X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from your childhood - the stores that are no more

Akron

What are your childhood store memories from places that no longer exist?

Re: Tales from your childhood - the stores that are no more

Woolworth's!!

Comment

Ben Franklin.

I had Woolworths in mind too.

Comment

I remember going to Alpha Beta supermarkets with my mom. They had those old fashioned shopping carts that fold up so I would always sit on the bottom and go for a ride while my mom shopped. I also remember going to Fedco practically every Sunday after church with both of my parents.
        http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
        www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
        http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

Also "Showbiz", which was taken over by "Chuck e Cheese".

Comment

the only store I remember that is no more is gemco We would always go shopping there. One side was groceries, when we were done with that they would out a number on the cart and store it for us while we went tot he other side...which was kind of like a target. We would get toiletries and other stuff there...watches, film....after we were done we would drive around back show them out number and they would bring the grocery cart out.

Comment

TG & Y. We would always go after church on Sunday's. We also had a Gemco (which is not Target off of Yorba Linda Blvd off the 57 freeway). I got lost there one time . People ALWAYS hung outside trying to give away puppies and kittens.
              Katie :yea:
              Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
              :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

My parents were big Gemco shoppers .. and sometimes we would also go to Zodys.
                One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Originally posted by Mouse princess
                Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Comment

Heehheee - this brings back memories!

When i was a child, we would go to Hinshaw's to buy my girl scout uniforms. We'd go into Broadway and Orbach's but I honestly don't remember much beyond walking around in the stores.

I remember TG&Y! I also used to LOVE J.J. Newberry's. The one we went to was sooo cool because instead of going upstairs from the ground level, you could go downstairs! I thought the basement was neat.

Before there was Target, my mom would shop for her household goods at Gemco and Fedco. For groceries, we'd shop at Hughes, Alpha-Beta, and The Boys markets.
                  She did it!

Comment

The one place I miss more than anything is Farrell's. Now I know there is a shell of one at Mountasia in Santa Clarita but trust me its not the same. Ice Cream Parties were so AWESOME, and it was always a nice treat, and the candy store up front, yummy!

The other place I miss (which I think happened to be in the same parking lot as the Farrells in the Valley) was Zodies.

Also, in general I miss drive in move theatres

A little piece of heaven

Comment

Originally posted by MollyTrolly View Post
                      The one place I miss more than anything is Farrell's. Now I know there is a shell of one at Mountasia in Santa Clarita but trust me its not the same. Ice Cream Parties were so AWESOME, and it was always a nice treat, and the candy store up front, yummy!

The other place I miss (which I think happened to be in the same parking lot as the Farrells in the Valley) was Zodies.

OMG, yes YES! I remember Farrell's and Zodies too! I had my 8th birthday at Farrell's!
                      She did it!

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                        the only store I remember that is no more is gemco We would always go shopping there. One side was groceries, when we were done with that they would out a number on the cart and store it for us while we went tot he other side...which was kind of like a target. We would get toiletries and other stuff there...watches, film....after we were done we would drive around back show them out number and they would bring the grocery cart out.
                        Gemco for me to!

Comment

Originally posted by MollyTrolly View Post

I remember Farrell's.

Comment

I don't remember Gemco but I know my parents shopped there too. A while back ago I found some photos from like the 80's and they were in a picture packet from Gemco.
                            http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
                            www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
                            http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

Zody's and Cornet - where I use to get my plastic model planes/cars/etc.

Farrell's - use to the ones in Cerritos Mall and Stonewood Shopping Center

Boy's Market

Ben Franklin's Crafts - There's still one in Oahu, but I'm not sure if it's the same one as in the mainland.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X