X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just can't get over the anger

Story:

I used a moving company. They moved my furniture from California to Washington. They did not deliver a box filled with my expensive electronics. This was in June. I have yet to hear from them about this box. I believe one of their workers stole it.

I go to the Better Business Bureau and come to find out this has happened before. I contact the president of the company only to be told...ahem..and I quote:

"this has happened before..just file a police report and leave us alone"

I go to the police only to be told there is nothing they can do. I need to sue them for the contents of the box.

I then give up. I have given almost $5000 to my divorce lawyer. I really don't have the money nor the stomach for more legal crap.

I need to get over it and accept my video camera w/ my son's birthday tape in it, my PS2, Kingdom Hearts 2 game and memory card and other accessories are gone. But sometimes..the anger about this creeps up....

Lesson learned:
    I will NEVER use a moving company again!

Ta Da!

Re: I just can't get over the anger

You could sue them in Small Claims Court. It costs VERY little, and the proceedings are very simple.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

Judge Judy will help you.
      sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Originally posted by Druggas View Post
        Judge Judy will help you.
        I SO wished I could go on Judge Judy. It is SO obvious that these people stole my stuff. I signed nothing as I refused to sign because I was missing a box. The movers said fine..and went to their truck and left. They have nothing with MY sig on it!

Ta Da!

Comment

Im sorry to hear about that, like Hyperbole suggested, try small claims.
          "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

That sucks.

When I moved last year the movers I used were wonderful. They got everything loaded, transported to the new place and unloaded/set up where I wanted them in less time than expected so I paid less than what I was quoted.

Comment

I talked with Kelly yesterday.... ther one who was moving to vegas from anaheim
              The moviers told her 1600 dollars to move, when they got there they told her she had to pay $5,000 they lied, and now she may not be getting her stuff. these creeps need to be taken down ~!!!

Comment

This happened to a friend of mine too.

He met some girl online playing Everquest (coughcoughgeekcoughcough) and without meeting her, he decided that he was going to move in with her. Problem was he's out here in California and she lived back in Wisconson.

He hires a moving company to move all his stuff. The come, pack everything up in a big truck and take off. He flys back to Wisconson, meets the girl and her 2 daughters for the first time, and then waits for the truck to show up with his stuff.

One week passes

Two weeks pass

He calls the company but gets no answer.. just voice mail every time.

Three weeks pass.

He finally gets ahold of someone at the number the moving company gave him. The company has gone bankrupt and no one is there anymore who can tell him where his stuff ended up.

He calls the cops. They tell him that he has to come back out here to file a report.

He flies back out here, fills out the report and the cops say that they will look into it.

One year passes.

He has left the girl in Wisconson and moved to St Louis to be with another girl he met on EQ. He gets a call from the LAPD. They have found all his stuff in a storage garage. The contents were to be sold in 48 hours to pay for the storage fees that were never paid.

He flies out to LA, gets his stuff back, then has to pay yet another moving company to get his stuff back to St Louis.

He got it this time, but man.. talk about an ordeal.
                Growing older is manditory
                Growing up is however, optional

Comment

Seems that you lost more than small claims court amounts.

If so, then you need to "lose" some other items as well. This will get the moving company's attention. No, not the drivers of the truck. Your contract is with the moving company. You can then settle on an amount you can both be unhappy with. (Sorry, neither you nor the company will be happy.)

Important note for the future: anything that is small and expensive that can be moved in the car that you'll be driving to your new destination, you should drive it yourself.
                  Double the stregth of this advice for irreplaceable items that might not have any value to anyone else but you.

I moved my electronic equipment myself the last two times I moved. I didn't want any of it broken.

And always use a big corporate name mover. Not a fly-by-night with the driver's name in the company name.

Karla, have kelly get a hold of a lawyer, fast. Those movers are bluffing.

Comment

I would probably sue in small claims court. It will cost you under $100 to get your judgement. No lawyers are involved. Be prepared and have all your documentation with you. Just be sure of the correct jurisdiction.

That said, however, once you get your judgement, you still have to collect your stuff or your money. The court isn't a collection agency. They will do nothing to help you in that regard.

You can do a "till tap." That will cost you another $100 or so. On a designated day, a sheriff's deputy will visit the company and seize any cash that they have or that comes in until your debt is paid. This works best with a business that uses a cash register, though. Really sleazy companies just close for the day until the sheriff goes away.

Do you have a consumer advocate TV reporter in the hometown of the moving company? A little negative publicity goes a long way! (...and it's free)
                    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
                    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

I need to get over it and accept my video camera w/ my son's birthday tape in it, my PS2, Kingdom Hearts 2 game and memory card and other accessories are gone. But sometimes..the anger about this creeps up....

Sorry to hear this happened to you!

I agree with those who suggested that you take them to Small Claims Court. It cost very little to file against them . From what you said about their attitude toward you , chances are they won't show up in court so I'm pretty sure you'll automatically win and they'll have to pay you. But getting the money from them will be the next tricky part!

I might also call them back and tell them that you're a member of a large internet community and that you're going to tell us all their name so that we'll never ever use their business!

Comment

Originally posted by hakuna makarla View Post
                        The moviers told her 1600 dollars to move, when they got there they told her she had to pay $5,000 they lied, and now she may not be getting her stuff. these creeps need to be taken down ~!!!

This moving company of mine did that to! I hope they aren't one and the same!

Ta Da!

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Buttercup View Post

Sorry to hear this happened to you!

I agree with those who suggested that you take them to Small Claims Court. It cost very little to file against them . From what you said about their attitude toward you , chances are they won't show up in court so I'm pretty sure you'll automatically win and they'll have to pay you. But getting the money from them will be the next tricky part!

I might also call them back and tell them that you're a member of a large internet community and that you're going to tell us all their name so that we'll never ever use their business!

I doubt anything like that will make them flinch. They did not respond to the Better Business Bureau inquiries, nor my million phone calls. They have a not so great record with the BBB and have had many complaiints like this.

Thanks for all the advice. When I return to Cali, I may just sue.

Ta Da!

Comment

I'm sorryt hat happened toyou. I would be angry also. Small claims court sounds like a good idea.

Comment

I am so sorry this happened to you (and the similar situation of Kelly). This same thing happened to me. There were boxes missing and I would not sign the papers. The paperwork makes it look like that will prove the loss. It means nothing. After many months of back and forth with the moving company I finally was too fatigued to continue. But the next time I moved I had one of those containers delivered and placed (with familial assistance) every box and item in the container myself. Then the company picks it up, delivers it, and again we extracted every box and item ourselves. I would NEVER use a moving company again. And by the way, we used a high-end, name brand mover and they were still BAD. Oh, and they also stole the items we had left out on our porch for a charity to collect. When the charity called later and asked if there had been a misunderstanding ( why there wasn't anything to be collected) we didn't know what happened, but then at the other end of the move we could see several of the missing charity items in the cab of the moving truck.

Comment

so sorry to hear about that

Orlando doing good
                                http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
                                Princess of Randomness

Comment

I've heard of this happening, I saw it on one of the investigative news shows. These movers should be SHOT!
                                  sigpic....If you can dream it, you can do it.--Walt Disney

Em Eye See, Kay Eee Why, Em Oh You Es Eee!

Are you a Disney Goddess? Me too! Check out my new T-shirt design here:

http://www.zazzle.com/Disney_goddess...88578286472471

Comment

I am going to ask Kelly what company this was, and I am going to have my friends send letters and emails. I think if they are going to be crooked, then they need to know folks will ban them .

Comment

I am going to ask Kelly what company this was, and I am going to have my friends send letters and emails. I think if they are going to be crooked, then they need to know folks will ban them .
                                      Let me know what company she used. I wished I could get friends to FLOOD their inboxes with emails.

Ta Da!

Comment

yep, yep, yep. The SAME thing happened to me and my husband. We were newly weds...moving to our first station, they came to my parent's house and boxed everything..and took it to our new apartment, 6 hours away. When it got there...and we started unpacking...one of my husband's boxes were missing. Not just any box, though, the one that contained his collection of football cards. He thought he had put them in our car because they were VERY valuable, money wise and sentiment wise. He had been collecting them his whole life, and did not grow up in the best of circumstances..so, they were something he was proud of and meant alot to him. POOF! Gone. And this was a company sent there by the Air Force. We got $2,000 for the contents of the box, but, hubby says that stuff was worth more than that. It's like they get a freepass to rob people blind. And what they don't rip off, they break. MOre stories? I'm military, I got a ton....
                                        * A person I know moved from England, everything she had was broken. Dishes, brand new furniture...almost everything.

*Someone a friend knew moved to another country and the guys packed THEIR CAT!!! Not kidding. The cat was on the sofa, and the guys packed the cat. The owners thought he had come up missing, ran out the door or something...they had to give up and move. When they got to the new house, and unpacked the sofa...there was the cat, he had been eating the stuffing from the couch to stay alive. Sad.

*my parents...they had just finished breakfast when the moving guys showed up..they packed everything and were on their way, after getting to their new station..they started unpacking, and the moving guys had wrapped and packed their unfinished breakfast!!! There was a dry, crusty biscuit and gross little sasauge. Yum.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X