This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake hits Hawaii

Magnitude 6.5 earthquake strikes Hawaii, waking up islanders and knocking out powerUpdated 10/15/2006 3:04 PM ETE-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Re: Earthquake hits Hawaii

My parents are on the Big Island right now. They were already awake when it hit and managed to get outside when it hit. They said it lasted for over a minute.

They, as well as hundreds of others, headed to higher ground right after the quake. It took them an hour to get through to my sister and I. The power is out and they said the hotel had some minor damage to it.

Hopefully this is all that happens with this. My parents don't fly back until Thursday.
    Infinity and Beyond:
    The technology of today is changing the media of tomorrow.
    http://www.infinityandbeyond.tabert.com/

Comment

Pele's at it again, eh?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

I'm hearing 6.2, 6.5 and 6.6...
        ????

Comment

Wow.... scary! I'm watching the news and I hope everyone is ok...
          ~~~:ap:~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket View Post
            I'm hearing 6.2, 6.5 and 6.6...
            ????

USGS says 6.6.... with it being so close to the Big Island, that level would cause a whole lot of shaking...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...kes/ustwbh.php

Hope everyone there is safe... My thoughts are with everyone in Hawaii.

http://wendymacblogs.blogspot.com

Comment

My brother just came home today from Hawaii and the earthquake happened just after he arrived back here, so he was very lucky, and my mom was pretty thankful.

Hope all from Hawaii are safe!!!
              Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

I have a cousin who lives in Kailua Kona hope he is well, mom said her sister can not get a hold of him and has been frantic all day.

Comment

I wish DizzydisneyDee would check in. *worry* *worry* *worry*

Prayers to all who are being affected by this.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

My friend is ok, just without power. Thankfully!!
                    Tha'ts just so crazy.
                    I did'nt know that Hawaii got earthquakes!
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

My thoughts and prayers to all of the wonderful people of the islands.

In tribute, I wanted to post a picture from my trip to the beautiful island of Kaua'i last January.

God be with the people on those beautiful islands right now.

--Barry
                      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

They finally cancelled all incoming flights to Oahu. I think my hubby is going to try and go on Wednesday (first available flight).
                        sigpic
                        Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

Checking in and all is okay.

It was scary at the time. We got woken up to it. At first most people thought it was their other half or kids shaking the bed trying to get people up and then the swaying came and well...we knew it wasn't. Power went out after about 20 minutes (generators have a seismic gauges and get automatically shut off). We continued to not have any electricity until 2:00pm local time. Some other areas of the island did not have electricity until 12:30am local time. Some to this morning still did not have electricity.

There has been no reports of any fatalities and no major injuries. The Big Island has been the hardest hit with the epicenter not far off the west coast. Some roads have been blocked with landslides, sinkholes and some houses are on the edge of now cliffs because of land falling into the ocean.

Things could have been way worse. Thank you all for the prayers and thoughts. Everyone seemed to have ridden it out pretty well. Scared and shaken but all in all okay.

I'll write more later. I'm trying to catch up on the news since we didn't have net access until 12:30 am local time.
                          :love: Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.:love:
                          --------------------------------------------------------
                          :ghug:Part of the Disney Ohana:ghug:

--------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Glad to hear youre okay
                            "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Well, two days later, and we finally have internet back up at work. Fortunately no fatalities, and from what I've heard, only minor injuries. Since the earthquake, our house has water leaking from an unknown location. The base housing guys are going to be taking a look at it today.

For my wife and I, it was the perfect storm. No power, it was raining all day, so we couldn't go to the beach or anything, and we had no gas, so we couldn't even go anywhere. I also found out that our house was one of the last on Oahu to get power (11 pm at night), so way to go Air Force on that situation.:thumbdown

The scariest thing was when it happened I was lying in bed and wondering if it was an earthquake, or maybe a LARGE volcanic eruption, or worse, North Korea decided that Hawaii didn't need to exist anymore.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X