X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pveticket
    replied
    Re: The Winds are Blowing...

I know seriously, its terrible. We are doing this AC cylcing thing so my mom won't let my turn on the ac
    Its like 85 up here and i cant sleep!

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wolfy
    replied

After the winds died around 1PM or so in the Anaheim area, we heated up to a beautiful 82 degrees. Clear, warm and beautiful Autumm weather. This evening is heavenly!

Leave a comment:

• PrincessY
    replied

Thank God the winds are finally blowing... blowing the smog out of the inland empire! I'll trade chapstick and hand lotion for weezing any day!

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

Originally posted by NemoZorro View Post
    Seems like we see smog earlier now when we drive to DL than we used to (coming from AZ).
    Yep. More people moving way out that way, driving their cars back and forth, slowing up traffic so trucks belch their pollution a lot longer than would otherwise. (My proposal: no tractor-trailers between 5AM and 8PM in the five-county area -- for SB and Riv only the heavily populated areas. Create these giant truck stops with motel rooms etc., and make them wait.)

If you come in at night, watch for the stars to slowly disappear. About 30 miles east of Palm Springs.

Leave a comment:

• clara
    replied

I remember when I was in High School, about 12 years ago we used to have alot of clear days and I lived right along the foothills. See the tops of the mountains was great.

Leave a comment:

• NemoZorro
    replied

Originally posted by pveticket View Post
    It definitley does help. I could see downtown LA from my house for the first time in a while. But the winds didn't really hit us here, its been a normal day
    We live about an hour out of Phoenix, and the sky is SOOO clear at night! I would really miss the stars......nice that you get a bit of a smog break, though....

Leave a comment:

• pveticket
    replied

Gotta find a way to break that wind.....

Not being a Californian, I have a silly question. Do the winds help to clean up the smog from L.A., or do they just redistribute it? Seems like we see smog earlier now when we drive to DL than we used to (coming from AZ).
    It definitley does help. I could see downtown LA from my house for the first time in a while. But the winds didn't really hit us here, its been a normal day

Leave a comment:

• sir clinksalot
    replied

To answer the smog question ... yes. The wind get's it the heck out of here and makes it beautiful.

On the negative side, it also kicks up all the dust, the leaves are flying everywhere and anybody who has the slightest allergy get's bad allergy attacks.

At the moment it's not blowing here ... but it sure was earlier.

Leave a comment:

• frecky
    replied

It is now chapped lip weather.

Leave a comment:

• Olympicnut
    replied

Wind headache in full force now

Lip moisture completely eliminated.

UGH!

Leave a comment:

• penguinsoda
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyFunGuy View Post
    I live in Anaheim, and when I woke up this morning at 5am, it was so calm, and cold. But when I left for lunch from work at 10am, it was BLOWIN' BIG TIME!!! Luckily, it doesn't seem to be a hot wind, but rather on the cool side, so that's nice.

I actually like it, cuz it'll blow all the smog out and show the stars more at night!
    You have stars in Anahiem??? Geeze when my daughter lived down there when I would go to visit I don't think I ever saw a single star in the sky!!! Helicopters yes.. stars no...

And I hate the wind.... it wasn't to bad here this morning but its picking up now. I think our wind should be calming down by early afternoon from what reports I heard though.

Leave a comment:

• Mac Daddy
    replied

Not being a Californian, I have a silly question. Do the winds help to clean up the smog from L.A., or do they just redistribute it? Seems like we see smog earlier now when we drive to DL than we used to (coming from AZ).

The Santa Anas blow the smog waaaaaaaay out over the ocean as they come from the east/northeast. I don't know how many of you saw the satellite photos of the huge fires we had a couple years ago, but the satellite showed the smoke from those three huge fires blowing....maybe all the way out to Hawaii. Ok...maybe not that far, but maybe a good 150 miles or so out to sea.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyFunGuy
    replied

I live in Anaheim, and when I woke up this morning at 5am, it was so calm, and cold. But when I left for lunch from work at 10am, it was BLOWIN' BIG TIME!!! Luckily, it doesn't seem to be a hot wind, but rather on the cool side, so that's nice.

I actually like it, cuz it'll blow all the smog out and show the stars more at night!

Leave a comment:

• clara
    replied

This is a good question. Considering how clear and nice it is today after a nite of intense winds....I would say it just clears it up? Maybe just disintegrates it? But it doesn't matter after the winds stop the smog will be back within hours.

Leave a comment:

• frecky
    replied

Honestly, Ive never noticed a difference. Maybe Ill actually pay attention today.

Leave a comment:

• NemoZorro
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mamabot
    replied

It is fairly windy at work today. The winds are calm at the moment, but I am sure they will get a little worse later on.

The worst is when the winds are blowing so hard that it is hard to breathe, much less walk.

As for beauty, my brother called me this morning and told me that the view as he was driving over Mulholland was breathtaking.

Leave a comment:

• TinkPink
    replied

This might sound weird, but I used to love Santa Anas! As a kid I would flip my jacket up like a sail and have them blow me over. I just love windy days.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the damage that can sometimes come with them.

I remember one year, it would have been 1998 I believe, that I had to drive up the 15 through Mira Loma and the sides of the freeway were literally lined with big rigs tipped over. I have never seen anything like that. All of the over passes were closed. It was a real bitch because I had to drive into L.A. that day. I remember it well, my engine blew on the way home and black smoke was blowing everywhere! :lol:

Leave a comment:

• frecky
    replied

Originally posted by claribella View Post
    Driving in the winds are scary. I feel like my car is going to flip over and have to really try hard to control the car!
    Theres a couple sections of the 118 that are pretty bad. I hope it dies down by the time I go home.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X