X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Ain't Easy For A Boy Named ESPN

It has happened again.

Last week. In Mississippi.

I know that Disney is always looking to build "brand awareness" for its various holdings...but this is, once again, ridiculous.

It's a safe bet that whether or not young ESPN Montana Real of D'Iberville grows into a rabid sports fan like his dad, he'll at least make it to first base with Real's coaching.
    ESPN Montana Real, born on Monday at Biloxi Regional, is the first son of Rusty and Leann Real.
    Somewhere along the line, Leann promised her hubby if they ever had a son, he could pick the name.
    He chose ESPN (pronounced Espen) after the sports network and Montana after football legend Joe Montana.
    Theirs is not the country's first child named ESPN, either.
    Three others were cited in a 2005 Web story at tivocommunity.com, about the network's 25th anniversary. They are Espn Malachi McCall in Pampa, Texas; Espn Curiel in Corpus Christi, Texas; and Espn Blondeel in Michigan.
    At Biloxi Regional, Rusty said, "We were the talk of the hospital. The nurses kept asking my wife if she was really going to let her husband name him ESPN. She said, 'Oh, yes.'
    sunherald.com

I love ESPN. But to paraphrase the late Johnny Cash...

If I ever have a son, I think I'll name him....
    Bill, or George, anything but ESPN! I hate that awful name...

--Barry

PS...Talk about a boy's name that says kick me, beat me, take my lunch money..."Espen"???
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Life Ain't Easy For A Boy Named ESPN

Chances are, if they find out his middle name is Montana, they just might end up calling him "Joe".
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
      Chances are, if they find out his middle name is Montana, they just might end up calling him "Joe".
      Even if they reversed the first two names, he might get by with Monte...

So now we have, just off the top of my head...

ESPN
      ESPN 2
      ESPN Classic
      ESPN News Network
      ESPN U (College Sports Network)
      ESPN Deportes
      ESPN International
      ESPN Radio
      ESPN The Magazine
      ESPN Zone Restaurants
      ESPN Club (at WDW)
      ESPN golf schools
      and now...
      ESPN...the babies!!!

--Barry
      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I was trying to be funny, but that's not my strong suit.

It is funny, how sometimes, the name that you are born with, is not the name that people call you.

I had a mother in law (now deceased) who was born Clarice, and they called her Sue. Her own son's name was Daniel, and she called him Charlie. My sister in law's name is Virginia, and she changed her name legally to Sissy. That's what she was called her entire life. In fact my own husband's name is Allen and he has been known to most of his friend's and family as Skeeter.

I am sure these little children all named ESPN, might come up with some of their own unique nicknames. How many children have been named after their dad's and have ended up being called C.J or R.J or Junior?
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
          I was trying to be funny, but that's not my strong suit.

I actually did get a chuckle out of it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X