A St. Patty's Day Road Trip (Photo Heavy)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • penguinsoda
    Jester of Randomness
    MiceChat Moderator
    • Jan 2005

A St. Patty's Day Road Trip (Photo Heavy)

Part One: (of three)

(Side note: The program I use to do the picture collections is called Comic Life. Sorry PC users... last time I checked its only for Mac)

Saturday morning, St. Patrick's day, my daughter, her fiance and I took a day trip up to Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear. The actual purpose of the trip was to look for potential wedding places for "the kids."

The night before I told my daughter I was going to have her up early so we could be on the road by 8:00 AM. Well, since she's her mothers daugher..... It was after 9:00 before we actually got started down the road.

When ever we travel together I turn my keys over to my future son-in-law and let him drive while I sit back and....

Take pictures out the car window!! :lol:

We started out on interstate 10 from the Palm Springs area headed for Lake Arrowhead via the 30.

These are the giant fans they use to keep Palm Springs cool in the summer! (I can just see Desertdweller rolling his eyes right about now, like he's never heard that one before.)

Some of you know I have a fear of heights. Well, high open places at least. The road to Arrowhead is a typical mountain road. And I was sitting on the passenger side closest to... the edge. I love my future son-in-law, but he does think he's Mario Andrete behind the wheel. So I did the same thing I do when I ride Space Mountain! I closed my eyes and hung on for dear life! The only thing missing was my screaming! (Those were the tires squealing... really.)

We actually arrived safely at Arrowhead Village. We stopped briefly here to get exact directions to a place we were going to look at. As you can see, it was a perfect day. Sunny, clear and around 70-80 degrees.

The first place we looked at was actually in and area called Twin Peaks which is about 2 miles from Arrowhead. Its in the San Bernardino National Forest, and is about 6000 feet in elevation. The first place we looked at was ok, but not exactly what they portrayed on their website. Daughter has the final say so... we decieded to go back down to Arrowhead Village to pretend we were tourists for a bit.

In the village they have a nice stage set up. As we were leaving they had a band playing some Celtic Folk songs. It was St. Patrick's Day after all!

It's a nice little village, with many shops to wander into and spend lots of money if one is so inclined. But mostly its just a beautiful place to spend an weekend and kick back and relax.

The lake itself, is beautiful. I don't know if they limit the boats and water skiers to the other end of the lake away from the village or what, but when we were there there wasn't a lot of action on the lake itself.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 03-19-2007, 05:45 AM.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.
  • Hakuna Makarla
    Banned User
    • Aug 2005

Re: A St. Patty's Day Road Trip

very nice!! I love the ( you so better not use this in your trip report :lol:

Comment

• penguinsoda
      Jester of Randomness
      MiceChat Moderator
      • Jan 2005

Part Two:

There were not many people on the lake, but there were lots of wildlife. Johnathan Livingston was there, along with some Mallards and mud hens.

And who knew that Woody had a boat house too? And here we thought he only rode horses.

Who needs Disneyland when you can ride the Twains little brother! Although I couldn't convience the kids we should go for a spin on it. They even have a little train that goes around the village, just like Disneyland. Ok, maybe not just like but...

The top picture... the one on the far left is my summer home... when I hit the lottery.

Since Big Bear was just a few miles away, and my daughters fiance knows his way around there better we went there next. (He lived in Big Bear for a while, and his parents up until a couple of years ago had a cabin up there.)

See the arrow? Thats telling you "the road is over there, stay on it and stay away from this edge."

They had gone up to Big Bear a few weeks earlier, and wanted to show me one of the places they had looked at up there. It was beautiful. It was peaceful. It was off the beaten path. After talking to the manager, it was more zeros than I have in my checking account.

Yeah... Vegas is looking pretty good...

Ok, might as well do the tourist thing here too while we're at it. After all, its Saturday, its a nice day, we're here...

While sitting at a light I noticed over my shoulder, a totem with a bear looking up at an eagle. I thought this was so cool! I tried getting a picture of it looking backward, but wanted to zoom in. Of course by the time I zoomed and snapped the light changed and all I got was... the eagle on the edge of the shot. *sigh*

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

• penguinsoda
        Jester of Randomness
        MiceChat Moderator
        • Jan 2005

Part Three:

Most people walk their dogs, the people in Big Bear... walk their goats! We spend some time in Big Bear Village, which is pretty much just like the village in Arrowhead. Lots of shops, touristy things to do and a world famous biker bar named Chad's. No we didn't go in, we had places to go and other things to see... :whistling:

Its a good thing they warn you to stay off the lake ice, since there wasn't any that day. But there was still some snow on the runs. I think what snow is up there is mostly man made now. Its been an incredibly dry winter, and we've had almost no rain which means the mountains have had almost no natural snow this year.

But still, its a beautiful place. Very different from the desert I live in, and much like were I grew up in Idaho.

But it was getting late. We had spend the day wandering around, enjoying some beautiful countyside and doing something different for the day, but we were taking the fiance out for dinner that night since his birthday is this month. Time to head back down the mountain.

We made a circle out of our trip. We started out on interstate 10 to get to Arrowhead, and went down the 10 into Lucerne Valley from Big Bear to get home. Once again I sat back, let my driver do all the work and I snapped some quick photos on our way down the hill. Quite a contrast, looking down from a pine forest into the desert valley.

And that as they say, was that! Just thought I'd share some random photos with you all from my little adventure!! Thanks for looking!

Comment

• penguinsoda
          Jester of Randomness
          MiceChat Moderator
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
          very nice!! I love the ( you so better not use this in your trip report :lol:
          Yeah, I don't think I'll tell her about the trip report.... :whistling:

Comment

• All Aglow
            <3
            • Jun 2005

Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing! It looks like a very fun trip, just to drive around and look at the sights.

Comment

• Mac Daddy
              Nikon +Disneyland = :)
              MiceChat Round-Up Crew
              • Jun 2005

Great shots of Arrowhead Pengy! :bow: It's nice to see the lake full, although it's gonna go down, down, down this Summer as we've had almost no rain this year.

Arrowhead is one of our favorite places to go for a quick getaway. We usually go in the Autumn when we are desperate to go ANYWHERE where it feels like the seasons are actually changing.

Our favorite place to visit while we're up there is the Belgian Waffle House, where the best item on the menu is the Hot Apple Annie (Waffle, Cinammon Ice Cream, and Apples. MMMMMMM! :clap: ) You also have to watch out for the little bee/wasp creatures that they set loose to attack the bark beetles. Unfortunately, they mostly left the bark beetles alone preferring to attack guests eating their waffles on the patio.

It looks like you had a great time! I'm sure the wedding will be spectacular, but watch out for those bees!

"I now pronounce you...AAAAAAAUGH!"

Comment

• Princess Buttercup
                MiceChatter
                • Aug 2005

Thanks for the trip repoerrt and pictures Jody. I've always heard great things about Arrowhead , but never actually seen it. I especially like all the lake shots!

Comment

• MTNGIRL
                  It's SisterP Time!
                  • Aug 2005

Beautiful pics! And what beautiful scenery!

Sounds like you had an amazing road trip day. I love those! I hope you're getting closer to deciding on a wedding location.

Comment

• dsnylndmom
                    loves a silver lining
                    • Jan 2005

What beautiful pictures!! Thank you for sharing

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

• TinkPink
                      I used to live here.
                      • Feb 2005

Thanks for sharing! I haven't been to those places in years, so I appreciated the flashbacks!
                      �In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.� -Michael Jackson

Comment

• kelly
                        love my friends
                        • Sep 2005

great pictures and report jody.. JUST LOVE THEM

Friends for life

Comment

• NeverNeverland
                          Where should we go next?

• Apr 2005

Gorgeous pics!
                          Good morning, son
                          In twenty years from now
                          Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                          And I can tell you 'bout today
                          And how I picked you up and everything changed
                          It was pain
                          Sunny days and rain
                          I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

• Wendygirl
                            Enjoy the now!
                            • Feb 2005

Re: A St. Patty's Day Road Trip (Photo Heavy)

Great photos. I've always loved Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear. When we were kids we vacationed in nearby Blue Jay and Lake Gregory every summer at our neighbors cabin. Good memories. And our daughter became a gleam in our eye in Big Bear (if you get my drift ... and probably more information than most of you want to know :blush.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Dr. Earkid
                              GO DBACKS!!
                              • Jan 2005

I haven't been to Big Bear in ages. I used to be a camp counselor at a summer camp on the way up to BB. Thanks for the pics Pengy!

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

• clara
                                Sshhh, being very quiet
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by penguinsoda View Post
                                Part Two:

I so love the little bro and that train!

Ta Da!

Comment

• BDBopper
                                  Colorful
                                  • Apr 2005

Thanks for sharing Jody. Great Trip report and pictures.

Where is Big Bear and Arrowhead in SoCal? Nor Cal?
                                  Originally posted by aashee
                                  We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

• Max Fischer
                                    That Guy
                                    • Apr 2005

Great pics, thanks for sharing the beautiful views.

Comment

• Wendygirl
                                      Enjoy the now!
                                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BDBopper View Post
                                      Where is Big Bear and Arrowhead in SoCal? Nor Cal?
                                      They are located in the San Bernardino mountains North East of Los Angeles in Southern California. It is about a two and half hour drive from where I live in the Long Beach area.
                                      sigpic

Comment

• Joshrzmeup
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Mar 2006

Great pics, Pengy!!!!!! It looks beautiful up there, and the scenery is breathtaking!!!
                                        Thanks for sharing!
                                        Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X