Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candle Safety....

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Candle Safety....

    I wanted to post this to make people aware of the dangers of candles.

    Yesterday Gregg lit a candle in our guest bathroom. It was one that has 3 wicks on it. We forgot about it. We were getting ready to eat when the smoke alarms in the house started going off. I ran into the bathroom, and there on the sink was the candle, flames going up pretty high. I tried to blow it out, which seemed to make it not happy and it got a little worse. I called Gregg in and he blew with all he could just about and that is when it happened. The wax flew EVERYWHERE. The worst place it flew-Greggs face. He had wax all over his face and at the time we "thought" it splattered in his eye. His eye was bothering him and watering like crazy. He took a little nap, woke up and said it felt better, but that was short lived. I finally talked him in to going to the ER. He finally listened to me and went. He has a corneal abrasion, a scratch on his eye. They put drops in and gave him some pain pills and ointment he has to put in his eye every 6 hours. He seems to be doing better today, but let me tell you, that was scary.

    The bathroom still smells like the candle, there is wax everywhere.

    It could have been worse, the whole house could have burned down. Thankfully we got to it in time.

    Everyone please be careful when burning candles. They are pretty and smell good, but they can be very danergerous.
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

  • #2
    Re: Candle Safety....

    Wow! That is scarey!
    Could have been so much worse.
    sigpic

    "What would you like most to do - what is your dream?"
    Proud volunteer for the Dream Factory of
    St. Louis.
    check out web site: www.stldreamfactory.org

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Candle Safety....

      Wow belle, glad Gregg is doing ok. I'm always a little nervous when I have candles lit in the house. Thanks for the reminder to not leave them unattended!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Candle Safety....

        My daughter has this little warming plate thingy that she got at Michaels. It melts the candle from the bottom, so there's no flame. Also, the candle lasts a lot longer. Of course it has to be the kind of candle that comes in a jar.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Candle Safety....

          On the bright side, your bathroom smells great!!!

          j/k

          Glad to hear it worked out for you guys, and I am glad Sir Clinks is ok. (on a side note, I thought he always wore his metal armor, he should have flipped his face mask down...



          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Candle Safety....

            ^ LOL!!! My armor was being polished.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Candle Safety....

              i love candles, always be careful with the little ones near them!

              Orlando doing good
              http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

              www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
              Princess of Randomness

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Candle Safety....

                Use a snuffer for candles too. it helps keep wax from going everywhere. Though in belle's case, I know that would have been impossible.

                Also make sure any animals are away from candles. i had a cat who got on the bathroom counter where I had a candle going and he singed his tail when he got to close to the flame.
                Katie :yea:
                Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!








                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Candle Safety....

                  Originally posted by Disneykat View Post
                  Use a snuffer for candles too. it helps keep wax from going everywhere. Though in belle's case, I know that would have been impossible.

                  Also make sure any animals are away from candles. i had a cat who got on the bathroom counter where I had a candle going and he singed his tail when he got to close to the flame.
                  yeah, a cat walking around with flames on it's tail, isnt a good thing

                  Orlando doing good
                  http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

                  www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
                  Princess of Randomness

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Candle Safety....

                    Oh wow. Glad his injury wasn't more serious!
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...


                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Candle Safety....

                      Originally posted by ksejr1 View Post
                      yeah, a cat walking around with flames on it's tail, isnt a good thing







                      Somehow, I don't think that it would be "walking"... More like running on a hot tin roof!


                      But yeah, either way, it wouldn't be a good thing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Candle Safety....

                        yea I heard a WOOOSH and saw part of his tail singed...Poor kitty
                        Katie :yea:
                        Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                        :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!








                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Candle Safety....

                          Originally posted by PirateMickey View Post
                          Somehow, I don't think that it would be "walking"... More like running on a hot tin roof!


                          But yeah, either way, it wouldn't be a good thing.
                          it's cuz i pictured a kitty not realizing it's tail was on fire yet!

                          Orlando doing good
                          http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

                          www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
                          Princess of Randomness

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Candle Safety....

                            I always assumed that a candle would burn down to the bottom, and then the flame would 'drown' in the melted candle wax - not so; I once had a glass candle (think large Shot Glass) burn all the way down on a table next to the bed (we had fallen asleep... it was romantic while it lasted...); as near as I can figure out, the candle burned down, the wax itself continued to burn, the glass container exploded - which woke us up! - and burning hot candle wax jumped everywhere: it ignited the drapes, caught my pillow on fire, and fell on the floor (hardwood floors - no rugs / carpeting, thank God...). We put all the fire out very quickly, and no one was hurt (sorry SirClinksAlot), but
                            - Holiday Inn has us on their "No Repeat Business" list
                            - we're not welcome for Slumber Sleepovers at my In-Laws any more
                            - we've now had to do the "Romance Thing" with Mini-Mag Lites and cellophane...
                            Sorry, but I wanted to end my True Tragic Tale with a little humor (choose your favorite)
                            EQ
                            "I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Candle Safety....

                              Originally posted by EvilQueen View Post
                              I always assumed that a candle would burn down to the bottom, and then the flame would 'drown' in the melted candle wax - not so; I once had a glass candle (think large Shot Glass) burn all the way down on a table next to the bed (we had fallen asleep... it was romantic while it lasted...); as near as I can figure out, the candle burned down, the wax itself continued to burn, the glass container exploded - which woke us up! - and burning hot candle wax jumped everywhere: it ignited the drapes, caught my pillow on fire, and fell on the floor (hardwood floors - no rugs / carpeting, thank God...). We put all the fire out very quickly, and no one was hurt (sorry SirClinksAlot), but
                              - Holiday Inn has us on their "No Repeat Business" list
                              - we're not welcome for Slumber Sleepovers at my In-Laws any more
                              - we've now had to do the "Romance Thing" with Mini-Mag Lites and cellophane...
                              Sorry, but I wanted to end my True Tragic Tale with a little humor (choose your favorite)
                              EQ
                              wow i figured it would burn at the bottom also

                              Orlando doing good
                              http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

                              www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
                              Princess of Randomness

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X