Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cat troubles

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cat troubles

    My cat does not bury her feces when she uses the litterbox. She only scratches the side of the litterbox and the flap door (we have a covered litter box). I've tried different brands, but she still does not bury it. I've searched online and tried different methods like burying it in front of her or filling the box deeper, but nothing works.

    Any advice? I got her when she was only about 2 months old and had to teach her to use the litter box. I always assumed that burying their waste was a natural instinct for all cats.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  • #2
    Re: Cat troubles

    Is this an April Fool's Joke?
    �In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.� -Michael Jackson


    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Cat troubles

      Some cats just do not bury it. Mine doesnt, she just claws at the washer, (cats box is in the washroom) to get the litter out from between her toes.

      Be thankful yours uses a covered box. I tried that and mine just went right in front of the box.
      Mellymouse




      (do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)





      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Cat troubles

        Originally posted by TinkPink View Post
        Is this an April Fool's Joke?
        No, my cat really does not bury her poop. Perhaps I should've asked this question earlier hehe. )
        ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Cat troubles

          Originally posted by MellyMouse View Post
          Some cats just do not bury it. Mine doesnt, she just claws at the washer, (cats box is in the washroom) to get the litter out from between her toes.

          Be thankful yours uses a covered box. I tried that and mine just went right in front of the box.
          The problem is that sometimes she steps on her old feces and tracks it all over the place.
          ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Cat troubles

            I have one who doesn't cover either. It is just how he is.

            Now, I'd like to add another cat trouble to the discussion:

            DH had just washed to dog's bed (he likes to us a lot of bleach) and put it back into her crate. Cat walks into it (not unusual - he usually like to roll around in dog stink). This time, up goes his tail and the butt wiggling begins. He sprayed on in right in front of me! This is my good kitty who normally does no wrong! What could have caused this behavior all of a sudden? We got a new kitten at least 4 months ago and if anything, I would have expected problems when we got her. Nothing then.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Cat troubles

              Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
              The problem is that sometimes she steps on her old feces and tracks it all over the place.
              I can see where this is a problem. Mine sometimes backs up to the edge of the box and then goes.. obviously not in the box. I use puppy training pads around the box. Catches stuff before it makes it to the carpet.

              Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
              I have one who doesn't cover either. It is just how he is.

              Now, I'd like to add another cat trouble to the discussion:

              DH had just washed to dog's bed (he likes to us a lot of bleach) and put it back into her crate. Cat walks into it (not unusual - he usually like to roll around in dog stink). This time, up goes his tail and the butt wiggling begins. He sprayed on in right in front of me! This is my good kitty who normally does no wrong! What could have caused this behavior all of a sudden? We got a new kitten at least 4 months ago and if anything, I would have expected problems when we got her. Nothing then.
              Is he fixed? This shouldnt be happening if he is. It could be that this time the bleach was a bit much and took all the known scents off the bedding. Also, the kitten could have sprayed first, then cat, to re-mark his territory. (The smell could be on the crate and not the blanket.)
              Last edited by MellyMouse; 03-31-2007, 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling
              Mellymouse




              (do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)





              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Cat troubles

                We got another cat a few years ago. At first she used the litterbox. We also had one dog at the time (now we have 2), but she stayed inside for about 6 months. One day, i was sitting on the couch, and heard the doggie door flap, and i looked down, and my dog was sitting on the ground
                o.O
                The cat saw the dog using it so much, she decided to, so since then shes never really come inside. but we see her every night

                Now, about your cat, have you thought about making it an inside/outside cat? you can teach some cats to do their buisness outside, and come in. That, or you might need a bigger litter box.
                Good luck!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Cat troubles

                  Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                  My cat does not bury her feces when she uses the litterbox. She only scratches the side of the litterbox and the flap door (we have a covered litter box). I've tried different brands, but she still does not bury it. I've searched online and tried different methods like burying it in front of her or filling the box deeper, but nothing works.

                  Any advice? I got her when she was only about 2 months old and had to teach her to use the litter box. I always assumed that burying their waste was a natural instinct for all cats.
                  Hmmm... burying the waste is a natural instinct. I don't know why your cat won't cover her poo. At least the box is covered which helps control the smell. Guess you're just gonna have to keep scoopin'.

                  Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                  I have one who doesn't cover either. It is just how he is.

                  Now, I'd like to add another cat trouble to the discussion:

                  DH had just washed to dog's bed (he likes to us a lot of bleach) and put it back into her crate. Cat walks into it (not unusual - he usually like to roll around in dog stink). This time, up goes his tail and the butt wiggling begins. He sprayed on in right in front of me! This is my good kitty who normally does no wrong! What could have caused this behavior all of a sudden? We got a new kitten at least 4 months ago and if anything, I would have expected problems when we got her. Nothing then.
                  Your cat didn't do anything wrong. He's hittin' a favorite spot that didn't smell like himself or your dog. The scent of bleach threw him for a loop. By spraying, he's marking the territory and making it his again.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Cat troubles

                    Originally posted by ron10036 View Post
                    Your cat didn't do anything wrong. He's hittin' a favorite spot that didn't smell like himself or your dog. The scent of bleach threw him for a loop. By spraying, he's marking the territory and making it his again.
                    That is what we are hoping. He is a neutered male, 9 years old. He may be getting a little crotchity in his old age. Plus we have brought in a new dog and the kitten all within the last 9 months. He really has been the best cat going with the flow of many changes in his life.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Cat troubles

                      All I have to say is that you might want to look into getting an electronic kitty box like a littermaid -- I finally ponied up the cash for one, and yes, sometimes it's a pain (it runs constantly if you overfill it), but it really cuts down on the smell. And since it scoops up the kitty poops after just minutes, that would remedy your problem with the cat not burying it's business.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Cat troubles

                        You need a spoiler on this.. do not read if easily grossed out.

                        Blech. :sick:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Cat troubles

                          Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                          My cat does not bury her feces when she uses the litterbox. She only scratches the side of the litterbox and the flap door (we have a covered litter box). I've tried different brands, but she still does not bury it. I've searched online and tried different methods like burying it in front of her or filling the box deeper, but nothing works.

                          Any advice? I got her when she was only about 2 months old and had to teach her to use the litter box. I always assumed that burying their waste was a natural instinct for all cats.

                          mine doesnt do that either........ all of them (I have 3) think they are burying it.. they only scratch their box.. so i think it is normal I think anyways

                          Friends for life

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Cat troubles

                            You could try the Littermaid, which we use or try pure crystal litter. The crystal litter is a bit more expensive than regular litter, but will desecate any feces so that it doesn't smell.

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X