This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoghurt preferences

Anyone have an opinion as to what yoghurt is the best? I need to eat it for the calcium (not a milk drinker) and the active yoghurt cultures, but most are so full of sugar (Yoplait) that it is counter productive to eat. I don't like the fruit at the bottom kind.

Thanks all!

Re: Yoghurt preferences

If you have a Trader Joe's near your area, try the Fage brand Greek Style yogurt - it's a very rich and creamy, plain unflavored yogurt. They don't use gelatin to thicken it (which is why I don't like most American yogurts). They sell it plain, or with a side container of honey, which is nice because you can use just the amount you want.
    She did it!

Comment

I use a lot of Mountain High lowfat plain yogurt and mix it with my cereal in the morning instead of milk.
      Mike

Comment

I'm not a big yogurt person, but on occasion I like the Yoplait Whips, especially the key lime pie.

Comment

Originally posted by mcow1 View Post
          I use a lot of Mountain High lowfat plain yogurt and mix it with my cereal in the morning instead of milk.
          yeah, i do that as well

Comment

That fage is good!I was a bit weary of it, but mixedd w/honey it was yummy.

I use the store brans lite and mix it w/my ceral. But that has fake sugar in it
            Good morning, son
            In twenty years from now
            Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
            And I can tell you 'bout today
            And how I picked you up and everything changed
            It was pain
            Sunny days and rain
            I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Is this a new type of yogurt that is packed with broken glass?

Comment

Dannon Light & Fit has no sugar. It's not too bad.
                "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
                - Walt Disney

Comment

Dannon plain is actualy pretty good (the store brand sucks though and I accidentaly bought it the other day....)

I don't like all the sugers either, so for flavor (if I want it) I sometimes add a couple drops of almond extract and honey.....that's yummy.

other wise I use it in place of sour cream...
                  procrastibating

Comment

Yeah... I was trying to avoid the "light" yogurts since then they are filled with sugar substitutes (ick). And I like plain yogurt for a sour cream substitute, but not to just eat plain. Gotta have SOME flavor.

I'll check the Trader Joe's brand. Our TJ's is suppose to open "any day now" here in Corona. Looking forward to that!

Comment

I shop at Vons, and buy the Lucerne, nonfat plain yogurt. I put granola and fresh fruit in it to add flavor. I have bought other brands too, the Lucerne just always seems to be on sale when I am there.
                      San Diego Pole Parties

Comment

YoCrunch. Most places don't sell it but it's one of the few yogurts without geletian, it has live cultures instead. It comes with a mix in granola and I think it's delicious.

Comment

You know there are so many other ways to obtain calcium besides milk derived products. Plus, we shouldn't be drinking milk anyway!

Leafy green vegetables
                          Broccoli, kale, spinach
                          Fruits
                          Oranges
                          Beans and peas
                          Tofu, peanuts, peas, black beans, baked beans
                          Fish
                          Salmon, sardines
                          Miscellaneous
                          Sesame seeds, blackstrap molasses, corn tortillas, almonds, brown sugar

Vitamin D is also necessary to allow the body to absorb the calcium. In the US, milk is fortified with Vitamin D, and a few other foods are sometimes also vitamin D-fortified (such as some types of cereal and bread). This vitamin occurs naturally in only a few foods, such as fatty fish (salmon, sardines) and egg yolks. In addition to dietary sources, sunlight can provide the body with Vitamin D as it is synthesized through the skin.
                          Importantly, recent research has pointed to phosphorus and carbonated beverages (which contain phosphoric acid) as having a negative impact on bone density. Theoretically, the equilibrium between phosphorus and calcium causes the latter to be replaced in bone by the former.

Comment

STONEYFIELD FARMS...ORGANIC...WONDERFUL. The best I've had here stateside.

Also -- trader joes ...vanilla bean....looks just like the "wallaby" brand but is on average $.20less expensive. Wouldn't be surprised if it's same manufacturer just private labeled for TJs.
                            Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Comment

Originally posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
                              Plus, we shouldn't be drinking milk anyway!
                              That is a matter of opinion.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X