This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlanta welcomed the world 11 years ago

11 years ago, yesterday, The 1996 Olympics began in my hometown of Atlanta. Of course everyone remembers the Opening Ceremony and its' very moving moment when Muhammad Ali lifted the torch up in the air and lit the cauldron. I am not even sure if the organizers of the Opening Ceremony realized how moving and emotional the moment would be. It ended up dwarfing the rest of the ceremony itself. If not, no one would have been able to forget this, Atlanta's really campy and unabashedly southern "Welcoming The World" complete with Cheerleaders, Dancers, steppers, a marching band, cloggers, and pickup trucks! Doesn't seem like it would all add up and fit together but they made it work! Nonetheless if remembered outside of Atlanta it probably would be a huge embarrassment since an Olympic ceremony is supposed to be formal and cultured.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Po9AV3p7qkU

Originally posted by aashee
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

Re: Atlanta welcomed the world 11 years ago

I also thought it was a shame to tear the cauldron down after the games were over. There were many in Atlanta who did not like the design and thought it should be torn down. I liked it. No matter what the cauldron should have kept somewhere. The problem was where to put it. The Olympic stadium was designed to become the current baseball stadium for the Atlanta Braves. that is in contrast to LA's Coliseum which stands today and is used as a football stadium.

I was a teen at the time of these games but that does not make me less proud or want to shy away from my memories of them. I am greatly disappointed that many did come away with your feelings O-Nut. You're not alone.

The lighting can be seen here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5TaITzi64Sw
      Originally posted by aashee
      We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X