X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Want to tour a real haunted house?

Originally posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    We've worked with them 3 times now and thats 3 times too many. The last time we we worked with them we went to LA and did a seance near Valentino's grave. They tried to hoax a haunting and we called them on it. They haven't asked us to do anything with them since then.
    Really? I like watching that.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Wow how can you do this stuff Oogie. I jump any time I see ghost hunting shows.
      Originally posted by aashee (Farter Extraordinair)
      Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

Comment

Btw... This is off the Santa Clara County Parks website.

Friday, October 13 and Saturday, October 14
        Haunted Ranch House Tours at Grant County Park 8pm – 12pm
        – Join park staff and Ghost Trackers for a special moonlight tour of the historic Grant mansion. Explore Ranch House history and how its supernatural occurrences are tracked. Tours are by reservation only, call (408) 274-6121 for times and information. $5 vehicle fee to enter park.

Some History regarding the park and the ranch:

Joseph D. Grant County Park Natural Diversity
        Grant Park is located at the base of Mt. Hamilton. The major feature of the park, the Halls Valley is suspended between two ridges in the Diablo Range of the Coastal Mountains. The park's terrain was formed by earth movement along the still active Calaveras Fault.
        The oak-woodland community at Grant Park is typical of California. Oak trees provide breeding habitat and food for over 32 species of birds and 39 species of mammals. This habitat is so unique and important to wildlife that its protection is essential. The oak community includes such species as the Blue, Black, Live, and Valley Oaks.
        At one time, Grant Park was the location of a successful wildlife management plan designed to re-establish the threatened Tule Elk population. Although most of the herds have now migrated out of the park, Grant was selected because of its wildlife sanctuary status and ideal habitat.
        Visitors may see European wild pigs in some areas in the park. These pigs have cross-bred with domestic pigs. The pigs eat acorns and grass roots, therefore, they have to "root" for their food.
        Spring is one of the best times to view the flora and fauna at Grant Park. The wildflowers are blooming, the water is flowing, and the grass on the hills dance in the wind.
        For more information on Joseph D. Grant County Park, click here.
        Cultural History
        The land that is now Grant Park was first inhabited by Werwersen Ohlone Indians.
        "...the glory of our parklands is
        too precious to be sacrificed...
        Steps must be taken to protect our
        dearly won recreation lands..."
        From "Redwoods and Reminiscences"
        by J.D. GrantIn 1839, a 15,000-acre Mexican Land Grant was awarded to Jose de Jesus Bernal and was named Rancho Canada de Pala. Jose de Jesus and his two brothers built adobes around a spring-fed pond on a ridge overlooking the Santa Clara Valley. They pastured cattle and horses on this land. Bernal's uncle, Joaquin Bernal, occupied the nearby Rancho Santa Teresa.
        In 1848, the southern third of the rancho was sold to Samuel Q. Broughton for $600. Broughton was a native of Kentucky who had served under Col. John C. Fremont. Over the years, other parts of the Rancho were also sold or deeded. When the Federal Land Act of 1851 required landowners to file land claims, Jose Bernal paid his attorney, Frederic Hall, with land for processing his claims. The "Halls Valley" area which encompasses most of the present day park, represents this payment. Other early purchasers included members of the Donner Party.
        Adam Grant, the father of J.D. Grant, bought his initial holding of Canada de Pala in 1880. Adam Grant was a founder of Murphy, Grant, & Company, a dry goods store which sold supplies to gold miners.

Grant changed the name of Bernal Lagoon to Grant Lake, built dams and diverted streams. He remodeled the original house which was built in 1882, and added a cookhouse, servants quarters, other houses and buildings, a rose garden and a large aviary to the property.
        J.D. also used his influence to have Mount Hamilton Road moved one-half mile northeast of his home so it would not interfere with his privacy. Entertainments on the ranch included swimming in the pool and horseback riding through the rambling hills.
        In addition to managing his father's dry goods business, J. D. Grant founded the Columbia Steam Company, served as President of the California-Oregon Power Company, and served on the Board of Directors of the General Petroleum Company and the Central Pacific Railroad.
        Grant owned mansions in San Francisco, Burlingame, and Pebble Beach. He was a member of the Bohemian Club and was a life trustee of Stanford University. Grant also belonged to the Sierra Club, and was president of the Save-the-Redwoods League for 21 years.
        When Joseph D. Grant stayed at his ranch, he entertained guests such as Leland Stanford and Herbert Hoover. Hoover stayed at the ranch for a month after his election loss to Franklin Roosevelt.
        Joseph D. Grant died in 1942, and was followed in death by his wife, Edith, in 1946. After her parents' death, their daughter, Josephine, purchased shares in the ranch from her two siblings and became sole owner of the property. Josephine became a full time resident of the ranch in 1958 and remained at the ranch until her death in 1972.
        Josephine Grant's will deeded half of the ranch property to the Save-the-Redwoods League and the other half to the Menninger Foundation. The property was purchased by Santa Clara County in 1975 to be preserved as a park. In 1978, Joseph D. Grant County Park, named after the man and his family who had owned the property for nearly 100 years, opened to the public.

What they neglect to mention in the article though is that Josephine was a murderess with at least 10 known murders to her name. She was never convicted because her family had money and land. It's also rumored that she killed her mother and daughter.
        Growing older is manditory
        Growing up is however, optional

Comment

Sounds cool, let us know how it turns out!

Comment

Originally posted by I_luv_Disney View Post
            Wow how can you do this stuff Oogie. I jump any time I see ghost hunting shows.
            I've been doing this for over 10 years now and I've just kinda become used to unexplained things happening.

Comment

Im not sure if anyone asked ...

But how did you get in to this
              Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

Comment

Clap your hands if you believe in Oogie.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I LOVE ghost tours. I went on one in New Orleans' French Quarter several years ago. We didn't see or hear anything strange, but the stories were fascinating. So much tragedy and violent death. :evil:

Your tour sounds like fun OB. Wish I could be there.
                Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by disneytim View Post
                  Clap your hands if you believe in Oogie.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I LOVE ghost tours. I went on one in New Orleans' French Quarter several years ago. We didn't see or hear anything strange, but the stories were fascinating. So much tragedy and violent death. :evil:

Your tour sounds like fun OB. Wish I could be there.
                  :clap: :clap: :clap::clap: :clap: :clap::clap: :clap: :clap::clap: :clap: :clap:
                  "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

:clap:

Comment

Originally posted by I_luv_Disney View Post
                      Im not sure if anyone asked ...

But how did you get in to this
                      I started doing it by myself, investigating a local folklore story about 'the ghost of Niles Canyon' in Fremont. After that I joined up with a group called International Ghost Hunter Society and did some stuff with them and got some basic training. After that I joined up with another group called AGS (American Ghost Society). They didn't really do anything out here in the West Coast, but the materials and training they provided really helped. If anyone is interested in doing this, the things I can recommend are to keep an open yet skeptical mind, know your tools and equipment, research before going somewhere, and never go out alone.

Comment

Very cool. I wish I lived closer and could at least attend and observe - sounds interesting! And instead of calling "B.S.", wouldn't it be better to observe the phenomenon, and then come up with ALL the possible explanations, instead of just closing your mind ahead of time?

Comment

Originally posted by Frogberto View Post
                          Very cool. I wish I lived closer and could at least attend and observe - sounds interesting! And instead of calling "B.S.", wouldn't it be better to observe the phenomenon, and then come up with ALL the possible explanations, instead of just closing your mind ahead of time?
                          I agree. I thought it was inappropriate to call Oogies experience B.S.

Comment

My sister wanted to sign us up for those haunted shows. To see
                            if there was any paranormal stuff. I thought she was nuts only because
                            I wouldnt be able to the part where you had to stay in the room alone.

Nope not me.. I would probably need an Army.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
                              I agree. I thought it was inappropriate to call Oogies experience B.S.
                              Agreed, which is why I kinda sorta called him out on it.

Comment

nawww...not winchester.....the first one is your best spooky bet :-)

Comment

I would *so* love to do this but I know I won't be able to drive up to San Jose. ::sniffle:: Ever get down to LA???
                                  I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Originally posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
                                    I would *so* love to do this but I know I won't be able to drive up to San Jose. ::sniffle:: Ever get down to LA???
                                    Not as often as I'd like to.

Comment

I think it sounds awesome!!!! I'd love to do something like that, but i'd be freaked at the same time. I love to watch it on tv and read a good ghost story from time to time.
                                      Let us know how it goes, i'd love to hear more!!

I know every year around this time, on the school website they post the haunted happenings of the past. We are a very old school, "Miami was a college when Florida still belonged to Spain", and I know some of the stories and they are creepy.
                                      Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

This sounds like an awesome road trip for next year. :clap:
                                        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by OogieBoogie View Post
                                          We've worked with them 3 times now and thats 3 times too many. The last time we we worked with them we went to LA and did a seance near Valentino's grave. They tried to hoax a haunting and we called them on it. They haven't asked us to do anything with them since then.

So is all their stuff fake?????? I tripped out on their Queen Mary special.
                                          I'm down in Shoreline by the Queen Mary all the time since I live so close but I haven't been on the ghost tour yet.
                                          Have you worked on the Queen Mary at all? What about the little town Bodie up my Mammoth mountain???

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X