• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me with my resume

Any suggestions?

So... what do you think?

Re: Please help me with my resume

I don't think your interests and hobbies, whatever they are, belong on a resume. Stick to your education, skills and experience to appear professional.

Comment

I know there are templates on Word and other programs which make space for hobbies/interests, but that also depends on what type of job your are applying for.

Also, just putting some fancy worded statement that pretty much just comes down to loving Disney usually won't go over so well. When I was getting out of college I used the interests/hobbies section to list the clubs I was involved in, my positions and what I did in those clubs. Something like proves to be much more helpful to you.

I wish you well in organizing your resume though, it is tough to get it nice and polished.

Comment

I would only mention an interest in Disney if it is applicable. If you are applying for a position where customer service is key, then it might make sense to mention you believe in Disney's CS philosophy or something like that. And it would belong in a cover letter, not a resume.

But if it is just an interest...like a hobby or something you enjoy in your free time, leave it off the resume.
        Originally posted by All4dISNEY
        Words hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
          I don't think your interests and hobbies, whatever they are, belong on a resume. Stick to your education, skills and experience to appear professional.
          I agree. My resume includes: Summary of Skills (i.e. office equipment, typing speed and software/computer prgorams I know) Education, and Work History.

The resume is just to get your foot in the door for the interview. If you get the interview you can relate your hobbies and interests if the interviewee asks or you feel comfortable doing so. But in most interviews I've been through, that never comes up.

Comment

From what I read no Disney on resume, got it.
            Thanks for the tips.

So... what do you think?

Comment

Yes, no interests. Period. They don't car.

Comment

^^^
                good point
                So... what do you think?

Comment

Skip interests, clubs, religious stuff, etc. You may scare someone away by talking about your hobbies. They are not paying you to have interests at work, they're paying you to work.

Best of luck!

Comment

Max makes a good point...
                    Never put information like religion or age. That can be dangerous.

Oh, and never put photos.
                    Words hurt.

Comment

Also, if you want to post your resume, and omit personal info, we can help with style, etc. Additionally, the old rule of 'no more than one page' is dead. Many employers feel if you can't fill two pages you might not have done enough. Just a thought, don't feel trapped to one page.

Comment

Originally posted by Aristocat View Post
                        Max makes a good point...
                        Never put information like religion or age. That can be dangerous.

Oh, and never put photos.
                        I didnt know people put pictures on their resumes. i know actors have a head shot, but thats different
                        So... what do you think?

Comment

You'd be surprised. Every time we post an ad, we get a least one person who includes a photo.
                          Words hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer View Post
                            Also, if you want to post your resume, and omit personal info, we can help with style, etc. Additionally, the old rule of 'no more than one page' is dead. Many employers feel if you can't fill two pages you might not have done enough. Just a thought, don't feel trapped to one page.
                            Yes this is true. I also read that if you have more than 5 years experience more than one page is acceptable. It may be 10 years, I don't remember. But my resume is 2 pages and I have 8 years experience.

Comment

If you are enrolled in the Disney College program or graduated from the enrollment, I would include that in your resume. That would be considered part of
                              "Disney".

Only focus on your education and past work experience. And if you've done any community work relating to your job, I would include that in your resume.

Good Luck!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X