This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Weekend in Denver and the Bolder Boulder! Trip Report

Thought I'd post a little Trip Report about my Memorial Weekend. I went out to CO to visit my parents and to walk the Bolder Boulder 10k with my dad.

All my pictures (many many pictures) are in this flickr set

I arrived in CO 2 hours late on Friday, thanks to delays and more delays. United was not my friend. However, it was fabulous to sleep in my big bed in my room that I call "The Cave"

Saturday was Denver day. My parents were nice enough to let me indulge in my history and architectural interest and we went to the Molly Brown house and the Byers-Evans house. I took pics along the way.

One of the things I love about Colorado is that there is so much open space. The towns are still spread out and there's actual fields between them. Of course, that's shrinking, and my parents town has already grown SO MUCH in the few years since I've moved away.

Case in point...
    future home of Super Wal-Mart and a Sam's Club. This is the south end of town. A Super Wal-Mart already moved into the north end of town.

Approaching Downtown Denver!

Invesco Field! I have NO IDEA who plays here!

Elitch Gardens

This used to be a cool learning aquarium called Ocean Journey then they went bankrupt and now it's this chi chi restaurant and they give tours too.

for being such a new city, Denver has a great bit or architecture and interesting historical buildings.

The Tivoli Building

Downtown ... Ted's Bufffalo BBQ!

Peek a Boo! The convention Center

Denver Mint! (Look for the D on your quarters!)

My dad told me this was the old Rocky Mountain News building. (He worked there for awhile) So sad The RMN got bought out by the Denver Post a few years ago. Makes me wanna cry :crybye:

I saw the following and thought it was odd a bunch of row houses were downtown - then i realized they were bail bond businesses :lol: I think my dad said they were across from the jail

My brother used to work in this building (the Security Life Center)

Ok, we eventually parked between the two houses. Right next to this confusing parking meter

So, it's a loading zone 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mon. to Fri. but metered all other times. Except maybe it's only metered until 6 p.m. and only Mon to Fri. Though maybe it's not Metered Sundays and holidays. But maybe 6 p.m to 7 a.m. there's no restrictions? We were confused )

Some of the cool buildings on our way to the Molly Brown House:

This is the Denver Women's Press Club building. I love how it's still standing despite the parking lots around it.

Salvation army building

A little more modern...

GO RAMS!

We arrived at the Molly Brown house just when a tour was starting. I loved her house. Molly Brown is best known for surviving the Titanic sinking (and then organizing the survivor's club and making sure EVERYONE had food, water, money, shelter, were able to contact their loved ones etc) but she was also a STRONG force in Denver politics and the women's movement. She seemed like an awesome lady! Her house is 3 stories and has been everything from an orphanage to a boarding house!

Pics weren't allowed inside but here are a few outside.

The back:

Up next: more Denver sights and the Byers-Evans house
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 06-08-2007, 03:03 PM.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Re: Memorial Weekend in Denver and the Bolder Boulder! Trip Report

Denver, part 2!
    On our way to the Byers-Evans house, we passed the Colorado History Museum

The Denver Public Library - the temptation to stop in there was soooooooooo strong!

The Denver Art museum - all three of thoe buildings are right next to each other. I love how downtown is so compact. The art museum keeps expanding so it has several buildings. Here's the main one:

This looked like fiber optic cable - so cool!

On top of the art building across the street. Look carefully... this was so well crafted it blew my mind.

This was between the other art building and the library - you can see how close they are.

Backside of the main building:

Getting artsy...

The Byers-Evans house was right next door, and we had an hour until the next tour so we went to lunch. I would have rather gone here:

but my parents don't drink (and don't know I do!) so we went here instead:

Funny story... years ago, my friend and I ended up at a sweet hotel in Denver called Hotel Teatro.

However, the valet lost my friend's keys, so we had our own personal, adorable, at our beck and call, driver all weekend (shout out to Willis!) Our last morning we wanted breakfast and he suggested... you guessed it - DOZENS! So being so close to it again by chance reminded me of some fun times with a friend. BTW, the food was as good as I remembered

Also- hidden Mickeys!

Then it was tour time!
    This is from the opposite side of the house but you could LITERALLY step outside to the art building (this is a third building - I think the newest addition) without a problem. it was THAT close!!!! Kinda threw off the feel of the place.

This is the new main entrance. The original is around the corner.

Original entrance:

The carriage house (and my dad!)

The back of the house (see how close the art museum building is?)

Looking down the driveway to the main art museum building.

The juxtaposition of the house vs. the building:

I am so not going to get this story straight but to the best of my recollection.... Byers the newspaper guy owned the house and sold it to Evans when Evans was the governor to be. His son lived in the house for awhile. His son had 3 daughters who never married and they lived there most of their lives. Eventually the Evans wife (when she was a widow) and daughter moved in and they built a whole other wing for them!! But one of the Byers girls was into art and donated the property for the art museum, which is why it's so close to the house. Also, until a few years ago, the last remaining Byers girl lived in the house - she bequeathed the house to the historical society when she died. They had to unmodernize some BUT! as a result - most of the original furnishings are still there. (I might have the names mixed up!)

Ok, we were allowed to take non flash pics inside so here are a few.

The detail in these old houses (compared to now) is astounding!

The tiled fireplace in the dining room.

One of the Evans girls was a pianist, so they changed the front room into a music room - and had to move the staircase to fit the piano in! The original landing became this cool closet.

The master bedroom - WITH a sink and walk in closet (closets were counted as rooms back then and were taxed so having closets, esp. walking was a big sign that you were rich)

The Youngest? Evans daughter was into sewing and leather tooling. These are her original tools.

Bathroom 1.

One of the Evans girls was into baseball. Her original glove.

Bathroom 2

Here's the wing that was added on. It included a large sitting room, a porch, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. And a staircase that goes nowhere (possibly to the attic. It might have been closed off when they added an elevator).

The porch:

This was the master bedroom in the new wing. She was into the southwest look:

The other bedroom:

The formal dining room:

Ms. Evans loved this pattern so much that she didn't want anyone else to have it so she had the company discontinue the pattern after she bought her set. Below you can see her signature - it was on all the pieces (yes this is the original set)

The kitchen!

The original stove (and the tour guide showing the waffle iron) The Evans daughter who lived there still made her coffee on it every morning!

This little doohickey told the ice man how many pounds of ice to leave every day!

That's it for the home tours
    More pics of Denver and the rest of the trip tomorrow
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

sigpic

Comment

The architecture in that city is fantastic!

Comment

Wow,Nice pictures.havent been to Denver in 20 years so nice to see again,Thanks for sharing.

Comment

great pics!! Thanks! My brother lives in Boulder, and we didn't even get there!!

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
          Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
          Originally Posted by MWalton
          :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

Comment

Welcome guys!!
            A few pics of Boulder are coming up Tassie!
            Bummer you couldn't make it - it's quite an eclectic city!!

So after the Byers-Evans house, we took a different way back to the car.

The typewriter Building.

The back of the library

A really big chair, a very small horse and me!!!

The judicial building. The stairs were so freaking cool.

Capital Building!

This is a church that Molly Brown helped fund. My dad wouldn't let me get closer - he freaked because we were suddenly in the bad part of town.

Random pics...

Loved the reflection...

eye candy more architecture

The carpool lanes used to be open one direction during morning rush hour then the other direction during evening rush hour. It's the same now, but they also allow single drivers to buy a pass to use the carpool lane (the gets electronically read). To stop lane jumping, there's a concrete barrier.

Westminster to the Left... Thornton to the Right!

Away from the city, back to the rolling hillsides...

My parents live in town.... but THIS is the view from the end of their cul de sac...

It's a large animal vet!

And my dad's latest project... He kept calling it his "berm" and I'd crack up everytime, thinking of Disneyland's berm!
            Some day it'll be pretty

That night we spent a few hours chatting with their neighbors (gossip!) then just chilled out at home. My parents were worn out!

SUNDAY
            We went to church!
            Back through the fields!

Back when I lived there, the church was this building:

Now they have increased the size of the sanctuary, added a whole new wing, new gym, new classrooms, a chapel AND an entire school!
            The school:

More new:

The new is the light color on the left - old is the dark brown on the right.

The view from the back of the church = breathtaking.

While I was taking pictures, I saw a bunny rabbit, who was nice enough to pause in the parking island until I got too close.

Back in town after church:

Here's their competing church... it's HUGE too!

We did a little shopping :yea: then headed to a new chi chi (mostly) shopping center in Loveland. My mom wanted to eat this new Italian restaurant

It was DELICIOUS! Soooo good. I recommend this highly!
            There's a PF Changs next to it. Next time!

After walking in the HOT!!! sun and a cool down in Barnes and Noble, we headed home to chill out because we had to be up early Monday for the Bolder Boulder!!!!!!!!!!! :yea:
            Good morning, son
            In twenty years from now
            It was pain
            Sunny days and rain

sigpic

Comment

Yes, Memorial Day dawned early!
              It was time for the Bolder Boulder 10k!
              a few fast facts:
              ~ They broke the registration record - over 50,000 people registered!
              ~ It's the second-largest running race in the United States and sixth largest in the world!
              ~ Besides the citizen's race/walk, they have a professional wheelchair race and international team races.

My mom dropped my dad and I off at the bus stop.

I was wearing my bandanna that Apolo Anton Ohno signed and my official 2006 Olympics shirt. I was ready!!

Along the way there are people cheering you on and musicians and entertainers. A lot of people dress in crazy costumes, too, like a banana (the best part was watching the banana go down the slip and slide) and hula girls... there was a cow.

Ok, no, the BEST part was when the Colorado Guard walked through the crowd carrying the flag - everyone clapped. It was AWESOME.

Here we are, at KM number 9! 1 to go. I was ready to fall over and die.
              (Sorry it's blurry. My mom was sacred to use zoom )

The race ends (after a lovely hill) in the CU Boulder stadium.
              We met up w/my mom there.
              This is my FAVORITE part of the mountains - they're called the Flatirons.

They always a do a Blue Angel flyover and have guys parachute down w/flags. Lee Greenwood supposedly sang live.

We stayed to watch the professional women run their 10k.

And then the men start.
              Here's the lining up by country as the teams are called:

Ready....

Set...

GO!!!!!!!

We then went to the Expo (yay free stuff!) and we were able to watch the men on their final push to the finish line!
              In first!

Colorado had its own team, along with a U.S. team

Hey, someone has to be last!

We walked back to the car (I was dragging behind!) using the path by the Boulder Creek.
              You can't really tell but those portholes were leaking! It reminded me of the zoo.

The river was rollicking!!

Then I went home and collapsed! ) My dad cooked chicken on the grill for dinner. It was fabulous!!!

One more more day to go (I'll post it tomorrow!)
              Good morning, son
              In twenty years from now
              It was pain
              Sunny days and rain

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the pics! I grew up in Fort Collins and really want to go visit and show my family CO. I loved going to Denver to go to Casa Bonita, loved that place as a child! My dad worked in Loveland and I hear it has all changed and grown!

Comment

I went to the Aquarium last Dec. It was actually still pretty cool. And the restaurant was really yummy! Did you go?
                  "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
                    Look at NNL in her sexy running outfit! You go girl:yea:

Comment

ok- could you all let us CO people know when you are coming? We always miss you

Comment

Originally posted by frecky View Post
                        I went to the Aquarium last Dec. It was actually still pretty cool. And the restaurant was really yummy! Did you go?
                        No, there wasn't time, and it looked pretty pricey. Though when we drove by, my mom said we should have gone. Maybe next time!!

Originally posted by Disney1978 View Post
                        Look at NNL in her sexy running outfit! You go girl:yea:
                        Awww, thanks girl!! I think I look stupid but I got up at 5:45 a.m. so I was still out of it )

Originally posted by Nephythys View Post
                        ok- could you all let us CO people know when you are coming? We always miss you
                        There really wasn't any time to get together with anyone It was such a quick trip in and out. I might be there next Memorial Weekend, though, and if so, I'll try hard to gather a meet!

Ok... last part!!!
                        Tuesday, the day I went home
                        My mom went to the dentist and my dad worked in the morning so I lazed around and packed. Heh. It was OK, though, I barely could walk anyway.
                        I had forgotten to take a pic of the mtns from my parents house...

The clouds were rolling in but picture mountains above the fence

THEN! the storm came in!
                        You can see it starting to rain here:

Now, I grew up in NY so I know storms but NOTHING is like a Colorado rainstorm! And since it barely rains, let alone STORMS in California, I took this a sign.

so I did what I'd normally do: grabbed a book and sat out on the front porch to read.
                        The neighbor girl let me borrow her Harry Potter book... now THAT is well loved book (and the fact that it's from a household of five kids ages 9 to 1!)

There was lightning beyond that house but I was never able to get a shot of it.

It started POURING!!!! I oved every second of it.

Thanks to Barry, I'd been craving Chik-A-Fila but that didn't happen. So, for lunch, we went to the next best thing that I never get to: Sonic!
                        I got my favorite: Chicken strip dinner - hold the fries, add cheese tots and a cherry limeade.

de FREAKIN licious! (drool)

By this time, it had stopped raining but the clouds were still a bit threating.

Off to the airport and what's this....
                        HAIL!!!

It looked like snow.

Cow in the airport wearing headphones? OK!

I love DIA. The best part (besides the underground trains!) is that there's plenty of room for non-ticketed people to chill.

Eventually I said goodbye :crybye: and headed to my gate. Now, to get from the train to the gate, you go up 1 escalator, turn the corner and go up another...
                        And WHAT do I see appearing before my eyes?
                        CROCS MECCA!!!!

I immediately snapped a pic and sent it to my mom :lol: Then took a few of these for Pengy and the other Croc lovers!!
                        Sadly they didn't have Disney Crocs but they had MANY other kinds! Two huge kiosks plus racks in between. Wow.

I also love this thing too:

Ah, the United terminal, one of my other "homes:

well, most of the flights were delayed due to fog. No big surprise. We gate hopped 3 gates too whee!! It was still raining on (downpours) and off. I was glad I'd stopped at Barnes and Noble so I had some cheap reads to occupy me.
                        Also, it was fun watching the guys hook up the carts and load the luggage.

So, it was a great trip, I always miss CO A LOT when I visit... then I remember snow and why I left and am glad to only visit it )
                        thanks for reading.
                        Oh many MANY pics at: my Memorial weekend Flickr Set

THE END!!!!
                        Good morning, son
                        In twenty years from now
                        It was pain
                        Sunny days and rain

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a great trip! We just drove through Denver, never been there - I may just have to take a trip one day!
                          sigpic
                          Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

:lmao: Oh my gosh!! I've never seen so many Crocs in my life!!! Thats way to funny!!!

I think the only time I've been in Denver (that I remember) is way back in '88, I changed planes at the airport on my way to Dallas. Never even left the terminal.

But those are some amazing buildings!!! The art museum is incredible!! Maybe someday I'll make it back up there!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                            all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

I just saw a show that featured the airport above. It was actually talking aboutt he roof, but how cool to see it again.

Wonderful trip report. i enjoyed it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X