• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stinkerbell
    Man O Lantern
    • Jan 2005

WooHoo!

My first earthquake!

According to the government site, it hit directly underneath my neighborhood just a few minutes ago. It's been raining here constantly for days, so we thought our house was sliding down the hill (common around here), we were SO relieved it was an earthquake. :lol:

It shook us pretty good--enough to wake up the kids and scare the heck out of us and the cat.

Weird. It's just considered a micro-quake, but it felt big to this girl!
  • penguinsoda
    Jester of Randomness
    MiceChat Moderator
    • Jan 2005

Re: WooHoo!

:lmao: Way to funny!! Only someone who doesn't live in California actually is excited about an earthquake!!

Around here we don't even think of them as an earthquake until they hit at least a 5 on the scale! :lol:

Well you know, Portland is actually a very geographically hot area for siesmic activity... and is almost as over due for a big one as So Cal...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

• disneyballerina
      Sparkle Plenty
      MiceChat News Team
      • Jul 2006

Oh my goodness, that is a tiny one! You must have really been right on top of it for it to feel big. I haven't felt anything major since I got married and left the Bay Area for the Central Valley, but I grew up with quakes. They can be scary. Other than being a little freaky, everything's fine, right? Poor kitty.

I remember the Loma Prieta quake in 1989 -- that scared me senseless. I was in San Ramon. It was so loud!!

Glad you guys are okay and woo hoo, you are no longer a quake virgin!

Comment

• stinkerbell
        Man O Lantern
        • Jan 2005

We're just so relieved that the house was sliding down the hill. We ran outside and checked the perimeter of the house before realizing it was probably an earthquake. The kids are all keyed up still. It really shook us. :botox: Literally.

Comment

• twinmom
          My cuties!
          • Apr 2005

I didn't realize that was your first Claire!

So, are you as sick of the rain as I am??

Comment

• stinkerbell
            Man O Lantern
            • Jan 2005

The first day it rained, I was so giddy. Like, yay, it's fall!

After two weeks, or however long it's been, I'm so tired of it!! It just poured all day. Well, you know. It was a bit of a downer!

I heard a 3-way head on collision yesterday outside a Target in Beaverton and it scared the heck out of me. Then a fourth car hit them. This weather has created so many accidents...it's so gray and so much standing water on the roads. What a mess.

So the earthquake....it was such a relief, when I thought the house was sliding! :lol:

Comment

• justjohn
              Mr. Faranheit
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
              The first day it rained, I was so giddy. Like, yay, it's fall!

After two weeks, or however long it's been, I'm so tired of it!! It just poured all day. Well, you know. It was a bit of a downer!

I heard a 3-way head on collision yesterday outside a Target in Beaverton and it scared the heck out of me. Then a fourth car hit them. This weather has created so many accidents...it's so gray and so much standing water on the roads. What a mess.

So the earthquake....it was such a relief, when I thought the house was sliding! :lol:
              I want to live in Beaverton!
              Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• twinmom
                My cuties!
                • Apr 2005

I'm glad your house is okay!

Today I am completely sick of the rain! The dogs want to be outside but end up soaking wet. Ugh! Wet dogs suck!

Isn't it amazing to hear about all the accidents? You'd think these idiots never drove in rain?!?!

Comment

• penguinsoda
                  Jester of Randomness
                  MiceChat Moderator
                  • Jan 2005

Any time you get tired of the rain, send it down to me!! I actually WANT it to rain!!

But keep your earthquakes... its been a while since we've had one and thats ok with me. We were about 15 miles from the 7.5 Landers quake back in the early 90's... that was enough of a wake up call for me thank you!

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

• stinkerbell
                    Man O Lantern
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                    I want to live in Beaverton!
                    Wow. You might just be the first person on earth to type those words.

Seriously. :lol:

Why don't you just move to the Beaver State....Portland's in the Beaver State, you know. We're all about the Beavers here in the Beaver state.

Comment

• justjohn
                      Mr. Faranheit
                      • Jul 2006

Why don't you just move to the Beaver State....Portland's in the Beaver State, you know. We're all about the Beavers here in the Beaver state.
                      I :love: Beavers!
                      Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• twinmom
                        My cuties!
                        • Apr 2005

Gotta love the Beavers -- especially after they beat USC!

Peguinsoda, you can have this rain! This is only the start of our rainy season and I am sooooo sick of it! It didn't let up at all today!

Comment

• PirateMickey
                          A Pirate's life for me!
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                          :lmao:
                          Around here we don't even think of them as an earthquake until they hit at least a 5 on the scale! :lol:

Yeah, I'm disappointed that I slept right throught the last few of them that we had.

The "thrill" is gone...

Comment

• stinkerbell
                            Man O Lantern
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                            I :love: Beavers!
                            Do ya now. I'm shocked. :evil:

Comment

• penguinsoda
                              Jester of Randomness
                              MiceChat Moderator
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by twinmom View Post
                              Gotta love the Beavers -- especially after they beat USC!

Peguinsoda, you can have this rain! This is only the start of our rainy season and I am sooooo sick of it! It didn't let up at all today!
                              Well since I'm in the desert and we have 350 days a year of sunshine.... people think I'm nuts when I tell them I get sick of nothing but blue skys... :lol:

Comment

• MickeyMaxx
                                Orbital Pluto

MiceChat Moderator
                                • Nov 2005

Oh no, now you've got him started.

Lu

"Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
                                raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

• TikiRoomLiz
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Oct 2006

Well, I don't know what to say to that ... I know I personally don't like earthquakes, and then can't sleep for days afterwards with every truck that drives by shaking the house.

Let's just hope that you won't feel another for some time to come. And I'm glad to see that it was a small one, aside from some shaken nerves it's good to see you are all alright ... now as for the rain ... I wish we had some here.

Comment

• clara
                                    Sshhh, being very quiet
                                    • Jan 2006

Well you know, Portland is actually a very geographically hot area for siesmic activity... and is almost as over due for a big one as So Cal...
                                    Shhh..I'm not mentally ready for an earthquake!

Ta Da!

Comment

• disneyballerina
                                      Sparkle Plenty
                                      MiceChat News Team
                                      • Jul 2006

After I tried to go to sleep last night I was thinking about you -- and I remembered a whole rash of those micro quakes when I was a teenager. We were right over all of them. They were all less than 3.0, but to us they felt huge. It was very unsettling. I can imagine that it would be even more unsettling after all that rain you guys have had.

And about that rain... I used to love rain, but now that I have this little puppy, not so much. We had a couple of days of light rain last week and he acted like he was going to melt. He also doesn't like to go into the backyard alone, so I have to go out with him in order for him to take care of business. From earthquakes to rain to puppies. Off topic. Slight detour. Back to earthquakes!

During Loma Prieta I was sitting on the floor chatting with my mom who was seated on the bed. Right over my head was this heavy oil-burning candle thingy. When the quake started we just continued sitting there, because we had been through so many of them before, we just thought it was nothing at first. But the rumbling kept getting louder and the shaking more intense, and then we heard glass breaking in the kitchen -- so we got up and made a run for it. That heavy candle ended up broken on the floor, right where I had been sitting. When we turned on the TV there were test patterns and static on every channel. It was crazy. And then the aftershocks. Whoa.

Comment

• cpdisneyprincess
                                        Oh my Goodness!
                                        • Mar 2006

:lmao: Way to funny!! Only someone who doesn't live in California actually is excited about an earthquake!!

Yes! LOL I'm the same way - I don't even feel them until they hit about a 5 anymore. LOL I was in the '89 earthquake in the Bay Area AND the big one down south a few years later. I've had my fill....but I'm glad you enjoyed it. LOL

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X