Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Registrations

New user registrations are verified at least once per day. Thank you for your patience.
2 of 2 < >

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

99 Ranch Market

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Ranch Market

Gotta sing some praises here.

Went in there the other day for some Red Bean Paste (long story, but this is about the only place I know to get it, it's very sweet and good in desserts). It's not the kind of place I'd have thought to go into without a purpose, but I was very impressed.

Anyway, I'm not the type to cook seafood at home, but if I was, I would DEFINITELY be going there to shop for it, holy cow their selection was good! Not to mention the amazing array of frozen dim sum stuff (vs Vons, whose dim sum selection totals 2 items)

But now getting to the good stuff... they had red bean popsicles! Don't know how to describe the flavor, but I think of it as being like a less-sweet brown sugar type flavor. YUMMY!

Okay, I know this was totally random, but I just thought it was a really nice market with a good selection of veggies and fish, etc. and wanted to share because I know most folks don't know anything about it, and, like me, probably wouldn't think to go there without reason.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Re: 99 Ranch Market

Glad to see you found a market that sells it. I live close to Little Tokyo so I can get it pretty easily, although red bean isn't my favorite. I tried these little red bean pancake type things that they make there fresh ... saw a HUGE LINE of people buying them ... figured they were good ... but, it wasn't something I'd buy again.

Although, I am interested in knowing how you used the red bean paste. Maybe I might need to try it another way ... I know they also sell red bean ice cream and drinks there.

Comment

I haven't used it yet, I wanna experiment with it in pastries though.

When I was a kid we used to go to Fung Lum in Universal City, and we always loved their specialty: Fung Lum Pudding. It was a baked tapioca pudding, with the Azuki bean paste in the middle. Of course, when I was a kid, I thought it was brown sugar, LOL.

My brother recently found a recipe that's really similar to the Fung Lum recipe, and it sort of brought the whole red bean thing to my attention again, so I decided I'd like to experiment with using it with things like puff pastry, etc. So I went into 99 Ranch to get the canned paste, and thought while I was there I'd grab some Cha Siu Bao (I like those for a grab-and-go breakfast), and discovered a vast array of stuff with the red beans already in them, including the bao (which I got... not as sweet as I hoped, more like the chinese equivalent of a bean burrito), and the popsicles, which are awesome (just ate one tonight while I was writing the op, LOL)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Well let me know how your experimenting goes. I wouldn't mind giving red bean paste another chance. Or maybe I should experiment as well ... hmmm.

Comment

Well, the 99 Ranch near us has been closed a few times due to another kind of live animal on the shelves...Rodents. Or should I just say RATS.

I know...They (rats) are everywhere, but the severity of them caused the store to be shut down (twice that I know of). That is a serious rat problem.

Though it doesn't seem to deter the shoppers from going there...

Not us though. No thanks!

Enjoy the popsicles. At least they are sealed.

Comment

99 ranch is amazing.

sadly, that's all I have to say.
            Disneyland Photos:
            01.02.2006 (facebook album)
            02.25.2006 - Totally random trip
            Spring break 2006 - WALT DISNEY WORLD (also has some random spring break pics in)
            08.01.2006 -Club 33 trip!
            My first MC trip report!
            More to come, of course! =D

Deluxe Annual Pass purchased - 12.09.2006

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon View Post
              Gotta sing some praises here.

Are you actually singing or just teasing us?

Comment

I love 99 Ranch Market. The prices are reasonable and you can find a lot of things Asian that is harder to find at a 'regular' store even considering I live in a state with a high Asian count.

Unfortunately, we just found out ours is closing in the next two months!
                :love: Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.:love:
                --------------------------------------------------------
                :ghug:Part of the Disney Ohana:ghug:

--------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I wish we had a 99 Ranch Market near us! I love cooking Thai and Japanese dishes, and improvising my own fusion creations. Having a Ranch Market nearby would help a lot. I had the worst time finding "Nam Pla" a few weeks ago when I made my own Tom Ka Gai.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                  Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
                  Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

My family has been shopping there for as long as I can remember! Some other stores you may want to try are Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa, CA (it's near south Coast PLaza) or Marukai which is a Japanese wholesale store. I love going into these stores and stocking up on Asian junk food.....shrimp chips....hi-chew...pocky! YUM!

My best score ever!

Comment

Originally posted by duckiedianne View Post
                      My family has been shopping there for as long as I can remember! Some other stores you may want to try are Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa, CA (it's near south Coast PLaza) or Marukai which is a Japanese wholesale store. I love going into these stores and stocking up on Asian junk food.....shrimp chips....hi-chew...pocky! YUM!
                      Pocky!!! One of my daughter's favorite snacks! Luckily regular super markes have started carrying it now. That and Botan Rice Candy. Strange, yet delicious.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Comment

Ahhh, Goonie I'm jealous. To have a 99 ranch market near us would be great. As it is we have to travel 30+ mins to get to an asian market out here. Mmmmm, dim sum
                        Katie :yea:
                        Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                        :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

We were first introduced to 99 Ranch in Vegas. Imagine our surprise when we moved back to Atlanta and found we have one here as well!

We went and stocked up on all sorts of goodies. And when we saw a travel show feature the fruit of death (durian?), we knew none other than 99 ranch would have it!

The verdict on the fruit?

I'd rather die than eat it again. Just sayin'. But 99 Ranch I'll visit again!
                          "But every night, when it gets dark
                          and the stars come out,
                          I'll look up on her behalf.
                          I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Comment

They sell durian at the 99 Ranch Market? :yuck: That fruit is outlawed in some areas or Asia because it's so vile, I'm shocked that it's sold at a supermarket!

Comment

Originally posted by TraceCub View Post
                              We went and stocked up on all sorts of goodies. And when we saw a travel show feature the fruit of death (durian?), we knew none other than 99 ranch would have it!

The verdict on the fruit?

I'd rather die than eat it again. Just sayin'. But 99 Ranch I'll visit again!
                              Durian :shudder: I can't imagine getting it that close to my face, based on the smell alone!

I was fascinated by the package of duck tongues that I saw there last time. They were wrapped on a styrofoam meat tray, just like you'd get ground beef. Only, they were little tiny tounges. Stir fry?
                              A signature should go here.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X