This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Tastebuds

I know Thanksgiving is 3 days away, but that will be here and gone before you know it. I love that holiday and can't wait for Christmas afterward. In fact, I put my Christmas Tree up this past Saturday! Looks pretty good I might add.

So, with all the thoughts of sugar plums dancing in my mind (and with Kost 103.5 playing in my office area - only Christmas music at this point), I began wondering....what are YOUR favorite tastes of the Christmas Season? Any traditional things that maybe you only have once a year - at Christmas?

My Mom makes homemade Almond Roca every year as far back as I can remember. She pours the toffe out on a big cookie sheet and lets it cool. Once cool, she pours over melted milk chocolate and then sprinkles over very very finely chopped almonds.

This is one of our Christmas delicacies what I look forward to each year. Mom's 'Roca' just almost melts in your mouth!

What 'tasties' are YOU looking "deck" your mouths with?

Re: Christmas Tastebuds

I really can' answer that. I do know that it is not Egg Nog though. :lol:.

Comment

Cranberry Yum Yum stuff my mom makes and fudge.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
        I really can' answer that. I do know that it is not Egg Nog though. :lol:.
        Dude! Egg Nog rocks - even if I am lactose intolerant!

Comment

I guess my favs. would be Peanut Brittle and our homemade Carmel Chocolate Squares.

Comment

I only bake for birthdays and holidays so there is a lot I make at Chirstmas. I make applesauce cake since my mom always made that when I was a kid. I make all types of cookies. Oh and Chex Mix. It just wouldn't be Christmas without it. Even though my husband is the only person that eats it.

Making and decorating sugar cookies has become my new favorite. I love to get creative with decorating them. Of course then they look to pretty to eat.

Comment

I wanna go to your house and help you decorate Crystal :lol:!!!!

Comment

My wife and I decided that each year, now that we have the baby, that we're going to make a little "Happy Birthday Jesus" birthday cake.

Comment

I miss my dads fudge he used to make.. last year got some from karla it was just the way dad made it (dont think dad does it much anymore)

i will make homemade nuts and bolts (with chex, etc) it tastes so yummy

Friends for life

Comment

The homemade Almond Roca sounds amazing.

For DH, it's bizcochitos - crisp cinnamon-sugar cookies w/ anise. They're a Christmas tradition in New Mexico.

For me, it's my snowball cookies (also known as Russian Tea Cakes, or Mexican Wedding Cakes) and a holiday candy bark - white chocolate with rice krispies, red candied cherries and slivered almonds. I only make them at Christmas time, although I guess I could make them any time of year.
                    She did it!

Comment

Being Scottish, tradition around here is making true Shortbread, always a hit! Fudge, cookies etc. also. But that darn Shortbread is a b***h to make. It's made with no liquid, just butter, brown sugar and flour. So you can imagine the work! Well worth it though! Been passed down through the generations, so can't stop now!
                      Last edited by wolfy; 11-20-2006, 05:38 PM.
                      Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                      it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

We have a friend who LOVES fruitcake. Weird, I know. And despite all of the fruitcake jokes it is actually quite expensive.
                        "You can't judge a book by its cover."
                        "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

Comment

My mom and I usually make peanut butter and rice krispie cookies. Roll them into a ball and dip the top half in chocolate and let it harden in the cold. Yummmy cookies
                          Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

We always have the traditional "Dutch" Butter Cake, and my wife makes Chocolate Chip cookies for the neighbors. I'm not one to brag about this, but my neighbors have become accustomed to recieveing them. :blush:
                            Last edited by Alchimedes; 11-20-2006, 05:50 PM. Reason: Typos
                            1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

I usually make microwave fudge from the Baker's Chocolate recipie, it's so easy and great for people who hate fudge because it's too sweet.

I love Christmas Nougats. http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=1785&pname=Brach's+Christmas+Nougat s

A bag of those goes in about 5 minutes at the hospital.
                              Sarchasm- The gulf between the person using sarcasm and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X