This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess who's coming to town tomorrow!

No, not Santa Claus... Bill Clinton! The ex prez is coming to town tomorrow as a stop on one of his public speaking tours. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a ticket as they were sold out fast but I was wondering if anyone on this discussion board has gone to one of his presentations and wanted to know what he talks about.

Re: Guess who's coming to town tomorrow!

I have never wanted to see him, I have always even changed the channel or turned the tv off when he spoke. he gave me the willys !

Comment

I'd love to see him speak in person. He has so much charisma and charm and his oratory skills are topnotch!

Comment

I would also have loved to see him! Especially to see if he had any comments on the recent political activities!

Comment

Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
          I'd love to see him speak in person. He has so much charisma and charm and his oratory skills are topnotch!
          Like him or hate him, I firmly believe he would be amazing to see speak.

Comment

I already saw him speak too much in the Hall of Presidents...

He was here recently, too.

On better notes, though... Michael J. Fox spoke here recently (I think at one of the governor winner's rallies) and The Daily Show taped here for a whole week last week.
            -Tim

Comment

Hysterical! Yes, just ask Monica.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
                I have never wanted to see him, I have always even changed the channel or turned the tv off when he spoke. he gave me the willys !
                Hence the Nickname Slick Willy.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
                  Hysterical! Yes, just ask Monica.
                  I think it's Monica's oral skills you're thinking of.

He's an intelligent and enigmatic public speaker. I'd pay good money to see him speak in person.

Comment

He was just here in Tucson last week...I would have loved to see him, but I had to work.
                    When he was president, my sister saw him speak at the Grand Canyon. She said that he was amazing.

Comment

I think it's Monica's oral skills you're thinking of.
                      Maybe...but who knows if we all know the WHOLE story. I mean, at first, Clinton denied 'relations'.

Comment

I'm sure we'll never know. And why would we care.

Comment

I'm sure we'll never know. And why would we care.
                          I don't really care, really. What I know was enough for me, really.

Comment

I got to shake hands with Bill back in 1992 :bow:

He is such a powerful speaker and I would love to get to see him speak again.
                            ~~~:ap:~~~

Comment

Here's what Bill had to say (from a local news website)

www.castanet.net

Photo: Wayne Moore - Castanet

Clinton In Kelowna
                              by Wayne Moore - Story: 23905
                              Nov. 11, 2006 / 5:00 am

Unequal --- Unstable --- Unsustainable.

That's how former US President described the world we live in during a 45 minute speech at Prospera Place Friday night.

A standing room only crowd heard the 42nd President of the United States talk about Canada/US Relations and their role in the global community.

"Every person should be able to ask and answer four basic questions," says Clinton.

Question 1. What is the fundamental nature of the 21st century world?

"Many people use the term globalization. I don't like it because it mostly implies economics, and the nature of the 21st century world is far more than economics. I prefer the term inner-dependence."

Clinton says inner-dependence means we are bound together with people all over the world.

"Canada and the United States are more diverse countries than they were 30 years ago, but that provides all sorts of challenges that democratic societies have to rise to meet."

Clinton says this global interconnection is a new thing that also has negative impacts including terror, weapons of mass destruction, epidemics and global climate changes.

He says we share a number of vulnerabilities as well as benefits from inner-dependence.

Question 2. How would you like to change it when you leave it to your children and grandchildren?

"I would like to move from inner-dependence to a set of integrated communities locally, nationally and globally, where we could guarantee a decent standard of living for all people on earth, and do it in a way that will preserve, not destroy our eco-system."

He says integrated communities all offer three things. An equal opportunity to participate, shared responsibilities for the welfare of the commons and a genuine sense of belonging to something is bigger than just your personal pursuit.

Question 3. What do you have to do to make the transformation?

"You have to have a security policy to minimize the success of the forces of disintegration, of terror, weapons of mass destruction and the killing of innocent people."

Clinton admits the US venture into Iraq may have given security a bad name, because it still matters.

"I promised myself when Canada and the other NATO allies agreed to share the load with us 50/50 in Afghanistan, that I would never come to this country without thanking you for the sacrifices and service of your troops."

He says countries, both poor and wealthy, must start making things better at home.

"If poor countries don't have the capacity to provide the basic needs for their people, then aid efforts will be less than successful."

Clinton says none of this will happen until a critical mass of people in every country have developed the consciousness of their convictions to make different choices.

Question 4. Who is supposed to do it?

"The answer is obviously governments have to do a lot of this work. Business can, but most importantly you can do more about this than any other people in the whole history of humankind."

He says ordinary people must step into the gaps between business and government. He says those gaps are getting bigger all the time.

He says many of those gaps are being filled by non-governmental organizations, providing such things as education, health care and economic development.

He says in 1993, there were no non-governmental agencies in Russia, China or India.

"Today there are 63,000 in Russia, 235,000 registered with the government in China, and in India, there are about one million of them.

Clinton says he believes the 21st century will be the most exciting in mankind.

He says it's up to the ordinary person to start thinking of the world in a different way.

Clinton says people need to change their view on what their responsibility is and how they respond to things they don't like.

"Because you can --- You should," says Clinton.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X