This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct TV or Dish Network?

This is sort of a lame topic, but I would like your views on which service is better. My wife and I had Direct TV about a year ago, and had some issues with it. My parents have Direct TV and have had issues with their TIVO thing. Brother had Direct and didn't have issue, but has Dish Network now and LOVES it.

But, since I don't want to base my 'purchase' soley off of my families experiences....

What are your experiences and which should I endeavor to 'get'? Please help.

Re: Direct TV or Dish Network?

I have been extremely pleased with Dish Network, no problems to speak of and when minor issues cropped up they were prompt in resolving them.

I also think Dish is a better deal $$ wise, or at least it was when I compared Direct and Dish a few tears ago.
    “Any sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, that’s when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Comment

I had some problems with the signal for Dish Network. They did come out and align the dish but they charged me for it. I think that should be built into your monthly fee. The signal does seem better now, but I still issues with getting update downloads at odd times. You can schedule the downloads for a cetain time (which we did) but we still seem to get the downloads other than the time programmed.
      Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
      http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

Comment

I've had TiVO service with both Dish and DirecTV at one time or another. Really, they're pretty interchangeable. I prefer the navigation on Dish, but that's just me. I'd research which gives you a better deal, and go with that.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
        Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
        Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

We have Direct TV and are satisfied with it, but can't say about Dish because we've never had it. It sounds like it might be time to try it.

Comment

I can't comment about either of the satellite services, but I can highly recommend TiVo. It changes the way you watch TV!

Comment

I have Directv service. We have 3 TV's in our house hooked up to it, two of witch are Directv Tivo Boxes. I HIGHLY reccommend Directv Tivo. Trust me, you will never want to go back to whatevr you have.I have never a any problems with Directv in the (i think 8) years i'v had it. I'm a TV guy and watch a lot of it, and use the Tivo to record all my favorite shows beacause i never have time to watch TV during the day.

Comment

Which one offers more HD channels

I think Dish has more variety, although both i've found equally annoying.

My solution is whoever offers the most HD, and which one will expand their HD lineup!
                Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

Comment

Originally posted by mikeland View Post
                  I can't comment about either of the satellite services, but I can highly recommend TiVo. It changes the way you watch TV!
                  Ain't that the truth! Only problem my family and I have ever had with Directv was when it gets really windy or stormy at my house the dish gets a little screwy. Only once we had to have someone from Directv realign the dish because of excessive winds. But Directv with TiVO rocks my socks! I've had it for 2.5 years now and I LOVE IT!
                  http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
                  www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
                  http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

I've had Dish Network for years and never had any problems. I had Directv years ago and went through h*** and back trying to cancel with them. Just my $0.02
                    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
                    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

Comment

We have Direct..and my parents have Dish. They just got a new HDTV and in order to get the tivo and everything hooked up cost my mom over $300 .( I don't think she new exactly what she needed) They came out and and gave her the wrong box. They told her she needed a different box to hook up and HD and that it would cost her an additional amount of money. Plus she bought the other box, which she wasn't informed about and they wouldn't be able to return it. Long story short....it took her about 2 weeks and hours on the phone with mangers, superviors and every other Tom, Dick, and Harry who they would pawn her off on. She returned the box, finally with her paying the shipping and handling $80 worth, said they would refund her money...but when she called back after 2 weeks...they would only credit her account. So that's her deal with Dish.....by the looks of it....both of them have there fair share of problems. Good Luck.
                      HEARTS CLUB !!

Comment

It's really windy in Stockton tonight, and I know I should be asleep anyway but.... Direct TV is out!!! This so very rarely happens and I can't help but think our service was jinxed by this thread.

I was watching Will & Grace reruns and suddenly, badda-bing, badda-bam, blank screen. Not even static or ant races, just blackness. Every few seconds I have a message in the bottom left of the screen that says, "Searching for satellite signal. Please stand by". Well, what else am I gonna do? I can't go out on the roof in the middle of the night in a windstorm and adjust the dish, so I will be standing by, thanks. And hanging on Micechat. Maybe I should go to sleep! Ya think?! :whistling

Comment

Ah, service is back. So Direct TV was down for maybe 15 minutes in the middle of the night. Weird. It is windy, but I dunno if that was the reason. Hmph. At least it's back now.

Comment

I am checking out this thread because we are looking to change services too. We had DirecTV for ~3 years; love TiVo!! Occassional service issues with DirecTV (when we tried to upgrade to HD delt with uninformed installer, MANY hours on the phone to the service center and gave up and ordered cable.) But when our promotional dela with Adelphia is over we will probably go back to DirecTV. So far for us the difference between the 2 satellite providers is content; Jim needs to get his Mets games in CT and only DirecTV provides SNY (Sports New York) channel.
                            Sue B

Math Geek of Randomness

Comment

I have dish... and it gets service quite well.. except when its heavy rain with wind and it collects in the dish... then it knocks service out... otherwise its quite well... no problems that i know of.

the only issue was when they changes cards, and had to get a special order for the box we had since it was an older box and mom wont upgrade to the tivo box..

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X