This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire in Moreno Valley

After picking the kids up from school, we noticed a bit of smoke on a mountain near our house. There are two mountains near us, only one is directly behind our neighborhood. By the time I got some lunch, the fire had gotten a bit bigger than a small plume of smoke.

The fire department is attacking the fire aggresively with a water dropping helicopter, a retardent dropping plane and ground crews. I am really hoping that they are able to get it under control quickly.

I have a few pictures that I will upload in a minute.

I am on dial-up at home, so it will take a while to get all the pictures onto photobucket.

From our backyard:
    Last edited by mamabot; 10-18-2006, 03:05 PM.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Re: Fire in Moreno Valley

Good thoughts going your way, mamabot!!
    sigpic

Comment

Thats near me! I don't smell anything outside? Is the wind blowing the other way?

Comment

Originally posted by barfownz View Post
        Thats near me! I don't smell anything outside? Is the wind blowing the other way?
        I thought you were in Temecula? The fire is in northwest Moreno Valley, which is about 30 minutes northeast of Temecula.
        Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.

NO GOATS!

Comment

MoVal is a looooong way from Temecula.

Mamabot, is it near Reche Canyon or San Timoteo???? I know the San Timoteo area got a lot of burn back in 2003 so hopefully the vegitation isn't too thick and they can knock it down. But Reche/Box Springs hasn' burned for years, not since I was in high school probably!

Here's to hoping Station 48 does a good job!!!!

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
          Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

Keeping good thoughts for you Mamabot!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

The nearest part of moreno valley is 18-20 minutes away as what the car GPS says. Usually i can smell something because there are fire on Mt. Palamar (60 mins away) and i can smell the fire.

Comment

This area of Box Springs Mountain burned a little over 5 years ago. It is the area pretty much west of Canyon Springs High.

We saw the first fire truck leave the station.

I can still hear planes outside, but the kids said that it looks like the fire is out.

NO GOATS!

Comment

Good thoughts for you Mamabot!

Comment

Fire danger is very high throughout Southern California, and for the next several weeks we'll be in prime wildfire season. Just one of the things about living in California and the West.

Just a reminder to be careful, and make sure that you have proper brush clearance around your property...firefighters say that's their biggest help.

On a side note, my wife and I spent part of the day in Ojai yesterday, and we saw "thank you firefighters and rescuers" signs all over town. Ojai was threatened by the recent huge "Day" fire that burned for over a month.

My upstairs neighbor is a 22-year old young man who works with an outfit that does brush clearance and such on the firelines. He was gone twice for between seven and 14 days during that fire.

That is work that I would not even pretend to want to do. I made sure to thank him and shake his hand each time.

With prayers to Mamabot and everyone in that area,

--Barry
                    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

The nearest part of moreno valley is 18-20 minutes away as what the car GPS says. Usually i can smell something because there are fire on Mt. Palamar (60 mins away) and i can smell the fire.
                      You really are WAY too dependant on the GPS. Seriously.

The part of MoVal mamabot is discussing is a good 45 minutes from northern Temecula.

And if you're referring to the fires in SD last year, those were HUGE, of course you could smell them. This is a fire that JUST started and is still small. Unless you're a bloodhound, you're not going to be able to smell it kid.

Mamabot, keep us posted! I know they have a great fire department in MoVal which is wildland trained (one of my best friends used to work at station 58 off Redlands blvd). They'll get it under control!!!!

Comment

I thought I smelled smoke at lunch today.

I'm in Thousand Oaks.

(Stop laughing, Hypy. While it could easily been the CPK wood-cooking pizzas down the street, I smelled something burning. Very faint. Could easily have been from Moreno Valley, as I triangulated the scent combined with the wind,....)
                        Last edited by sediment; 10-18-2006, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
                          I thought I smelled smoke at lunch today.

I'm in Thousand Oaks.
                          :ot: I'm in Westlake! Small world, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperbole View Post
                            You really are WAY too dependant on the GPS. Seriously.

The part of MoVal mamabot is discussing is a good 45 minutes from northern Temecula.
                            Unless you have a lead foot like me, then it is 30 minutes.

Mamabot, keep us posted! I know they have a great fire department in MoVal which is wildland trained (one of my best friends used to work at station 58 off Redlands blvd). They'll get it under control!!!!
                            They sure got it under control quickly. Took just under 2 hours to put the fire out. The smoke probably barely reached Perris with how small the fire was. At this time of year, little fires can become big fires very quickly. I am glad our fire department did such a good job controlling the fire so quickly.

NO GOATS!

Comment

That's great news, Mamabot, and a wakeup call nonetheless.

--Barry
                              God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by mamabot View Post
                                They sure got it under control quickly. Took just under 2 hours to put the fire out. The smoke probably barely reached Perris with how small the fire was. At this time of year, little fires can become big fires very quickly. I am glad our fire department did such a good job controlling the fire so quickly.
                                The MoVal FD really is a great department. They spend a lot of time training for wildfire, so much so that they even volunteer to work fires in other states! They're really a great team!!!!

Comment

Yes, it definately is
                                  "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Ventura County is well represented here. And our local fire departments are remarkable too, as they all are.

--Barry

Comment

Glad you're ok!
                                      sigpic
                                      Fluffy Club Member

Comment

Westlake village?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X