  I was thinking more like cattle

:ot: Heh, just reminded me of that lumber yard near the park...a few weeks back their sign read...

"Laughing Stock - Cattle with a sense of humor."

Good times!
                  MySpace.com/JivinJonno

Comment

Originally posted by JivinJonno View Post
                    :ot: Heh, just reminded me of that lumber yard near the park...a few weeks back their sign read...

"Laughing Stock - Cattle with a sense of humor."

Good times!
                    I go by there too and always look forward to their next quote ! Hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Wotan View Post
                      Can I ask a slightly different question about this legislation?

Why is this even an issue? Not in the way you think.

Why is our legislature spending time on bills like this? After all, our budget is completely balanced, we have no long term debt, our roads are all in perfect shape, schools are top notch across the board, our economy is booming, everyone can find a great paying job, and Homeland Security--wow, we've never been safer. We've even solved the problems of immigration from Mexico and itinerant farm workers.

Of all the things our government leaders should be working on, this shouldn't be in the top 100 concerns. We have far more important needs that ought to be solved first before we get to this stuff.

(I realize this makes me sound like a raging Lewis Black clone, but I just can't give up that rageahol.)
                      I agree. Some school systems have just gotten to political. I heard that the Mayor of Los Angeles also wanted to join the school board when I visited California several weeks ago. The government should back off a bit and let the school boards determine what children learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
                        I heard that the Mayor of Los Angeles also wanted to join the school board when I visited California several weeks ago.
                        No, the Mayor wants to take over the school district because the LAUSD is such a collossial failure on every single level. I think the idea is a good one, but that Villaregosa is just as incompetent as the current school board.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                        Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

No, the Mayor wants to take over the school district because the LAUSD is such a collossial failure on every single level. I think the idea is a good one, but that Villaregosa is just as incompetent as the current school board.

Oooohhh Okay. I didn't see that part. Thanks Amber .

Comment

Originally posted by Brain Toad View Post
                            Speaking of homosexuals in history, is Harvey Milk covered in schools these days? I know I never learned about him and learned about him through the Dead Kennedys song I Fought the Law (And I Won)
                            Granted, I graduated high school in 1991, we did learn about Harvey Milk in my 11th grade Social Studies class. It was mainly in reference to the Twinkie Defense and there wasn't really any mention of why Milk was killed or that he was gay. It wasn't until I headed off to college in the San Francisco Bay Area that I put two and two together.

DK were great though, weren't they? Saw Jello do spoken work back in 94. Good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunny View Post
                              When would a " sexualtiy " issue apply? If you have done something great then you are note worthy in history , who cares which way you swing?
                              See post number 73...if that isn't a good example for you, I'll post again...
                              MySpace.com/JivinJonno

Comment

Don't let the state take over your school district. Vallejo did that since they mismanaged the money. We got a state guy in, first order of business, gives himself a raise.

Originally posted by lisaboo View Post
                                Granted, I graduated high school in 1991, we did learn about Harvey Milk in my 11th grade Social Studies class. It was mainly in reference to the Twinkie Defense and there wasn't really any mention of why Milk was killed or that he was gay. It wasn't until I headed off to college in the San Francisco Bay Area that I put two and two together.

DK were great though, weren't they? Saw Jello do spoken work back in 94. Good times!
                                Hopefully they will at least mention it when I take a California history class. He seems to be forgotten. And DK is amazing, one of my absolute favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
                                  Sorry... hate the idea of homeschooling, private schools, and public schools... and this comes from somebody that works for the public schools.
                                  Um, what's left?? The school of hard knocks? The streets?

Comment

http://www.eqca.org/site/apps/nl/con...333&ct=2923271

Sacramento, CA – 9/6/06 Earlier today, Governor Schwarzenegger vetoed Senate Bill 1437, the Bias-Free Curriculum Act, authored by Senator Shelia Kuehl (D-Santa Monica) and sponsored by Equality California (EQCA) . A simple nondiscrimination measure, SB 1437 would have extended existing laws prohibiting discrimination on the bases of race, sex, disability, nationality, and religion in textbooks, instructional materials, and school sponsored activities to include sexual orientation and gender identity.

On May 24, 2006, Governor Schwarzenegger announced he would veto an earlier version of the bill that would have required inclusion of the roles and contributions of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in history and social science curriculum.

"MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMooooooooooooooooooooot!"
                                    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 09-13-2006, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X