X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gunman Takes Hostages in High School in Colorado - CNN.com

Originally posted by SusieP. View Post
    2 female hostages, one believed to be the wife of the gunman! What? The other is thought to be a student at this time.

If his wife is there, is it possible that it could be his daughter or something?
    Its a possibility, but it could just be a random student.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Another update:

Two schools were evacuated Wednesday after a gunman claiming to have a bomb opened fire and took hostages at a high school near Bailey, Colorado, officials said.
      One hostage, a young girl, was released, but the gunman was still holding four others Wednesday afternoon, said Lance Clem, spokesman for the Colorado Public Safety Department. The Colorado State Patrol is assisting, Clem said.
      Several shots were fired at the school, and the gunman is inside, said Jefferson County Sheriff's spokeswoman Jackie Kelley.
      She had no information on injuries, but said a bomb squad and SWAT team had been dispatched to the scene.
      The Park County Sheriff's office would not provide further details, but said it is dealing with a hostage situation.
      The lack of information from police and the school system was concerning parents who have children at the school, according to the Denver Post.
      "We've had no phone calls from the district. We don't know what's going on," said Pat Bramelette, who has two children, one attending the high school, one in middle school.
      His wife, Susan, told the newspaper, "The most I got was off the bottom of the TV screen."
      Sally Impson told the Denver Post that she hopes her 17-year-old son, Andrew, will find a way to contact her, although his cell phone doesn't work in the school and the road to the school is shut down.
      "I'm so shook," she said. "It's just scary. You don't know what's going on. You hear shots are fired. I hope to God that everything is OK."
      The 450 students at Platte Canyon High School and the 340 youngsters at the adjacent Fitzsimmons Middle School were evacuated, officials said.
      The students were evacuated to a safe place about 12:10 p.m. (2:10 p.m. ET), the Park County School District superintendent's office said.
      Growing older is manditory
      Growing up is however, optional

Comment

another update:

Two schools were evacuated Wednesday after a gunman claiming to have a bomb opened fire and took hostages at a high school near Bailey, Colorado, officials said.
        Several shots were fired at the school, and the gunman is inside, Jefferson County sheriff's spokeswoman Jacki Kelley said.
        The gunman was holding two hostagesin a second-floor classroom, said Kelley. Six hostages were initially taken, but four of them were released, she said.
        The gunman told police he had a bomb, said Lance Clem, spokesman for the Colorado Public Safety Department.
        Kelley said she did not know if the hostages were students, teachers or both. However, both are female, she said. (Watch a newspaper editor explain how the gunman fired after a teacher defied him -- 3:39 )
        "We have almost no information on the suspect, almost nothing," Kelley told reporters. "We don't know who he is. We don't know what he wants."
        There were no injuries reported, she said.
        A bomb squad, SWAT team and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives had been dispatched to the scene, Kelley said.
        Negotiations with the gunman were ongoing but "sporadic," Kelley said. She added later that negotiators had spoken to the gunman from a hallway and via telephone, but police were trying to establish a "more reliable means of communication."
        The Park County Sheriff's office would not provide further details, but said it is dealing with a hostage situation. Bailey is located in Park County, and Jefferson County authorities are assisting in the investigation.
        The lack of information from police and the school system was concerning parents who have children at the school, according to the Denver Post.
        "We've had no phone calls from the district. We don't know what's going on," said Pat Bramelette, who has two children, one attending the high school, one in middle school.
        His wife, Susan, told the newspaper, "The most I got was off the bottom of the TV screen."
        Sally Impson told the Denver Post that she hopes her 17-year-old son, Andrew, will find a way to contact her, although his cell phone doesn't work in the school and the road to the school is shut down.
        "I'm so shook," she said. "It's just scary. You don't know what's going on. You hear shots are fired. I hope to God that everything is OK."
        The 450 students at Platte Canyon High School and the 340 youngsters at the adjacent Fitzsimmons Middle School were evacuated, officials said. (Watch students board a bus to safety -- 1:11 )
        The students were evacuated to a safe place about 12:10 p.m. (2:10 p.m. ET), the Park County School District superintendent's office said.
        Bailey is about 45 miles southwest of Denver. It also lies about 40 miles southwest of Littleton, Colorado, which is where two students killed 13 people at Columbine High School in 1999.

Comment

Just came over my news alerts: Situation over, Gunman in custody with one of the hostages injured.

Thank goodness it wasn't any worse.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod View Post
            Just came over my news alerts: Situation over, Gunman in custody with one of the hostages injured.

Thank goodness it wasn't any worse.
            I'll be interested to hear what the back story on this lunatic is.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
            Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

Actually it appears the gunman is dead.

A gunman opened fire and took hostages at a high school in Bailey, Colorado, before authorities stormed the school, CNN affiliate KUSA reported.
              The station said the gunman is dead.
              Video from the scene showed one person being brought out of the school on a stretcher and taken to an ambulance, which brought the person to a medical helicopter that landed on the school's football field.
              The gunman had been holding two hostagesin a second-floor classroom, Jefferson County sheriff's spokeswoman Jacki Kelley said earlier Wednesday. Six hostages were initially taken, but four of them were released, she said.
              Previously, Lance Clem, spokesman for the Colorado Public Safety Department, said the gunman said he had a bomb.
              Kelley said there was one "suspicious device" or the discussion of one, and said that was why the bomb squad was on scene.
              She said both hostages were female students, while a law enforcement source close to the investigation told law enforcement analyst Mike Brooks that one of the two hostages may have been the wife of the gunman. Kelley said she did not know the students' ages or grades, and said their parents had not been notified. (Watch a newspaper editor explain how the gunman fired after a teacher defied him -- 3:39 )
              "We have almost no information on the suspect, almost nothing," Kelley told reporters. "We don't know who he is. We don't know what he wants."
              There were no injuries reported, she said.
              A bomb squad, SWAT team and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives had been dispatched to the scene, Kelley said.
              Negotiations with the gunman were "sporadic," Kelley said. She added later that negotiators had spoken to the gunman from a hallway and via telephone, but police were trying to establish a "more reliable means of communication."
              The Park County Sheriff's office would not provide further details. Bailey is in Park County, and Jefferson County authorities are assisting in the investigation.
              The 450 students at Platte Canyon High School and the 340 youngsters at the adjacent Fitzsimmons Middle School were evacuated, officials said. (Watch students board a bus to safety -- 1:11 )
              Bailey is about 45 miles southwest of Denver. It also lies about 40 miles southwest of Littleton, Colorado, which is where two students killed 13 people at Columbine High School in 1999.

Comment

From ABC News:

BAILEY, Colo. Sep 27, 2006 (AP)— A middle-aged gunman walked into the high school in this mountain town Wednesday, fired at least two shots and took six people hostage before the situation ended with his death, authorities said.

Lance Clem, spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety, said the gunman was dead, but had no immediate details on his death. He also did not know the condition of two young girls who were being held hostage after the other hostages were released from Platte Canyon High School.

Jacki Kelley, spokeswoman for the Jefferson County sheriff, declined to release details pending a formal news conference.

Comment

My goodness what the hell is this world comming to?
                  :thumbup: I'm back MiceChat:yea:

Comment

Was this a student gunman?

Comment

Originally posted by barfownz View Post
                      Was this a student gunman?
                      Read Hyper's post. The guy was middle aged.

Comment

Here's the aftermath and why they think he did it...

The gunman who killed himself after fatally shooting one of six girls he held in a high school classroom methodically selected his hostages and had sexually assaulted some of them, the sheriff and a witness said Thursday.

"He did traumatize and assault our children," Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener said. "I'll only say that it's sexual in nature."

Wegener identified the suspect as Duane R. Morrison, 53, and said was he from the Denver area but had been living in his car. He said investigators had not established any previous connection between him and the hostages.

State records showed he was arrested in July in the west Denver suburb of Lakewood on a charge of obstructing police in another suburb. He was also arrested for larceny and marijuana possession in 1973.

Reached at their home in Tulsa, Okla., Morrison's stepmother said she and her husband, Bob Morrison, "have no record of him being, having any trouble before."

"We just know the way he was raised," Billie Morrison said, declining to elaborate. She said the last time she saw him was three to four years ago.

Authorities said Morrison had let four of the hostages go before a SWAT team stormed the Platte Canyon High School classroom where he had been cornered Wednesday.

The gunman fatally wounded one of the girls and killed himself as the deputies charged in. The other girl escaped.

The victim was identified by acquaintances and a co-worker as 16-year-old Emily Keyes, shown in a yearbook photo as a smiling blonde who played volleyball and was on the high school debate team.

She was pronounced dead at a Denver hospital after Wednesday's standoff, which reminded many people of the 1999 massacre at Columbine High, less than an hour's drive away.

"This is something that has changed my school, changed my community," said Wegener, a 36-year resident of Bailey. "My small county's gone."

Wegener said Morrison made few demands. "Most of the demands were, 'Leave me alone, get out of here,'" he said.

Asked about his decision to storm the classroom, Wegener said:

"Being a sheriff in a small community, knowing all the parents, knowing the kids — my daughter graduated last year, my son's a junior here — it is very difficult. Because I'd want whoever was in my position to do the same thing. And that is to save lives," he said.

Morrison began the takeover by ordering students to line up at the chalk board as he tapped each with his gun and told them to stay or go, a student in the classroom said.

Cassidy Grigg, 16, said the man walked in, fired a warning shot at the floor and ordered the students to line up. He told some to leave and others — all girls — to stay.

"You could tell that he wanted the females," Cassidy said on NBC's "Today" Thursday. "He tapped me on the shoulder and he told me to leave the room. I told him, 'I don't want to leave.'"

"He told me that if I didn't go then he would pretty much kill me," Cassidy told ABC's "Good Morning America." He said he wanted to stay "because I'm sure the girls would have felt more support if there would have been some males in the class with them."

No one recognized the man, who seemed to be dressed as a student, Cassidy said.

"He was just an old guy who came on a mission, and I think he got what he wanted," he told "Today."

"We are a community in mourning," schools superintendent Jim Walpole said. "Our thoughts, our prayers are with our students, staff and their families. Especially the family of the student we lost."

Residents gathered quietly Thursday morning at the Cutthroat Cafe, where Keyes had been a waitress for about two years, to grieve and remember, said Bobbi Sterling, a waitress and cook there.

"It's very sad here. You know, the family lost their daughter but as a community, we lost a child," she said. "We're just sitting here, numb and in shock. We're all just kind of stunned. People are here for mutual support."

Wegener was at a loss to explain a motive.

"I don't know why he wanted to do this," Wegener said, his voice breaking.

The gunman claimed he had explosives in a backpack and was wielding a handgun, authorities said. He released four hostages one by one, then abruptly cut off communication with authorities and set a deadline that forced authorities to act.

He said authorities used explosives as they entered the classroom, only to have the suspect fire at officers, shoot one of the girls and then himself.

School was canceled for the rest of the week at the high school and the adjoining middle school in this tiny mountain town.

The lines of students fleeing the schools, the bomb squads and the frantic parents scrambling to find their loved ones evoked memories of the Columbine attack, where two students killed 13 people before taking their own lives.

Michael Owens, who has one son at the middle school and another in the high school, said the anxiety was worse because the memory of Columbine was still fresh.

"Things that are out of your control, you just do what you can do," he said. "It's like an earthquake."

Comment

I saw an interview with that boy, Cassidy Grigg, on GMA this morning. What a brave, brave kid. He argued with the gunman, flat-out refused to leave the girls alone with that lunatic. He knew something horrible would happen if they were left alone. Only after the gunman threatened to kill him and put the gun to Cassidy's head did he finally leave. He struck me as an amazing person. I'd be very proud if he were my son.

Comment

I'll first say that I support the decision to send SWAT into the school with that situation. But what's bothering me is how the raid went down and ended tragically? Granted, we don't have all the details. Was he holding the hostages in a large room, or what? But from what I know about SWAT teams, the whole method of getting hostages out safely is surprise. Blow the doors open, or toss in a flashbang. In those few seconds where the gunman is stunned, either take the suspect down and arrest him or if there's an immediate threat to the safety of either the officers or hostages, kill him.

I don't understand how, in the middle of the raid, the gunman was able to shoot a hostage and then shoot himself before SWAT was able to react. I just hope the SWAT team didn't mess up somehow and cause the death of the hostage.

Comment

Gosh- what a mess rumor and speculation cause. I thought it was bad out here-

Trust me- we are all reeling out here- and sad and miserable and unhappy about this. It's been a topic of conversation here at my office.

My kids used to go to camp outside of Bailey (for those who forget that I live in CO)-and I have teenagers- so this is terrifying.

The poor girl- I was doing laundry last night when they announced she had died earlier that afternoon- I was in tears for a great deal of the afternoon and feel like an emotional pinata- and I don't even know them. Imagine how bad it is for the family and the people in that town.

This was NOT school violence- this was a crazed lunatic and should not be lumped with Columbine as an indictment against CO schools- they did a great job getting people out of the school.

...and frankly I am glad the POS is dead and I hope he rots.

No, I'm not sorry for that.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X