This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my dogs, please!

I'm not sure how to remedy this and could use your help.

I have two big dogs. The dry, cold weather seems to have made their skin very dry. They itch quite a bit, to the point I have noticed scratches and scabs on their backs.

The dogs do not have fleas, and for a short term fix I take them to PetsMart and get them medicated baths, but I'm looking for something that will make them feel better all the time.

Has anyone else had this problem with their pets? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve it?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Originally posted by Mouse princess
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Re: Help with my dogs, please!

Sounds like they have dry skin. There is a name for it I can't think of. My mom's dog a Weimeramer has this problem. The vet has her give Blue fish oil capsules. They help rehydrate his skin. You can order them cheaper off pets meds, but in the short term you can get them @ a helath gfood store or vitamin store.
    Hope this helps.
    sigpic
    Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.

Comment

I give my doggie an oatmeal bath at home, just fill the tub up with several cartons of oatmeal, and she loves it and it helps her itchy skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
        I give my doggie an oatmeal bath at home, just fill the tub up with several cartons of oatmeal, and she loves it and it helps her itchy skin.
        I would love to do that ... however I have one bathtub with a small drain and 200 pounds of furry dog. Every time I've tried to give them a bath I end up calling the plumber, which is why I end up taking them to PetsMart.

Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Comment

My April (shih tzu) has exzema. The vet recommended what Morticia said. Fish oil. He also said Omega 3's. It helped my baby out. She would get spots the size of nickels all over her body that would irritate and then scab over. It was common the vet said that some dogs just have exzema.
          I didnt' think that could happen to animals. Weird. But, check with the vet, call in and see what he recommends. It may also be due to stress from the move. Hope all get better soon! :ghug:
          Urge to groove building. Must... snap.... fingers....

Comment

Thanks Bree!

I never noticed it on either of the boys before, so it's weird that suddenly they are both itchy.

Comment

Another way to help with it is check their food. If the food has a corn base, like Science Diet, that could be making it worse. NutraMax lamb and rice is usually the best.

But the Omega 3 for dogs should help.
              Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
              FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
              I bring the magic!!!
              "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
              Originally posted by Reverend DMother
              Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. :love: I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

Comment

Do you have carpets at the new place? Sometimes they put down that powered carpet deoderizer and that makes my cats skin bad. Just talk with the vet about what could cause it and alternatives for controlling/healing their skin. Also, ask what over-the-counter stuff, so it's not too expensive. Oh, the vitamins will be a little pricey, but not ask much as prescriptions and they do help.

we had April a year and a half before the exzema showed up. She still has some flare ups, but nothing like she used to. Oy.
                Urge to groove building. Must... snap.... fingers....

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaJenn View Post
                  I would love to do that ... however I have one bathtub with a small drain and 200 pounds of furry dog. Every time I've tried to give them a bath I end up calling the plumber, which is why I end up taking them to PetsMart.
                  I have an oatmeal shampoo that I use sometimes for my boys. I bathe them outside, because I don't need plumbing issues either. They're actually pretty good about it. The older one doesn't even need to be tied to anything, he just stands there and lets me scrub him.

Comment

Those are all great ideas! Thank you!

Comment

How old are they? Where do you live? If your dogs are reaching middle age to senior (for big dogs that would be around 6 or 7), this can cause a sudden change in their skin balance and make a dog that previously had no skin problems suddenly have dry skin or other skin issues. This, combined with a dry climate (it's winter!) can really compound the issue.

Definitely check out using the nutro lamb & rice. Since you go to PetSmart, if you are ever there on the weekends look for the nutro rep. They give great demos on why their food is really good and it almost makes you wish you could eat it, too! They're usually only there on the weekends.

Don't be afraid when you take them in to be groomed at PetSmart to absolutely insist and double insist on the medicated shampoo being used at proper dilution and for the full length of time. If you don't see a $5.00 charge added on to your statement, double check before you leave them that they will take care of it.

The standard medicated shampoo that PetSmart salons use is awesome stuff! I've seen cases where neglected dogs were rescued and would come in severely matted. When all that fur is removed, you can imagine the horrible skin conditions it leaves in its wake. The medicated shampoo, when soaked for 5-10 mins did wonders to the point where you almost couldn't see the damage anymore.

Look into the Omega-3. Also look into a supplement called Missing Link. I use it for my cats. It's amazing stuff! It's all natural ingredients in powder form that you sprinkle on their food. It adds all sorts of vital nutrients that their body might not be absorbing from their usual food. This helps keep the skin in good condition, which in turn encourages the skin to HOLD onto hair follicles which reduces SHEDDING! If they're on the older side, there's a Missing Link Plus for seniors. You'll find it at PetSmart.

FYI, I no longer work for PetSmart grooming... which would explain why I am so suddenly vocal in advertising for them!
                      "But every night, when it gets dark
                      and the stars come out,
                      I'll look up on her behalf.
                      I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X