X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling by train

Hello Gang!

I've always wanted to travel on Amtrak. I will probably get my chance. I need to head out to Washington State really soon to visit with my Grandpa who is ill with cancer and has only a few months left. I am going to do part of this trip via bus since I enjoyed my Greyhound experience last week but will also do a leg of the trip by train. Has anyone traveled by Amtrak before. And if so did you enjoy it. Also how comfortable are the seats and is it worth the extra money getting a room?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by aashee
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Re: Traveling by train

I've never traveled anywhere by train myself, but I've always thought it would be a great adventure!! It will be interesting to see if anyone else has any experiences with this!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

I wanted to travel by train to Disneyland the first time. I flew instead.
      BarbaraAnn

Comment

I love taking the train, it's a lot of fun. My mom went from Seattle to Montana, and said getting the room was a great thing. Said she wouldn't have made it without it.

Comment

well, I traveled Amtrak from Baton Rouge to Ft Lauderdale, fl....when I was like, 4. So, sorry, can't help ya. Don't remember anything. My mom tells me I had fun...and that it was nice....but, then, that was 22 years ago. I would LOVE to travel by train through the West though. Never been out that way. I love to travel by car....I like to see stuff. Planes don't give ya that luxury...all ya see is clouds. Big deal, I can go lay out on the grass in my backyard and see that. I wanna see something new. Train travel would be great, all the views...none of the driving.

Comment

I love traveling by train and have always wished we had better rail service in the U.S. after traveling on European and British trains for the past 40 years.

My experiences with Amtrak have only been in California and the major complaint is connections and the time it takes plus their notoriously bad record of arrival and departure times.

The northern route that sounds like the one you will be taking is supposed to be one of the most spectacular scenic routes in the country. It travels through remote and unspoiled areas.

I've taken the Coast Starlight from LA north to Oakland and have eaten in the dining car several times. This has always been a wonderful experience. You sit with other passengers at tables for four, there are white linen tablecloths, the food very good and prices are reasonable, and you have terrific waiters, some who have been working the dining cars for many years.

The sleeping compartments are comfortable according to friends and passengers I've talked with but the rates are expensive and comparable to hotel prices.

Check out AmTrak's website. They have a lot of information and pricing available on there.
            "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Also is it as difficult to move while the train is in motion as it is when a bus is in motion?
              Originally posted by aashee
              We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

No way, you can move around freely!

Comment

It always baffles me at the lack of train infrastructure in the US. I suppose because its easier for everywhere to be connected in the UK because its a lot smaller, it always weirds me out, but surely it can't be that hard to link all the major cities etc? If I'm going anywhere in the UK which is longer then an hour in the car, I'll probably take the train. I've only gone to London in the car once, and that's two and a half hours.
                  BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                  October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                  October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                  July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                  July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                  July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                  February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                  February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                  TRIP REPORTS

Comment

I've traveled many times on Amtrack and other rail carriers (long history of railroad employees!). It is truly an enjoyable and very relaxing way to travel.
                    I love the sleeping cars. They are truly a god send if you are going to be on the train for an extended period of time. They give you privacy and a comfortable place to sleep.

I hope this works for you! It is quite pricey but truly a wondeful experience.

Comment

The "sleeper" is expensive but worth it. Do you really want to sleep in your seat?
                      sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

I vastly prefer train travel to Greyhound. Trains, in my experience, are more comfortable and less crowded. And you can move about much more freely than on a bus.

eta: We actually named our cat Amtrak. Off-topic, but fun.
                        They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

Comment

Ah, talk to DisneyJones

I would love to. Someday! A trian ride up and down the coast would be great!
                          Good morning, son
                          In twenty years from now
                          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                          And I can tell you 'bout today
                          And how I picked you up and everything changed
                          It was pain
                          Sunny days and rain
                          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Love the train!!! now the bus, some times those can be less then desirable ( I sat next to a farkling man who was also very drunk on my first tirp to oceanside 36 years ago :lol:

Comment

"farkling?"...what's that. A pet dog with a hairlip?
                              "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X