This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottsdale, AZ

I'm in college so I don't live at home anymore, so this isn't really effecting me direcly but my father's boss wants to relocate him to Scottsdale to head up a new division of the company. So I was wondering if anyone had any information about the city itself.
    sigpic

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

Re: Scottsdale, AZ

I am from Arizona and we call it "snottsdale" or "snobsdale". Its a very upscale suburb of Phoenix. Its actually a great place to live with lots of stuff to do. I just hope they are paying him well because it is very expensive to live there.

They have a Sephora!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

I've never lived in Scottsdale, but have traveled there on business for many years, and have friends that live there. I loved the Scottsdale Princess! (now a different name)

I really enjoyed my stays there. Great sights to see and steak-houses to eat at!

While in a super-shuttle type van which was taking me to the Princess, we were stopped at a red light. I heard something on the guys dispatch radio, and then I saw the driver look into his mirror. He then shouted, "oh sh**!!!" I turned around and saw a wall of sand coming right towards us! The driver then shouted "monsoon"! I guess some sort of sand storm. The light turned green and we were able to avoid the sand. It was something to talk about for the rest of that trip!

I never had any problems there, and the residents seemed very nice. Our friends have no complaints.

It does get hot though!

Best of luck!

Comment

Monsoon season is something that used to happen every summer- lots of rain and thunder/lightening in the afternoons accompanied by huge dust storms. However, since the city os so large, the heat held in by the steel and concrete tends to dissapate large storms like that before they get to the metropolitan areas.

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

Comment

I'm hoping that they don't move. It just seems like his boss is really set on sending him there that he even wants to fly him out there to see the city. Of course my mom is dead set on not going but it just got me curious about what the city was like.
          sigpic

Welcome to my blog!
          A Photographed Life

Comment

Originally posted by dramaqueen View Post
            I am from Arizona and we call it "snottsdale" or "snobsdale". Its a very upscale suburb of Phoenix. Its actually a great place to live with lots of stuff to do. I just hope they are paying him well because it is very expensive to live there.

They have a Sephora!
            It's been at least 15 years since I've heard anyone refer to Scottsdale as "Snottsdale". I've lived in Northeast Phoenix, which borders North Scottsdale.

1st things 1st, among the most important, it's less than a one hour flight from Sky Harbor, (isn't that the coolest name for any airport!) which is the Metro Phoenix Airport, to John Wayne or LAX. It's also about a 5 1/2 hour to 6 hour drive to Disneyland. Ok, that's pretty much the most important info about Scottsdale. tee hee hee.

Scottsdale is a long narrow city, about 2 or 3 miles wide by 15 miles. Bordered by Phoenix, on the west, and Tempe (home of ASU) on the southeast. The entire population in "the Valley of the Sun" is over 2 million, and one of the fastest growing areas of the country.

Weather, mostly dry and 99% sunny. Absolutely beautiful from mid October to April. Then brace yourself for the 100º plus temps. Seldom
            does it go below 90º during June, July, August. Around 5" of rain a year,
            with most of the rain coming in just a couple of storms (usually a couple of storms in July and August, and some rain in December or January. There is no soil, just rock, so the water just runs right off, causing water to be seen in the normally dry rivers. The storms can cause flash floods, flood underpasses and other lower areas, during the storms. Storms normally start brewing up during July and August in the late afternoon, and can come from the north or from the southeast. Quite often they are are preceeded by a huge red cloud (a dust storm) then it start raining like crazy. Sometimes hail (but not common) during the winter months, we might be lucky enough to get snow to fall - perhaps once every 6 or 7 years. Then the snow might stay on the McDowell Mts. which border on the east side of Scottsdale.

Shopping ~ the Scottdale Galleria, on Scottsdale Rd and Camelback Rd. and Old Town Scottsdale, just to the South of that. Many upscale stores and restaurants, in this part of south Scottsdale. In north Scottsdale, the outdoor shopping area at Keirland Commons has become real popular.

Of course there are several resorts throughout Scottsdale, and numerous Golf courses. The TPC in North Scottsdale hosts one of the major golf events on Superbowl Sunday.
            Other sportsclubs, the World Championship Arizona Diamondback Baseball team play in Downtown Phoenix. The Phoenix Suns Basketball team have their own arena right next to the baseball stadium. And 2 Brand new arenas have just opened in the west valley. The Arizona Cardinals Football team now have their own arena in Glendale. and the Phoenix Coyotes Hockey Team have a brand new arena in Glendale, near the football stadium. Phoenix also has a womens professional basketball team.

Phoenix does get it fair share of concerts too. Not like LA, of course, but still good portion
            stop here. (note, Cher's farewell concert only stopped here on 3 separate occassions) Phoenix does have its own performing arts center in Downtown Phoenix. At ASU, the Gammage Theater does host several of the Broadway Traveling Shows. Just north of
            Scottsdale, the City of Carefree is unique beautiful city, sometimes hosts Jazz festivals.
            a little further north of Phoenix, Sedona Arizona is know for some of the most beautiful scenery the the US. It a very artsy town, too.

There are many hiking trails throughout Scottsdale and Phoenix. Has to be one of the highest per ratio of swimming pools, but unless it's heated , you probably wouldn't use it in the winter. There are a couple of larger waterparks that are open during the summer.

You can get burned outside rather quickly, make sure you have sunscreen, sunglasses, and Drink PLENTY of Water when temps are above 90. You really don't realize how much water you loose, because your sweat evaporates, before you realize your sweating.

This is actually a good time to move to AZ, the temps are staring to come down. and
            we've probably seen the last of the 110 for this year. When it does get too hot, you just go see a movie, shop, and stay inside. Evenings are wonderful.
            Last edited by Aladdin; 09-20-2006, 10:43 PM.
            Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
            An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
            Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
            Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

I'm from Mesa, we still call it Snottsdale Of course 15 years ago Mesa was pretty much hickville!

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

Comment

If all goes as planned, we'll be visiting Scottsdale in early November.

Comment

I live in Phoenix but I visit Scottsdale all the time. I agree with Aladdin, it's a great time to move here it's starting to get cooler.

I a native so I have nothing but good things to say about Arizona.

Scottsdale is known as the "hip" area for young people to go and party and hang out but that is only if you want to get involved in that sort of thing. I don't like to party in Scottsdale, it can be seen as "snobby" but it all depends on where you go. I prefer Tempe to go and hang out and drink but the shopping and places to eat are wonderful in Scottsdale.

Comment

I used to live in Tempe, just south of Scottsdale. It's a nice place, it's not far from Downtown Phoenix and better yet downtown Tempe. Scottsdale is considered "hip" and "snobby' by many people there. It's a beautiful area, Scottsdale Fashion Square mall is nice, old town scottsdale is a fun little area as well with shops and restaurants.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Comment

I spent so much of my youth in Scottsdale because my relatives lived there. 2 of my cousins still do but they are hardly in any snotty area thats for sure.

I love Old Town Scottsdale. Its a great area to walk around. Plus thats where The Sugar Bowl is. I LOVE The Sugar Bowl. Its this super cute old fashioned ice cream parlor that was owned by Bil Keane, of Family Circus fame. Dunno if it is anymore.

Scottsdale Community College - home of the Artichokes! :lmao:

Zorbas. It's a durty store :evil: I'm just sayin'...

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the information. One of my friends referred to it as the Beverly Hills of Arizona and it doesn't really seem like a far off statement.
                        sigpic

Welcome to my blog!
                        A Photographed Life

Comment

I lived in Mesa with DQ, since I'm her sister and all. We still call it Snottsdale, and that's only because Mesa is full of huge families who could never afford that end of town anyways.

I liked Arizona in the winter, and it's amazing in the fall.

Scottsdale is really nice, and even though it is a little more expensive, it's worth it.

Comment

A couple of things I didn't mention. Property values have gone
                            up substantially in just the past two years throughout the whole
                            valley. It wasn't uncommon for property values to increase nearly
                            100k on new home sales from the time of purchase, until the time
                            it was ready to move in. Existing Home sales were very quick,
                            (less than 15 days was common).

Prior to that, property value had been real stable. This year,
                            since mtg rates have gone up, selling times on homes have increased
                            and values have leveled off again. Overall, property values are still well below what they are in California. Also the cost of living in Arizona is also lower than in California.
                            Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                            An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                            Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                            Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

The Beverly Hills of Arizona? I thought that was Paradise Valley!

Yes, Scottsdale has expensive areas, but it also has average areas in comparison with the rest of the Phoenix metro area. I live in the Southern area of Scottsdale and I don't consider my apartment expensive (and I'm far from wealthy). Also, keep in mind that just because your father would be working in Scottsdale doesn't mean he has to live there. There are plenty of affordable areas in easy commuting distance.

Onut, all the places you mentioned are within a couple of miles of my apt. Yes the Sugar Bowl is still there. I haven't been in there since I was a kid. And it's the Fighting Artichokes!
                              Sarchasm- The gulf between the person using sarcasm and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

I just learned that I'll be able to get an In-N-Out burger fix while I'm in Scottsdale ... Yipee! :yea:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X