Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Scouts! Do remember your Pinewood Derby?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Scouts! Do remember your Pinewood Derby?

I was in charge of my son's pinewood derby event last night. It went off so great. In fact, my son won!!! All the boys had to race 4 heats - each race on a different track. A.J. and another boy took 1st each time - so they had a race off and A.J. won.

Anyway, thought I'd bring some nostalgia back to you former cub scouts -

I got this cut out at the Scout Office - I thought it was hysterical.

Welcome!

Weigh In - and making some minor adjustments to make weight. (I had to laugh at the dad's that brought their drills!)

I created a place for the little siblings to play (The Hollywood Hotel is where the color commentators sit)

Boogity Boogity Boogity - Let's go Racin' Boys!
    sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Re: Calling all Scouts! Do remember your Pinewood Derby?

I actually still have my two Pinewood derby cars from the late 70's. I won first place and got a little trophy.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

Comment

Jen great pictures and yeah for AJ:yea:

Friends for life

Comment

Ok that looks COOL! My son would LOVE all that!

Ta Da!

Comment

Jen you ROCK! Wow, what a great event. You really added that extra touch to it and I love the NASCAR flair!

Comment

We threw in a little Indy Car too - as the winner, my son got a little chug of Chocolate milk.

For the refreshments we had Oreos (car tires) and Rice Krispy Treats (with some red sprinkles) to look like bricks from the Brickyard! And of course, Milk to wash it all down!
            sigpic
            Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

Jen you should be a set designer or even a party planner as you ahve great ideas my friend

Friends for life

Comment

That is so cool!!!! I remember being dragged to my brothers Pine Wood Derby's, only they didn't look as fancy and nice as those pics you posted. They had no decorations or anything, and it was in the school gym.
                One of my brothers always did well in the races and he and my dad decorated the car, painted it, etc.
                I do have one bad memory from going to one of those when I was in the first grade. I was sitting at the piano, trying to see the scores and I smashed my head (the top), having to get alot of stitches. Not a fun time that year.
                Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

Thanks for posting this, it brought back so many memories for me of my own Pinewood Derbys. I won 1st place my first year and every other year I placed somewhere in the top 5 (and we had a pack of about 50 kids in those days).

Congrats to your son for winning!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

I'm so glad to hear that they still do this somewhere! How great! I loved the Derby when I was a kid. Also the Raingutter Regatta. They were great activities. There were the kids whose Dads went overboard and their cars looked like NASCAR replicas with perfectly cut profiles, decals and such. But it was still a blast all around. I actually quit Scouting because they eventually cut out the Derby and any other competitive events so that nobody would get their feelings hurt if they didn't win. Dead serious, they turned our pack into a bunch of PC-Mamma'd Pansies. It sucked. I'm glad to see these things aren't dead though. And way to go on the decorations. You absolutely rock!

Comment

Thanks for giving me a flashback.

I also remember doing boat races.
                      Originally posted by Grumpee
                      I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

That sure brings back good memories! I still have my car. I whittled for weeks on that thing.

Comment

I was the assistant DL for my son's cub scout troop for 4 years and your pictures bring back great memories. My hubby is not a handyman at all and somehow between my son and him they always ended up in the 3 for the derby which really annoyed the husbands that were a little too into it. Now all my scouts are in their senior year of high school. Enjoy them while you can.
                          sigpic

Comment

I was a Den leader. I remember my son's Pinewood Derby. Looks like you went all out. Congratulations to your son.
                            BarbaraAnn

Comment

Great Work!. I was cubmaster for 6 years and a DL for 2 (still working with the scouts, but with the older boys) I have many fond memories.

In fact I have my own track that my father build. Our group has used it every year for 10 or 11 years.

If your interested next year, I have a way of running the heats so that everyone gets many more heats to race in. It is slower, but the boys like seeing thier cars race more than the 3 or 4 heats most races get.
                              VISIT my sketchblog: M54

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X