Over 30...

Ad Widget

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over 30...

If you are 30 or older you may think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious
    diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what
    with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning ... uphill BOTH ways
    yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in
    hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I
    had it and how easy they've got it! But now that... I'm over the ripe
    old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of
    today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a
    damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today you don't know how good you've got
    it! I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted
    to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up
    ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email! ! We had to actually write somebody a letter ... with a
    pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the
    mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to
    hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to
    wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over
    the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and
    somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! And we didn't have
    fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it
    was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, a collections
    agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with
    high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like "Space Invaders"
    and "asteroids" and the graphics sucked a$$! Your guy was a little square! You actually
    had to use your imagination! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just
    one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and
    harder and faster and faster until you died! . Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating!
    All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat
    in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that was only like 15
    channels and there was no onscreen menu and no remote control! You had to use a
    little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your
    *arrogant cornholio* and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon
    Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear
    what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up. We had to use the
    stove or go build a frigging fire ... imagine that! If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that
    stupid Jiffy Pop thing and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too
    easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

The over 30 Crowd

Re: Over 30...

Looking for the truth about giraffes?

So true :lol:
      Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

Thats awesome! I actually miss my TV Guide...not enough to actually go buy one, but still :-)

A little piece of heaven

Love it!

But there was call waiting and microwaves in 1980.

Originally posted by aimster View Post
            Love it!

But there was call waiting and microwaves in 1980.
            Well, if someone was born in 1980 they'd be 27, so not over 30. But, everything said in the OP is so very true! I think I'd die if I didn't have my cell phone now ... and I kinda miss rotary phones and the sound it would make as the dial made its turn.

There were never truer words spoken. :lmao:

My kids (22 and 18) did not know what a rotary phone was or how it worked when we found one at a Goodwill. When we showed them what an 8 track was they really thought we were old.

I so love that :lmao:

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

I remember waiting all week to watch cartoons - or that little bit of time right after school.

That is really funny.
                    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

My kids are spoiled by Cartoon Network. They don't know the pain I suffered all week
                      spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

I think my parents still have my old stereo that had an 8-track player in it.

So who remembers those big honkin' record players that were a literal piece of furniture?

For the most part, right on the mark!

Here in most parts of SoCal, cable TV as we know it now wasn't even available until after we were still stuck with 2,4,5,7,9,11,13...and Channel 28 PBS) on the UHF dial...

We subscribed to "ON" tv. Anyone else remember that? You put a signal decoder box on your TV set...and after 7pm or so, Channel 52 went into scramble mode and for a fee you got movies, and local sports home games (unheard of on TV until that time).

But I do remember getting our first push-button phone back in 1970.

Remember "113" as the number for "information" and not just "directory assistance"?

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

And so I now feel old.......It must have been walking 10 miles to school uphill in the snow both ways here in Phoenix. )

That reminds me of a time back in the mid-90's, a friend and I were talking about the specifications of how a CD worked and wrote the data from the inside to the outside. My response was, yeah, backwards to how they made records. His daughter who was around 15 at the time looked at us and said, "How does a record work?" I felt old that day, and I was only in my late twenties.

Just think, thirty years from now our kids will be telling theirs, man you have it so easy, we had to actually type our emails and find a wi-fi connection to send messages to our friends, you have it so easy with you telekinesis headsets. It reminds me of in Back to the Future 2 when Marty finds the Duck Hunt game and gets it working. The future kid looks at him and says something like, "You have to use your hands, how childish."

Great post by the way.
                            Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

On the other hand, VD didn't use to kill people.
                              Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Ad Widget