This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! -- When Ants invade

Well I just noticed that inside my sliding glass door I have a trail of ants, but it's hard because they're in the carpet. I have thick carpet so I can't really follow the trail.

I know I should just spray ant spray, but I have birds who are highly sensitive to sprays and most are toxic to them. Then I have cats and dogs who roam freely and are very curious.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of these ants that are animal friendly?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help! -- When Ants invade

There are bug sprays that are non-toxic and can be found at your local hardware or maybe even grocery store. Orange oil sprays are the most popular, though I used one that was made from herb oils, that worked okay, too.
    Originally posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

Comment

I've used this one before...
      http://www.safeinsecticide.com/index.html
      Originally posted by All4dISNEY
      Words hurt.

Comment

Try cinnamon along your door. (w/o sugar of course....)

Comment

Been having major ant issues myself lately. My mom suggests a mixture of sugar and talcum powder. The sugar attracts them, and they eat it and the powder, which kills them. It's not fast, but at least I can use it around my dog.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Hairspray. Seriously.

Comment

- I use the hairspray on REALLY scary spiders.
              - I use Talc on the ants. Spread the talc along your baseboards. Apparently they do not like to cross through the stuff. We had a major invasion during the late winter and I bombarded the place with talc. In some areas they were gone within an hour and within a few days they were no where to be found at all.
              - I really hate ants. In our first apartment we had them and I so just wanted to pack up and move. Now we own and when they came in I was still telling my husband we needed to move.

Good Luck

Comment

If they are sugar ants, we have used this stuff called Tarro. It is a liquidy/gel and you place on a piece of cardboard and put in the path of the ants (but out of the way for pets). They eat it (I guess). It does a pretty good job of getting rid of them.

Comment

I'm having the same friggin problem lately. I called Clark Pest control and slowly but surely , the ants are dying off.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by RPerez3 View Post
                    - I use Talc on the ants. Spread the talc along your baseboards. Apparently they do not like to cross through the stuff.
                    Talk/baby powder, definitely. Apparently they can't breath when injested and it drowns them. I didn't believe it til I tried it. Now I swear by it.....and no noxious fumes for the birds.
                    What time is the 3 o'clock parade?

http://www.myspace.com/pduliere

Comment

"WHEN ANTS ATTACK!!!" Sounds like a reality show on Fox or something LOL
                      Honestly my cousins in San Antonio were having a similar problem when I was visiting last month. And I knew it in no uncertain terms (Ouch bites everywhere all over my body!). They called a local pest control agent guy and he was going to help them with the problem without harm to pets or their young children. I'm not sure what they ended up doing. But you ae not alone with ant problems.
                      Originally posted by aashee
                      We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

this must be the year of the ants or something, i've been finding them all over my house as well this year, and i've not had a problem before with them in the 10 years we've been living in reno....
                        Will there be screams when the sun sets,
                        -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
                        elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
                        Originally posted by pratt55
                        Elly is adorkable.

Comment

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! Some of them I've never heard of before such as the baby powder. I'll probably end up using all of the suggestions because they're all over my back yard too.

Comment

Use boric acid.
                            my grandma told us that if mix some sugar water with some boric acid on a lid from a butter dish then put outside on a place where your animals can't get it the ants will be attracted to the sugar and then take the sugar/slash boric acid back to the nest and all of the rest of the ants will die because of the acid. We did this 5 years ago and haven't had an ant since.

Comment

This is the first year we've had ants at this house (in 3 years), so, yes, it is the year of the ant. We've had ants at our last house BIG TIME. We tried every trick in the book (cinnamon, talc/baby powder, chalk, orange spray, etc.) The only thing that kept them out of the house was an exterminator who sprayed around the house (not inside because of the animals) and when that stopped working, we had to put out bait traps for them to come into the house even more for a few weeks. This brought in the workers who brought back the poison to the queen and when she dies they leave. That worked one year. But the next year we had to have the exterminator spray inside the walls where they were living.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X